Is the Bird a heavy bike?

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Is the Bird a heavy bike?

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:41 pm

I've heard a few peeps commenting on how heavy the Bird is, and I must admit that compared to a 900 Blade it is. However, my previous bike was a Pan with ABS/TCS (gives a bit of extra weight apparently), so I used to think the Bird was light by comparison. Certainly the Pan is very finely balanced and is a dream to ride - but not a patch on the Bird for power and thrill of the ride (although you can still chuck a Pan at the bends and it takes it with ease). The Projects Director at work bought her hubby a Pan for Crimbo, and I took delivery of it for her as it was a surprise pressy. Once I'd helped the midget (yes, he was much smaller than me) to get it off the back of the van, I had a ride around the car park on it. Still felt well balanced, and when moving you don't feel the weight. But start to heave the bloody thing around manually when parking up etc, and boy oh boy did it feel heavy. Much heavier than the xx . Weight difference is about 140lbs - which is almost my bodyweight. So I conclude - the xx isn't heavy unless you compare it to a sports bike.

Now I feel a lot better about humping my xx around in the garage or the driveway, knowing that some poor bastid out there is having to hump an extra 10stone around cuz he bought a Pan instead of the best bike in the world :mrgreen: And would I ever go back to a Pan after the Bird :? NO cuz the xx gives me SATISFACTION and relieves more stress than anything I know - except perhaps :hump) or :blowme) :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Marxx » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:49 pm

I Dont think that the bike is that heavy, but when i take it off the centre stand i normaly sit on it :P whilst holding the centre stand peg with me left foot so it doesn't whack the can!!!! :banghead) i had a ZX6R before and like you said Taz sports bikes are much lighter.I dont see how anyone can complain when you go blasting past all the other bikes weight aint an issue :D :D
Bring on the dry & warm weather !
It's not the speed that kill's it's the sudden stop!!
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Simon S » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:20 pm

I think the general answer too that is uking heavy.
When i took a demonstrator out before buying mine ,i rode it home and then lowered it down on a matress in the drive to see if i could pick the bastid up :P. I did manage to but it was a hell of a lot heavyer that the Fazer i was selling and nearly ruptured myself in the prosess :P :bigcry:
If your a 10 stone weakling buy a Fireblade :roll) .Or as i do pretend your not a 10 stone weakling :(
Simon S
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby rob_1961 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:14 pm

Oi taz how the fook can someone be SMALLER than you :mrgreen: [/quote]
Now on a busa
rob_1961
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:17 pm

Rob - get yer fookin head out of the clouds big fella :D Ain't EVERYONE small compared to you :P

Simon - I ain't quite 10stone, I'm just over 11, but ya don't have to be a heavyweight to handle a heavy bike - it just makes it easier to heft it around when manouevering that's all :D Body mass is less of an issue than leg length, and even on a Blade I still can't touch the fookin floor, so I may as well stick with the xx - after all, it does pack a serious punch :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby space invader » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:01 pm

You dont have to practice with a mattress to lift the 'bird off the floor.
When I dropped it, and rolled along the road into the centre of a roundabout, I managed to lift it up with one hand.....

(Mostly due to the fact that I was pulling my trousers up with the other!!)
Mental note: Dress trousers and falling off motorcycles in rush hour.....BAD......Don't do it again...... Wear leathers, even if your office is only 1 mile from your house......

I also once saw a 5' WPC put a Pan back on it's feet outside a bar in Glasgow after some local football supporters decided it would be amusing to set it down to see what she would do about it.... I was most impressed.
The Pan must be quite weighty with all the trimmings.

It's not about strength, it's about how pissed off, emabarrassed or humiliated you are at the time!!! Adrenaline is a scary substance!

Just ask a really huge man in his boxers with a bike reduced to it's component parts at 3 past 5 on a roundabout in the centre of town.....

Picking up a Blackbird..... Easy..... :D

TSI
space invader
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:22 pm

lol :stupid) Good job Deano wasn't there with his camera dude - your rear end would be splashed all over the forum lol :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby space invader » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:31 am

It was bad enough with my rear end being splashed all over the tarmac.....

Road rash is a bastid ain't it. I still have a white patch all the way up my forearm 3 years later where the velcro cuffs on my Frank Bastid Thomas jacket burst open and the sleeves rolled up over the elbows........

The worst bit is taking the small stones out with the nailbrush.... :bigcry:

Took a half bottle of Smirnoff before I could even try that.

That stings a bit...... :D

TSI
space invader
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Hawk » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:18 am

It is a heavy bike when you have to manouvre in traffic with a pillion, foot down kind of filtering stuff, busy London traffic.

It's heavy when you've got to walk it about to park it up, only sometimes, but if you take your time and use your strength and caution-its okay.

On the open road, and country lanes bike just goes for it, like any sports bike---but fookin quicker.

Get one, you won't be dis a pointed. (2 s's and 2 p's or 1 s and 2 p's??)

:mrgreen:
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Chuff » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:07 pm

.havin just changed from an early blade to my first xx i have noticed a slight weight increase but only when pushing the thing outta garage.........but now she's kitted with race cans the weight difference is greatly reduced......... so glad i didnt by another blade. :mrgreen:
Chuff

Re: Is the Bird a heavy bike?

Postby bov » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:22 pm

Taz said :- Now I feel a lot better about humping my xx around in the garage or the driveway,

If you are gonna hump your xx Taz it's better to just stick to the garage. You'll get nicked on your driveway..... :D . Happy new year mate! and all you like-minded loonies.
You have offended my family..........and you have offended the Shaolin Temple.
bov
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Gizzit » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:16 pm

There speaks a man of experience - judging by yer expression Bov, ya should ave waited fer it ta cool down a bit first m8 Image :oops)
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bov » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:37 am

Hey Giz. Some like it hot.... :oops)
You have offended my family..........and you have offended the Shaolin Temple.
bov
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn