FAO Ramo,m Bluegas and...

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

FAO Ramo,m Bluegas and...

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Looks like my combi boiler has fekked finally.

So, I need a new one. Spec? Well. it aint a flat, aint a small bungalow, so must be a large house ( I wouldn't have called it that but hey ho)

Any advice please on what to get that best value/best price sort of thing. If you can help, I promise I wont post the pictures up...ever.

:thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: FAO Ramo,m Bluegas and...

Postby bluegas » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Worcester Bosch, 5 year warranty. Same with Vailant.
Ideal Logic plus 7 year warranty till end of June, or Ideal Vogue 7 years as standard. All good boilers.
Go for 30kw minimum to help with hot water flow rate.
Steer clear of anything Italian, especially Ferroli.
Combi's are sized on hot water demand and will all cope with average sized heating systems.
Best value for money? I would go for the Ideal Logic Plus, and install a magnaclean or something similar while yer at it.

Over to you, Ramo :thumbsup)
bluegas
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby jono49 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Magnaclean is a must :thumbsup) Well done Bluegas A proper installer :notworthy) That 7 year warranty speaks volumes!!!!! :thumbsup)
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. Another thing ....No disrespect to anyone...just curious. Heating engineer I've used for years and always been happy with his prices, mentioned on his last visit that he could supply and fit a "can't remember but decent" boiler for 1300 quid. If the boiler is roughly 700 quid how the fook can he say fitting it to the wall and piping up is going to be roughly 600 quids worth of work...equating to £30 an hour for 20 hours or £60 an hour for 10 hours work ?

Just asking like. :-?

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:15 pm

£30 Sounds like a good rate 8) :thumbsup) remember he signs it off after commissioning, and only someone who is Gas safe registered can do that! and he spent about £2000 getting the tickets to enable him to do that, and any manufacturers warranty would be void if he didn't have the relevant tickets!
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 pm

jono49 wrote:£30 Sounds like a good rate 8) :thumbsup) remember he signs it off after commissioning, and only someone who is Gas safe registered can do that! and he spent about £2000 getting the tickets to enable him to do that, and any manufacturers warranty would be void if he didn't have the relevant tickets!

10 boiler fittings and the coonts then making a killing, although I do appreciate a little, of what ya saying

That £30 an hour as an example is for 20 hours work..How the fook long does it take to fit a boiler with minimal reconnection pipework?

Bolt the coont to the wall and then join a few pipes up, then connect the wires. Fook me it aint rocket science. I don't mind paying a fair price for fair hours, but I hate being ragged. However, I appreciate and respect all your explanations ( even if I still think ya a set of robbin fukkers)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bluegas » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Jono is spot on, it is a new reg from 1st of April that a full commissioning is carried out after the install. To do that you need an analyzer which needs to be calibrated every year, cost of gas safe, insurance, van, fuel etc blah blah.
Is it a standard horizontal flue? Vertical ones cost more......
What programmer?
Get a couple of detailed quotes, I can email one if you like,something for your bloke to "compete" against :twisted)
bluegas
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Coggy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:58 pm

It's not the hours worked...
It's the lifetimes experience
And all those Corgis to feed
And the insurance for if he blows yer house up
And wot happens if the pipes don't line up??
And all those callbacks for fiddling little things...
Coggy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby barsteward » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:01 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
jono49 wrote:£30 Sounds like a good rate 8) :thumbsup) remember he signs it off after commissioning, and only someone who is Gas safe registered can do that! and he spent about £2000 getting the tickets to enable him to do that, and any manufacturers warranty would be void if he didn't have the relevant tickets!

10 boiler fittings and the coonts then making a killing, although I do appreciate a little, of what ya saying

That £30 an hour as an example is for 20 hours work..How the fook long does it take to fit a boiler with minimal reconnection pipework?

Bolt the coont to the wall and then join a few pipes up, then connect the wires. Fook me it aint rocket science. I don't mind paying a fair price for fair hours, but I hate being ragged. However, I appreciate and respect all your explanations ( even if I still think ya a set of robbin fukkers)

fit one of these yourself yer tight wad, yer wont need a gas safe ticket, that'll save you a fookin fortune

barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Mister Majestik » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Reet Tim

if you think £600 is too much ask him for a breakdown of his quote, ie labour and materials
does it include vat?
is he going to flush the system out(most manufacturers insist this when fitting a new boiler, especially onto a old system,I would deffo get this done :thumbsup)
(this usually tales about a day, to do it properly plus any chemicals)

is he going to upgrade any pipework?, ie is the gas supply the right size? heating?

is he going to replace any controls?, electrical or mechanical(thermostats, thermo rad valves etc)

when a boiler is replaced the system/controls should be brought up to current building regs standard,

ask him for the make and model he intends to supply, the price should be easy enough to check up then,

I would not buy an ideal boiler at any price, their previous ones have been shiite,

rumors seem to be, if this ones no good they might fold, so thee takes the chances, might be ok ??duh

Worcester Bosch / Baxi seem to be very popular choices, midway price/good warranty,

but remember it might depend on what boilers on offer to the installer and what he can make the most on :wink)

and more importantly check to see if its up to the job

load of bollix about registration fee costs,all exaggerated to inflate costs,

when I retook all mine 3 1/2 years ago total cost £700 inc vat(+ a week loss of earnings, every 5 years),£300 per year gas safe, all tax deduct-able. not a big issue really(not for me as I'm no longer registered)

no harm in a couple of quotes,

anyway me old fruit, get more info, piece of string and all that

FFS dont go to Wickes again
Last edited by Mister Majestik on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Coggy wrote:It's not the hours worked...
It's the lifetimes experience
And all those Corgis to feed
And the insurance for if he blows yer house up
And wot happens if the pipes don't line up??
And all those callbacks for fiddling little things...

Why don't you fook off for a bit Coggy.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:43 pm

ramo wrote:Reet Tim

if you think £600 is too much ask him for a breakdown of his quote, ie labour and materials
does it include vat?...............
no harm in a couple of quotes,

anyway me old fruit, get more info, piece of string and all that

FFS dont go to Wickes again

Cheers for that too Ramo.

Barsteward..go fook yasself, ya as much use as Coggy...use fekkin less. :getthis)

Cheers again Ramo, Jono and Bluegas. Very useful thanks.

BluegAS. hORIZONTAL FLUE THROUGH OUTSIDE WALL JUST ABOVE GROUND FLOOR AS BOILER WALL MOUNTED IN THE CELLAR.

Bollox, caps lock stuck on sorry. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby The Budgie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Like a nice warm shower I does...make sure its the ducks guts Timbo and spare no expense..

:mrgreen:
The Budgie
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Coggy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:52 am

T.Murphy wrote:Thanks for the replies. Another thing ....No disrespect to anyone...just curious. Heating engineer I've used for years and always been happy with his prices, mentioned on his last visit that he could supply and fit a "can't remember but decent" boiler for 1300 quid. If the boiler is roughly 700 quid how the fook can he say fitting it to the wall and piping up is going to be roughly 600 quids worth of work...equating to £30 an hour for 20 hours or £60 an hour for 10 hours work ?

Just asking like. :-?

Eh by gum
Somebody comes from Yorkshire
:oops)
Coggy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to The Whippit Inn