When The Weather's So ...

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

When The Weather's So ...

Postby Bristle Hound » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:13 pm

... hot what do u wear when u ride your xx (or any other motor sickle owned) :?:
Still full m/c leathers ?
Motorcycle boots or trainers or flip flops :roll: ?
Gloves or no gloves ?
Leather trousers or jeans or shorts :roll: ?
M/c jacket or t-shirt or no shirt :roll: ?

Personally I always were 2 piece leathers with gloves & m/c boots !
Been to too many m/c RTA's where the riders haven't been wearing protective gear :cry:
So for me & any1 who pillions me out on the xx they've got to sweat ! lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby swamp donkey » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:46 pm

if im going work then its works trousers jaket boots and gloves, any other time its full gear just in case :roll:
we up we down we gone !!!
swamp donkey
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Gizzit » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:49 pm

2 piece leathers, race boots, race gloves and a couple of bottles of talc eyecrazy
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Trident » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:13 pm

2 Piece leathers, boots and gloves ALWAYS.

After having the lower part of the sleeve of a leather jacket and a glove torn off in an accident 16 years ago and seeing the damage that was done to the exposed skin, I for one would not want to risk the rest of my ample body to an appointment with the tarmac. I still carry the scars and my left arm gets sunburnt really quickly.

Sure enough you get hot and sweaty in traffic but once you're rolling you get enough ventilation - so why put yourself at more risk than necessary.
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Gizzit » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:20 pm

:stupid: :clap:
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Demontat » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:15 am

A worthy topic indeed :thumbsup: In fact, :clap: to Bristle.

I have been thinking of posting a similar topic since the last few days has been TOO hot for me to ride... a concept I am new at experiencing.

Here in the USA it is amazing how little most riders wear... in fact most have NO safety gear other than the helmet.

I ALWAYS wear my leather Joe Rocket coat with body armour. I always wear durable leather racing gloves. I finish it off with jeans and steel-toed Doc Martin boots. I get many comments, if not downright teasing for wearing the gear I wear despite the heat of Tennessee's summers.

Due to some recent unfortunate events that have plagued the biker community in the last few months I have reconsidered my gear and am shopping for leather pants and proper riding boots... although my boots are perfectly sound, they just wouldn't look well with leather pants since I couldn't fit the cuff into the boot.

I know I will be opening myself up to more ridicule, however, if people only had proper respect for the bikes they ride, the cars and trucks they encounter and the ruthlessness of pavement, bikers certainly wouldn't have such a negative image as they do here, and prolly everywhere!!
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby XXAndy » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:45 am

Hmmm, after wearing jeans in my recent 'off' :notworthy: , (I did have the proper jacket/gloves & boots on), I am a walking testement to gravel rash :thumbsdown: and you would think that I would allways wear the full monty. Well, actually in this country I do, but on my recent european stint, Italy was waaaaayyy too hot and I rode around :ride: in a T-shirt, no gloves but I did have on my leather jeans. :roll:
Last edited by XXAndy on Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXAndy

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:22 am

Generally speaking it's summer two piece leathers for me with Sidi boots and proper gloves. During the cooler weather it's either an Ashman leather jacket or a Belstaff Jacket if it's wet along with Shoe waterproof (but still padded) trousers with Sidi boots and Belstaff gloves.

If I'm riding a small bike (upto 125cc) in a very hot place such as Greece, then shorts and trainers will do - but I take EXTRA care
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Hoggy » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:59 pm

Demontat wrote:

I ALWAYS wear my leather Joe Rocket coat with body armour. I always wear durable leather racing gloves. I finish it off with jeans and steel-toed Doc Martin boots.

Hoggy says

Please don't wear steel toe caps on a bike.
In an accident they can cut your toes off :!: :shock:
Hoggy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Shuggie » Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:42 pm

I follow others here who wear leathers during the summer and leather trousers and gore-tex type jacket during the colder/inclement weather.

Always gloves, boots and back-protector

I'm usually sweating bollo xx, but :D I've a decent level of protection.
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Demontat » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:46 pm

Hoggy wrote:
Please don't wear steel toe caps on a bike.
In an accident they can cut your toes off :!: :shock:

I have to imagine that if the wreck is bad enough to go through my steel caps and mangle my toes... that I have MANY other injuries to be concerned about as well.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Badger » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:22 pm

guy
Lets face it the only reason that we wear leathers is for the protection they provide , not for a fashion statement or any other reason .
and considering that most accidents with bikers are caused by other knobs knocking us off , I personally would not take the chance .
anybody who has had gravel rash would say the same, it might be tempting in this hot weather but as previously said "once on the move
you cool down anyway"
dont be tempted people it aint worth it

sermon over
Back and Ready to Ride
Badger
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Demontat » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:51 pm

Amen Pastor Badger!!!

Why do you put your hand on my knee when you preach? :?

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby GB » Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:57 pm

Just seen this. Good subject BH

Like you I have scraped bits off the road after RTA's (apparently we can't call them RTA's now they call them RTC's Road Traffic Crashes, because you don't know that it's an accident???????? :?: ). I also know a guy with no fingers on his left hand where he wasn't wearing gloves and wore them away on the road :sick) It's always full gear 2 piece with armour, boots, race gloves. I have no time for people who wear shorts, no gloves, t-shirts, and even better are the ones in full leathers with totty/child perched on the rear with nothing except a helmet. :x asshole

Don't wave to em, Don't talk to em, Don't race em, Did used to pull them and tell em how irresponsible they were and generally hold them up for as long as possible, and definitely never ever ride in a group with them.

Seen enough skinless flesh don't want to see anymore thanks.

and to echo Badger don't do it please, they reckon tarmac will wear away 1cm of flesh for every second you're sliding and you don't have to lose too much of it before the rest of the body gives up from the shock.
On the eighth day God created Harley, on the ninth he traded it in for something cheaper that was more fun to ride.
GB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Shuggie » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:01 pm

Well said GB :clap:
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:17 pm

Hear, hear GB....I always think of the lad I went to who fell off and broke and or dislocated every finger and thumbs on both hands, gloves would have saved a few of them I'm sure. You lose your dignity and any street cred you thought you may have when at 25 years of age your mother has to get your dick out for you to have a piss and wipe your arse as well. :oops:
By the way GB this RTC shit, have you ever pointed out to the powers that be that if it wasnt an accident then it was criminal damage and or assault therefore incidental to the Road Traffic Act which still defines Road Traffic Accident. Love to see a man stutter when none of the current buzzwords/police speak can be applied. Speed Cameras/Safety Cameras- BOLLO xx
Last edited by bezzer on Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:17 pm

Badger wrote:the only reason that we wear leathers is for the protection they provide , not for a fashion statement

WRONG :? Would you walk out in a pair of leathers that made you look an absolute twat but offered you protection when you could walk out in leathers that didn't make you an absolute twat but also offered the protection you desire :? Badger - you must catch up with the fashion dude 8)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby bezzer » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:22 pm

:? You look a twat in yours Taz and I know I look a twat in mine, droopy arse anyone? it dont matter. Current fashion dictates leather suits that are shaped around the shoulders pulling them round into the race type crouch, great on a bike but makes you look like a fookin chimp walking when you're off it :D . The choice is yours
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Demontat » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:45 pm

Just a thank-you :D to all who contributed to this thread and kudos to Bristle for starting it :thumbsup:

Because of all of your input and unfortunately due to the number of wrecks that I have heard about this summer I just came from my bike shop after completing my riding ensemble. 8) I purchased leather Joe Rocket "Blaster" pants and a pair of Sidi Vertabra Tepor boots (special order..5 days till delivery).

A spendy day to say the least... but as I told my three kids who were with me, "Can you really put a price on safety?" :roll:

Soon I will definatly stand-out with the head to toe riding outfit, but should the shit hit the fan it is much better than those outfits they give ya at the hospital... :wink:

Last edited by Demontat on Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Gizzit » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:52 pm

Particularly if you get gravel rash on your :moon: :oops:
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Captain » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:07 pm

Just read through the many replies and thoughts, and I must say that there is no substitute for good protection (in whatever circumstance). :wink: Having had a major off a couple of years ago (broken neck + dislocated shoulder) :cry: the only things that saved my life, were my leathers and a good bash hat. The bike, however bad it was can ALWAYS be replaced, your appendages and possibly life cannot.

Ask yourself one question:

If, at the time of a potentially bad incident whilst riding, you could freeze time and deck yourself out in protective attire what would you choose?

A = T-shirt and shorts
B = The best that you could afford with maximum protection

I personally wear a t-shirt under a two piece in the really hot weather, and a one piece all other times, Sidi (squeeky) boots, summer weight armoured gloves all year round (heated grips), Knox back protector, and an Arai RX7RRIV brain bucket.

Phew, can I get off the soap box now and stop giving a sermon????????

Capt
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby johno » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:03 pm

:D good thread guys, I'm looking for some knox back armour just now, which is best, the roll up or the touring back armour :?:or is there some other stuff out there that I should consider :?:
I used to own a caravan but I'm better now!
johno
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

hmmmmmmm

Postby Deano » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:19 pm

Not sure about the knox roll up back protector but I have used the knox kc2000 race protector for 3 1/2 years now and it might get a little hot and sweaty sometimes but it is the ONLY (as far as I know) back protector that is so sure of itself that you get a gaurantee with it that insures you.

Meaning that if you have an off and injure ya back whilst wearing it - they will pay you big bucks.

Now if you suffer back injuries money is never gonna replace your fitness but if they are confident to give you injury insurance for free then it has to be one hell of a product. imho.

Bristle hound has just got the roll up knox so I am sure he will enlighten you to that product.
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Re: hmmmmmmm

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:34 pm

Deano wrote:it might get a little hot and sweaty sometimes

Let's face it Deano - it all gets hot and sweaty, and if I had enough money, I'd buy one of them things too. I'd have bought one ages ago if I'd heard about them when I did have money to spend, and it's only thanks to this site that I've learned so much during my membership of IXXRA. In the meantime, I'll just have to hope I stay as safe as I can
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Captain » Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:07 pm

Echo Deano,
The kc2000 is a great piece of kit and once it moulds itself to your shape you really do forget that it is there. :)

Kc from Knox ------------ Because your worth it :wink:
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn