Legal Advice Needed

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Legal Advice Needed

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:55 pm

White light has to be showing on the numberplate. Question : Does it have to cover a certain percentage of it and does it have to be visable from a determined distance ?

Also what would happen if you used these lights which don't give off white light ?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=www.mmrusa.com/LED1157.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mmrusa.com/lighting.htm&h=78&w=61&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dled%2Blight%2Bbulbs%26start%3D40%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:38 pm

Fuktifarno

Anyway, why not just leave the fookin standard ones on - they're legal, even if the headlamp is fookin crap (works OK in daylight though :? )
TazCBR1100XX

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:41 pm

Sorry, I should have put down that I wanted inteligent answers only... what the fook do you know fur ball ??? :D
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:47 pm

I know that my fookin lights are legal for one thing, and the front headlight is fookin crap for another :mrgreen:

So you wanted an intelligent answer then - OK, just for you, here's a bit of advice..............
Put 2 l's in intelligent so you don't wind up looking such a :knob) in future :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:54 pm

ok Mr INTELLIGENT but I was asking was for the rear light cluster you thick tvat, since when does your HEADLIGHT shine on your numberplate... get with the program... all those degrees don't amount to shite with you do they ?
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Simon S » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:14 pm

Erm....Excuse me :evil)
I dont think there is a legal requirment to say how much light is legal on a numberplate.
I think if some form of ilumination can be seen no one will take any notice of the light spread or brightness.
Anyway :gives)
It's a fooking lit for fooks sake mr police man sir :)
Simon S
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Legal Advice Needed

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:14 pm

BirdAddict wrote:White light has to be showing on the numberplate. Question : Does it have to cover a certain percentage of it and does it have to be visable from a determined distance ?

Engerlish ain't that fookin diffikult is it :? Now who's being fookin stoopid - the fookin headlight shines it's fookin white light on the fookin number plate of the fookin vehicle which is in fookin front of the fookin xx with the white fookin headlight :mrgreen: SO IT IS WHITE LIGHT and IT'S SHOWING on the numberplate AND it COVERS A CERTAIN PERCENTAGE (all of it in fact), AND it's defo VISIBLE FROM A DETERMINED DISTANCE :banghead)

Don't ya just love playing with words :mrgreen: :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:19 pm

TazCBR1100XX wrote:the front headlight is fookin crap

:wtf: You got fookin back "headlights" as well have ya? :roll) :tool) :mrgreen:
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:38 pm

BA- It's got to be a "white light capable of adequately illuminating the registration plate" You can't argue about the white light but the rest is up to interpretation as to whether you are taking the piss or not. There is no requirement as to bulb wattage same as all the other lamps.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

WHITE LIGHT

Postby birdcrazy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:12 pm

All i want to say is: WHO GIVES A FLYING FOOK IF ITS GOOD HEADLIGHT OR NOT ON OUR xx`S.
The botom line is : xx `s want and need to be ridden,and with bright white lights or not they dont give a shite!!!!!! So lets just 4get about the whole thing fellas and concentrate on a better debate as i was just about to fall asleep BIG TIME ZZZZZZZZZZZ :? :banghead) :mrgreen: :evil)
and then there is THE BLACKBIRD
birdcrazy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

BA

Postby birdcrazy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:14 pm

BA ; SINCE WHEN DO U GO OUT IN THE DARK 2 WORRY ABOUT WHITE LIGHTS ?????? :) 8) :evil) :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
birdcrazy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:41 am

To ALL,,,(excluding Bezzer)... Who the fook was talking about HEADLIGHT... now read my lips dumb asshole s ... the numberplate is on the back of the bike not the front, so we are talking about the rear light cluster not the fooking front headlight... how hard is it for you guys.?????
all I was asking was for the legal requirement for the amount of white light from the rear cluster that needs to show on the numberplate which is on the back of the bike under the rear light cluster which lets white light shine onto the said numberplate... confused ?????????????????????????? stupid twats :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) ... even Homer could get it... DOH
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:09 am

all I could find out is as follows mate:

"As far as the law is concerned, the normal requirements for lighting (in Britain) are that there should be two bright white front lights, two red tail lights, two red stop lights (if fitted - originally or later), a number plate light, and some form of indicator system (two arm-type semaphores or four flashing orange lights - again, if fitted as originally or later). All cars must have two rear red reflectors fitted, even if not supplied originally. There are some exemptions to this list, albeit for the earlier cars. If your car was manufactured prior to 31st January 1931, you do not have to have two rear side lights. M.G.s, even from the outset, were always fitted with a complete compliment of lights, except for directional indicators."

It is for cars (obviously) but I guess the same applies for number plates regardless of vehicle type, ie, they must have a light. It dont say how bright Image
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jonah » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:21 am

NOW, NOW, GUYS LET US HAVE PEACE IN THE RANKS
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Hawk » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:44 am

BA, can't you gaffer tape a torch onto the back of your seat so that it points down to your number plate??

This was a funny thread.
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:36 pm

So than xx to Bez for the only sensible answer :clap:
My understanding of the law is that the number plate has to be illuminated by a white light - THATS ALL !
FFS does it matter as long as u have the no. plate illuminated :roll)
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:21 pm

UPDATE: spoke to the guy at the MOT centre and he said that there is no rules other than the numberplate has to be illuminated so its recognisable , There is nothing to say what colour light and for MOT purposes even red light would do as would any other colour.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:33 pm

BA it does say "white light" in the Vehicle Lighting Regs your MOT man is wrong. There are the other parts of the Regs to also consider IE not showing other than a red light to the rear with the exceptions eg amber indicators, white reversing light etc AND white rear registration plate illumination.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

BA`s REAR ILLUMINATION

Postby birdcrazy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:44 pm

TYPICAL BA :mrgreen:
His MOT guy is WELL DODGY !!!!!! I know him 2 :mrgreen:
OOOOOps BA , Peter or little John told u PORKIES yet again :mrgreen:
ANYWAY as long as there is a white ( WHITE LIGHT ) shining on the number plate ,THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT ON THE AMOUNT OF WATTAGE,so its COOL :banghead) :banghead)
Ride assured DUDE !!!!!!!!!!
I think i know why u r so concerned with your rear illumination :mrgreen: U have been jumping red lights or BETTER dodging GATSOS :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
birdcrazy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby birdcrazy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:48 pm

YES BEEZER
I know all about those regulations as i was stopped on the M23 last July,and fined £30 cause i was showing 1 of those flashing tri-coloured(BLUE,GREEN,RED) led`s on the numberplate AS WELL as my white light :bigcry:
Bastids , :evil) :evil) :evil)
birdcrazy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:48 am

I don't want to throw a spanner in the works here folks, but my pups ped has only a full red light on the back - no white at all, and it's the original Peugeot lens too - so how does that fare in the equation then :?
TazCBR1100XX

Postby rob_1961 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:30 pm

Well taz mate look under the red light cover and there should be a clear section built in to it to shine on the plate
Now on a busa
rob_1961
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:06 pm

Well Rob mate, being the size that I am, I have no choice but to look under the red light cover :D But there isn't a clear plastic bit on it at all at all at all - I looked three times :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby birdcrazy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:58 pm

TAZ Don`t bother looking anymore as we know why your lads ped is like that .SIMPLY because its fooking FRRRRRRRENCH thats why :mrgreen:
Its a Peugeot ,NUFF said
birdcrazy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:34 pm

TazCBR1100XX wrote:but my pups ped has only a full red light on the back - no white at all, and it's the original Peugeot lens too - so how does that fare in the equation then :?

'Peds don't need no. plate illumination
Also u might find that the brake light is only actuated by 1 of the brake levers, not both
'Peds only need visible tread on the tyres as well
Fooked if i know why tho' :?
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn