Fitting a Digi Gear

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Fitting a Digi Gear

Postby WayneM » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:31 pm

Hi All

Im going to fit a Digi Gear shortly (fed up with trying to select 7th gear cause I cant count!!)

Only thing is I cant decide where to mount it. Any one got any bright ideas for a tidy fitting. I was toying with the idea of doing away with the clock and putting it in that hole but I suspect the clock is part of the dash circuit board (ive not had a look yet)

Plus any other fitting tips would be appriciated.

Cheers
WayneM
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Demontat » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:34 pm

Welcome Wayne... I have no ideas for ya but am anxious to watch this thread since I regularily go for the 7th gear!! :D
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby BirdAddict » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:37 pm

Welcome ... another Suvner.. :thumbsup:

No idea where it should go but stick around...by 9pm tonight I'm sure you'll have more places than you ever thought existed on your BB as suggestions... 8) 8) 8)
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:42 pm

I have seen this done, albeit not on a blackbird, where the digi gear was mounted into the plastic surrounding the clocks. It looked very neat and was easily readable. I, for one, would avoid 'bastardising' the clocks, if for nothing else to protect the resale if it fooked up. At least if you wanted to take the digi gear with you if you change the bike, the plastic surrounds are plentiful from breakers. Also, I find that having a clock is very useful.

It is all too easy to go for a 7th gear though innit!
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bov » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:17 pm

Hiya wayne. Stansted. Just down the road! Good luck with the digi mate!
You have offended my family..........and you have offended the Shaolin Temple.
bov
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby XXAndy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:36 pm

My mate has his mounted in the gap between the top of the dash and the screen, that way you dont have to overt your eyes too far from straight ahead...which is good when you pass warp factor 6 :lol:
XXAndy

Postby bezzer » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:55 pm

Think its very tight on top of the instruments if you have a standard screen but OK with a double bubble or similar.

BTW The new Busters sale catologue came with MCN today and guess what the Acumen Digigear is on sale for £49.99, same as the original Digigear but has blue gear numbers instead of red.
If you do want one the tel no is 08702 413041 - Product full name is Acumen DG8 Digitial gear indicator. (£3.50 postage)
QUOTE MCN803 TO GET THE OFFER PRICE
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shuggie » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:23 pm

When heading for the BMF this year Numb Bits and I came across a Bird with one fitted, the guy had tried fitting it himself but ended uptaking it to his dealer due to the amount of wires and fitting probs.
I do remember the sales rep at the BMF stating it's easier to fit to a carb version

It was mounted as previously suggested between screen and instrument housing.

I have to say it looked a treat.

Best of luck, hope this helps :) :)
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Grippy » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:23 pm

I though about getting one of these but changed my mind when I realised that if I am doing 90 or over with the revs at about 5,000 then I only have 7th left!

It does look pretty cool sitting above the dash though (even though everyone will know that ya can't count) :oops:
Grippy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Digi Gear

Postby dpbxx » Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:29 am

Not too sure I want or need to be told what gear I'm in, all that matters is that it's the right one. What I would like is a led or warning light that fits neatly into the dash, dims at night and tells me I have selected 6th. Although I guess that would be too easy and CHEAP. :-)

BTW Hi all.
byeeeeeeeeeeedpb
dpbxx
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby WayneM » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:27 pm

Actually thats a blinding idea! Ive also got a Digi RevLight knocking around - maybe I could use that instead of the gear indicator - Im sure it can be programmed to light all when in 6th gear! 8)
WayneM
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby bezzer » Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:48 pm

It is a good idea, an "overdrive light" so to speak but I dont think it will be too easy to do, the rev light works just with the revs doesnt know what gear you're in, the digi gear does both but you've got to buy it then adapt it to run an LED in 6th. Have we got an electronics whizz kid on the forum who might have an idea how to do it cheaper :? .
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to The Whippit Inn