insurance

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

insurance

Postby rrob » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:00 am

I plan on coming over to the UK this summer with my new 2003 blackbird . I live in Southern Ontario , Canada , at the moment . A country that doesn't even have one decent biking road in the entire place . My insurance company tells me that I cannot carry over my Canadian insurance to Britain . I have to arrange it in Britain . Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to get UK insurance . I plan on being in the UK for maybe four months . I will be in Glasgow probably by June . Does anyone know of the best way to ship a bike from Canada to the UK . Any info would be appreciated .
rrob
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby darkangel » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:05 am

Wellcome to the Site rrob! im sure the others will come up with very helpfull suggestions! ive never shipped before! ride everywhere i need to go!" Like NOW here in Warsaw from London! :D have fun! dont worry about the others! they take da P*ss but all meant in Jest! :D

Back in da SMOKE!!!! DOH!!!!
darkangel
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:29 pm

All the shipping costs here and then back 4 months later ... to save all the agro, why not buy a xx out here in Scotland for example, use it for the four months of summer then sell it on again, you could probably get all your money back or if you're lucky still make a profit. ... You're not thinking straight.. your bike will still be new and waiting for you in Canada when you return. You can't go wrong ...
You'll probably find that the insurance company will hit you harder here if you try and insure a non registered, non U.K spec bike here in anycase.

That's the way I'd do it ... In fact Jonah has one for sale, you might want to think about it and maybe for a few extra bucks he could store it for you until your arrival in 5 months time.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:05 pm

Just don't tell the insurance company that you'll be leaving it anywhere near Glasgow :P It might just push up the premiums a tad more :roll)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby bezzer » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:26 pm

Rob, sorry but I can't honestly see any insurance company over here insuring you for your stay, we have enough trouble getting insurance ourselves for the 'bird. We have to have no claims bonus, security measures, be an old fart etc etc before they will even think about it. The only way I could see you being able to do it would be to get it over there somehow, would freight shippers have any ideas?? they might know some International Insurance Brokers as they must deal with it on occassions. The easiest way round it I can see would be to hire a bike over here which has the insurance built in.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Chrixx » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:01 am

Just out of interest, I obtained a sample quote from Carole Nash to add my Blackbird to my UK policy. I currently have some old bikes on it, a 1926 550cc Ariel and a 1977 GL1000 Goldwing. I currently pay about 85 quid for the two and was quoted an extra 160 quid to add the Blackbird, up until renewal time, early October '02.
Yes, I am a Silly Olde Fart but, having never been without a bike since my 16th birthday (July, 1958), I am NOT a born-again-biker.
I am lucky in never having an insurance claim on bikes. Maybe I am slow but on ride-outs with relative youngsters, I know that I am not that slow. (Cameras permitting).
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn