Inconsistency in the legal system

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Inconsistency in the legal system

Postby Ladybird » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:54 am

One for our law experts. I heard on local radio a young local lad, has been told in court he is to expect a jail sentence for death by dangerous driving, after killing a 12 year old, whilst showing off in his car. The driver was a new driver.

But it seems to me that our legal system is just so inconsistent in court outcomes. How often do we hear of bikers been knocked off bikes and being killed and the driver gets a slap on the wrists and a fine.

I realise it depends on the charging of the defendent in the first place as regards how the case proceeds. But it even sometimes seems to come down to the area of the country differs wildly as well as regards sentencing outcomes.

Can anyone help with my query?
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby darkangel » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:56 pm

MMMMMMMMM! :? Can of worms here Ladybird! :? i think it STILL depends on HOW the General public View us as "BIKERS" ! when i was a Courier the Distaste that people had in their Mouths about Me in General was Unreal! But as a Simple Motorcyclist i was looked on Differently! i remember being in court Putting my OWN case against a Policeman who was Quite clearly "Biased" Against Couriers, but because i handled my self in a Dignified manner (&NO i didnt wear a suit on the day! went in my ONE PIECE! leathers) i walked away with NO fine NO points & the Police man got a SLAP on the wrist! the lady Magistrate even spoke to me after the case & said she NOW looks upon "bikers" in a completely different Light! :D ! i think the police & the General Public see us as a nuisance! an old saying of "you roll the dice! "you pay the price" attitude on their behalf! they think that we should always maybe be ready to die because we ride a bike & "thier just not safe!" how could that Car driver possibly be in the wrong? he didnt see you coming you were going too fast! FOOK! how many times i heard that as a Courier! "NO MATE" "YOU DIDNT SEE ME BECAUSE YOU WERE NOT LOOKING"!!!!!!! :banghead) Sorry! started RANTIN!!!!

Last edited by darkangel on Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back in da SMOKE!!!! DOH!!!!
darkangel
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:06 pm

British Justice - PAH! The only good thing I can say about it is that the Law some time ago got rid of the front number plate because at the time they were fore and aft facing on the front mudguard and were alleged to be dangerous if a pedestrian was struck (I assume these pedestrians are alleged to be on the road at the time too, and obviously not walking fast enough to get across the road because they couldn't be arsed to look to see if anything was coming before or during crossing). Anyway, the outcome of this is that when that cop van parks on the M180 with his back window flipped up and his video speed detection equipment rolling, it's all cars and no bikes that get the fines :D

But, I do agree that there is a lot of inconsitency, and it is not only dependant upon what area you live in, but also on the mood of the judge, the police person who reported the offence, the way your case is handled, etc. etc. Dare I say that weekly/monthly quotas may also have some effect too - but that's just cuz I'm a bit cynical :mrgreen:

OK all you plod and ex-plod - time to warm up your soap boxes now :wink) Oh, and before you dig in too deeply, I, like the vast majority of decent people do support the police, obey the law, and would do everything in my power to ensure justice is done - but I do disagree with the inconsistancies and the deliberate victimisation of motorcyclists in general :banghead)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby XXAndy » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:43 pm

:stupid) Errr, what they said :stupid)
XXAndy

Return to The Whippit Inn