computer help

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

computer help

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:32 am

A friends pc is crashing every 2 or so mins. I've checked for virus, clear.
Changed the memory, cleared cmos, and reset :banghead) :bigcry: it just restarts itself sometimes even before its finnished booting up.
Its running on win'98se. Any help from you puter gurus would be GR8.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:38 am

I ain't a guru but when I first had mine after a week it kept doing that, starting then rebooting itself, staying on then going off. Of all things it turned out to be the keyboard a Logitech cordless, swopped it for a new one and no problems since. Probably nothing to do with your problem but then again....just try another keyboard to discount it if you run out of other things to try.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:47 am

I've used 3 sets of keyboards and mouse also monitors. It got a little better once I dissconnected the cd rom drive as I got a steady beep beep beep and wouldn't boot at all, but not solved the problem.
The first boot takes around 4 mins before the monitor will turn itself on.
I've had the HD out and set up on my pc and there are no probs with it.
Could the motherboard be fried ?
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:56 am

BirdAddict wrote:I've used 3 sets of keyboards and mouse also monitors. It got a little better once I dissconnected the cd rom drive as I got a steady beep beep beep and wouldn't boot at all, but not solved the problem.
The first boot takes around 4 mins before the monitor will turn itself on.
I've had the HD out and set up on my pc and there are no probs with it.
Could the motherboard be fried ?

I said I wasn't a guru BA, I haven't got a clue just had something similar happen to mine, you lost me after the first sentence :P.

Anyway while you're talking computers :roll) I haven't used the CD or DVD in ages, tried a music CD or two tonight- The CD player screen comes up and it starts counting the track time as if it's playing but no sound at all, if I put it in the DVD tray and use Power DVD to read it as a music CD it says its not a recognised format or similar. What else can I try??....PS the speakers are working, the volume is up.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:00 am

have you tried to double click on the speaker in the taskbar and check that the cd player volume is not muted ?
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:03 am

same thing happened to mine when I first got it BA. It turned out to be the processor running too hot. I stuck in a couple of extra chassis fans, about 10 quid each, it has never done it again. May be worth checking that the processor fan is working correctly and that the heat sink is well seated. Also check the chassis fan. Modern processors get fookin hot!
Last edited by Gizzit on Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:10 am

Bezzer, sounds like your sound driver could be bolo xx d mate. Trouble is, if that is the case, it can be a task to put right. You have to remove the card, completely uninstall the software, sometimes you need to strip out fragments from the registry as well, then go through the re-install process as if it was a completely new device. Fookin puters eh :roll)

I have had all sorts of probs with mine over the last couple of days. Ended up having to re-install the OS, the Modem drivers, Norton and the scanner. Hope thats all. I recon some fooker managed to hack into me system. bastids :banghead)
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:11 am

Checked the fans , they are working fine, had the processor out and vacumed out the whole system so it's dust free, the processor chip still had loads of that heat silicone/cream so should be ok. also if it was overheating the first boot should last longer until max temp was reached but it's almost instant.
I've also had it running with the case open so there's plenty of air circulation.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:17 am

It's not on mute BA....Gizz the speakers still work as per the stupid AOL woman welcoming me...Ooer :wink) ... when I log on and also get the voice e-mail notifications etc is that seperate from what you were saying or does that mean the sound driver is working??
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:18 am

Tricky one BA, it could be so many things, If you do go down the line of new motherboards etc, have a look at http://www.ebuyer.com very keen prices on hardware!
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:21 am

I think if you are getting any sound, your driver should be OK. In that case It could be a windows issue. What OS are you using Bezzer?
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:21 am

Bezz, what operating system do you use, I have a Yamaha(i think) soundcard that XP wouldnt accept, yours for nowt if you can use it... supports 5 speaker system and surround sound.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:23 am

Windows 98 people, it used to work :P
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:27 am

keep your eyes peeled for you local DHL man... :D
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:32 am

May be worth re-installing the OS bezzer. I was reading an article not long ago about Windows file degradation. Apparently, to keep the OS running smoothly, it needs to be re-installed about every 12 months or so. Its not a major task, as all of the current settings should remain intact. Did mine last night, it took about half an hour for Millenium Edition to completely install. It is working much better now. Tell you what though, I also re-installed me firewall, its picking up about one hacker per hour at the moment! Scary to think is didn't pick up any for months before.
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:38 am

how do you re-install os without formatting ?
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:40 am

Its basically the same as running an upgrade. just pop the CD in with windows up and running, and execute the setup.exe. Follow the steps as if it were a first install and you are away. You don't need to touch DOS any longer.
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:46 am

is that the same with the pre-installed software as I dont have a disc of xp home edition but a disk with everything(drivers,software,programs) all on one disk which only works for a given system ?
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:52 am

Should be, but you may have to boot from the CD-ROM. I have got one with mine called a system restore disc but it don't fookin work :banghead) I had to go out and buy an upgrade disc.
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:56 am

well it's worth a try as there's just too much shite on my pc to have to take off to format and then reinstall it all again afterwards. especially as the laptop doesn't have a re-writer
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby darkangel » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:55 am

BA! check it aint the "Blasterworm virus!" not easy to detect! go to windows update! for the patch! if not i will send it to yer! be carefull! once the blasterworm virus gets in! ok its just a pain in the Ass because it turns the puter ON & OFF! but it leaves yer WIDE open to attack from othger places! TRUST ME! I know! lost every godamn thibg in september! :?

Back in da SMOKE!!!! DOH!!!!
darkangel
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby XXAndy » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:24 am

Download 'Stinger' from McAffee which will tell you if you have got it AND remove it. You will need the Windows patch however as the worm is self replicating (meaning it hides itself under a non descript name) so when you delete it, it still exists somewhere else as well, the patch stops it doing this, so when stinger kills it, it stays dead. :)
XXAndy

Postby Chuff » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:31 am

a friend has had similar probs ever since he renewed his norton for 2004, removed everything rebooted and re installed norton and it now works fine......... he contacted norton who said it was a problem there end...............if all else fails i got me hammer if u got insurance !!!!! :D
Chuff

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:37 am

Cheers guys but there's no virus on the hard drive, maybe there's one in the bios which the anti-virus software is not finding.
The computer sometimes reboots before windows has loaded making me think its motherboard/processor problems.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby darkangel » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:48 am

yeah BA thats what makes me think its the "blasterworm"! it stopps yer from even gettin into widows! if yer send us yer Email i'll send ya the instuctions for checin it! ive got it here somewhere! :mrgreen:its like XXandy says it hides itself very well!

Last edited by darkangel on Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back in da SMOKE!!!! DOH!!!!
darkangel
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn