Tyre repair- plugging

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Tyre repair- plugging

Postby bezzer » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:59 pm

Got a nail in the back tyre yesterday, luckily it's fairly well worn and due for replacement in Spring anyway. I carry a can of the sealant stuff in case of emergency but didn't have to use it as I didnt find it until I washed the bike off later.
It is in the main tread not the sidewall, the nail is all the way through, air is leaking out and I haven't pulled the nail out yet.

I was thinking of plugging it with one of the Repair Kits you can get because.........
A- I can get some practice on a fairly duff tyre in the comfort of my garage then I will have an idea how to do it if it ever happens out on the road.
B. I've just read Jonah's post on possible cheaper 020's which I'll be after so would ride it plugged for a short time while waiting for the result.

I've seen step by step photos of how to do it at various times in the mags and have a vague idea what to do but has anyone ever done it themselves?? SUCCESS :thumbsup) or FAILURE :thumbsdown) and anything to particularly watch for :wink) .
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Marxx » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:25 pm

Bezzer, im sure im about to get flamed BUT :banghead)
The tyre plugs that you can "do by the road side" are only get me homes and are restricted to about 30mph and not for prolonged use.
I had a puncture in my rear tyre about a month ago and got it plugged at a bike tyre shop (i didnt think you could plug Z rated tyres - but apparantly you can on the centre tread part ?????)as i didnt fancy trying to scrub in a new tyre over the winter period. I will be replacing it as soon as the weather picks up abit (Read-For peace of mind).
Hope this helps
I await the bo!!ockings et al :bigcry:
Mark
It's not the speed that kill's it's the sudden stop!!
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby bezzer » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:43 pm

I realise they are only "temporary" but believe you can leave them in a short while, the proper diy kits are not really a lot different to the tyre fitters kit . The main thing was to practice and if I end up going somewhere to get it replaced without taking the loose wheels, don't intend to do any real mileage or runs on it.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:17 am

I read an article in RiDE last year about tyre plugs. They were saying that some of the better ones were used for quite a few hundred miles, at speed, under full pressure, without any nasty side effects. Although not "recommended" for Z rated tyres, there is no reason to think that, if done properly, they shouldn't last a good while. After all, the modern vulcanising compounds used in these kits are very effective.

I'm afraid I can't remember which ones came out top but perhaps someone here may recall :)
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:29 am

Ta Gizz I remember something similar but not which mag it was, but...I've just checked the latest Ride(105) and the list of recommended bits and pieces goes back to issue 94 but no mention of tyre repair kits :banghead). Was it the BMW kit? that seems to ring a bell
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:56 am

Found it! Just had a look at me old copies. Issue 95 has the test. And the winner was...... well, there wasn't one actually :oops) perhaps it wasn't this test I was thinking about. But, the one that seemed to get the best overall comments was the Weldtite kit @£22.80 (contact 01652 660000) the main complaint about the kits in general was that with the compressed air cartridges supplied, it was not possible to get full pressure. Each cartridge was only capable of inflating to about 5 or 6 psi and there are only 3 in a kit!. But if you are going to be doing it from home, no problem :D
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:27 am

Ta bud :rockon)
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

tyre repairs

Postby one wheels enough » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:27 am

i have plugged many a tyre and done thousands of miles on them too, as you say once the tyre is off you can check the condition of the 'wound' and most people would have it repaired especially if you just had it fitted not wanting to throw away a new tyre, like anything if it is done correctly its not a problem :wink) .im not too sure on the ones you mention just a get you home sort of thing easy to carry and get you out of the sh*te :P
up up and away one wheel is enough
one wheels enough
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Marxx » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:34 pm

Bezzer, :oops) wasnt trying to take the pi$$, just wouldnt want you or anyone coming a cropper. I was told the info by a supposed "knowlegable tyre fitter" as i too was going to buy one :) for those moments when your in the middle of nowhere and ya mobile's batts dead.

Safe riding all
Mark
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Trident » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:17 pm

I've not had any tyres plugged on the XX but I've had quite a few done by the local tyre shop on the VFR with no problems whatsoever. (Idiot neighbours dumping the ashes onto the driveway after burning furniture with nails and screws).

I guess it's just a case of following the instructions and taking the manufacturers recommendations.
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:13 pm

Marxx, never took it that you were taking the piss bud :wink)
Haven't been out yet will have to get a kit in the next couple of days just to have a go and see what happens, it's getting replaced anyway but just waiting to see Jonah's mates prices, no loss judging by what the weathermen are predicting :cry)
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Marxx » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:34 pm

:thumbsup) Bezzer let us know how you get on with it, fitting ect... as i said "if they are ok i want one" It would have saved me twice having to call the missus out to bring the pump.
:notworthy)
Mark
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Gruf » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:45 pm

I've plugged a few rear tyres on the xx and never had any problems. As long as you make the hole nice and rough and put plenty of glue on the plug. I also put a small amount of glue in the hole before I push the plug in. I've coverd over 3 thousand miles on a plugged tyre at speeds into three figures with no problems. When the tyre was changed I got the plugged one back and tried to pull the plug out with pliers, it was bloody hard.
Anyway if you do ride on a plugged tyre and it comes out it would be just like getting a new puncture, so whats the problem?
Gruf
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bov » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:16 pm

About 5 yrs ago I had an FJ12 and had to do a daily commute to Gosport, Southampton for 4 weeks 2up. Was a bit green back then and didn't consider getting the bike roadworthy. So we did this 250 mile a day trip at approx 90mph and it was pretty much without incident. We even had it up to 145mph on a couple of occaisions ( on a track - obviously! ). When this job was done I started working back in London. Once again - 2up- we were going through Hackney when I ran over a key which had been sharpened by traffic. This flattened the back tyre instantly so we had to be recovered. At the tyre garage the mechanic informed me that the tyre already had 2 repairs. Not professional repairs but the roadside bungs that you do yourself! " Hope you ain't been goin' fast mate " said the mechanic.
I worked out that we'd done about 8000miles, at all speeds, on this basically illegal tyre! :roll) What a :cockhole) .
So I guess if you stray over 40mph on a repaired tyre....you'll probably be OK :banghead)
You have offended my family..........and you have offended the Shaolin Temple.
bov
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn