Ok... boring, but...

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Ok... boring, but...

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:40 am

maybe some don't realise and it might help in future.

I sorted my bike insurance over the weekend and my existing insurer had a good deal, which consisted of the same premium BUT, for 15 months cover. "Waheeey!" says Mrs Maxx's eldest boy. Then I double checked that everything else was still covered as per the year before. Leathers & lid & stuff... check! Legal cover... Check! Recovery cover... check! BUT (and I nearly passed out laughing)

The recovery cover has changed, and when I say changed I really fookin mean it lol They no longer recover accident damaged vehicles, just breakdowns and (you'll love this) they'll only take you to wherever their nearest approved bodger OR to your home address IF it's within 20 miles and then they dump you and fook off. Yup, even at midnight, you could find yourself in the butt-hole of darn sarf, outside a locked up bike shop, hoping you haven't maxxed out your credit card lol lol

Whilst I wanted the cheap bike cover, I also wanted the recovery and it was a potential dealbreaker if it wasn't right, because if I could find a cheaper bike policy with the recovery I wanted, I'd have had that instead.

Laughs aside, that was a blow. Recovery is important to me. I flash the odd repair on the fly so to speak, but even more so in the event of an accident. You can take it from me that the peace of mind of knowing that if the worst happens and you're sat at the roadside in battered kit, with a wrecked bike and feeling pssed off, that a phone call later there's a bloke in a van on his way and you'll be HOME in a few hours, is a marvellous thing. And if you're in hospital, the wife rings them and the bike gets home anyway which is something you don't have to worry your better half with! At least there won't be a call a month later, that the Police have put your bike in the care of some garage who charge £9,677 and day plus VAT for storage etc etc etc

So anyway, long story short, I wanted the policy but needed decent recovery. I rang the RAC (not recommending anyone in particular they were the first I called and I couldn't be bothered with any more when I had the price right) and the bottom line was that I'm now covered for repair/recovery anywhere. They take me and the bike home no matter what causes the incapacity AND, as a bonus, it covers me not the bike so I get the same service if any car I'm in packs up or any bike I'm on for that matter. The cost started at £94.00 which brought on some sucking noises from me and ended up at £67. Thank you and now I'll have me 15 months insurance!

The moral of the post (if there is one) is to double check your policy cover. It could be changing as we speak and they won't tell you the details, you'll find out when it's too late. The insurance skank artists are DESPERATE to remove cover and sell it by keeping your last year premium the same. Other things to watch for... mileage restrictions, MASIIIIIVE excess (I found one firm who though £800 excess on £2000 was very fair :getthis) lol lol

As a last thought... Now that the banks have been outed for the criminally fraudulent, shit-sucking filth the public really knew they WERE (but aobviously aren't any more. Chuckle!), maybe we could get some decent journalists into the insuirance 'industry' to out them for the exact same pile o' shite we already know that they ARE. lol lol
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Re: Ok... boring, but...

Postby Fairways18 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:24 pm

If you can remember..I had this problem in the lakes a few years ago when we thought I'd had a stone through the radiator when we were in Ambleside... :bigcry: , Rolfy came with his trailer and recovered us back to the Farmhouse where we were staying.. :notworthy) . I phoned the recovery services and to cut a long story short would take me anywhere I wanted within a 20 mile radius.. :roll) or I could get the plastic out and pay the robbin bastids £120 to take me home... :getthis)
After we stripped the fairing and couldn't find any leak I ended up riding home with linda carrying a bottle of water just in case we ran dry.. :P as it turned out there was fook all wrong anyway... duh
Been an active member of the RAC since then covered for any vehicle as rider / driver or as a passenger....As you say Mick well worth the £90 quid for Pease of mind.

:wink)
Regards
Steve
Fairways18

Always wear protection whilst riding a Blackbird
Fairways18
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Ok... boring, but...

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm

£67 Steve. £94 was their opening gambit, but it didn't take much persuasion to get it down. Apparently I'm on a loyalty rate of some kind, even though I hadn't even signed up :) :)

I remember the bumps I've had though, and was picked up with th bike and driven home both times. Peace of mind for me as well matey :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to The Whippit Inn