Errrr.... HELP!!

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Errrr.... HELP!!

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:33 am

Automatic has a post in Outpatients regarding his ongoing battle with his engine cutting out on his FI 'Bird and as I read what he's tried, who the fault has baffled and the money he's invested to get it right (without success), I have a sneaky suspicion it may be his ECM unit that's failed. Simple question then....

Automatic lives somewhere in Wakefield. Can anyone ride over and see him on their FI machine? Allow him to borrow you ECM for a few minutes to run his bike on and then give it back? Or perhaps someone has a spare ECM that he could use for the same purpose? Being able to factor the ECM out or into the eauation will save this bloke weeks off the road, a pocket full of money and probably the odd tear stain on the paintwork... so dig deep folks! Under the laughs, the rides, the piss taking and everything else that goes on amongst us... THIS is kind of 'what we do' on here and it always was :thumbsup)

So then.... There's a fellow Blackbird jockey (and a determined one), who just wants the love of his life back! Is anybody there??? If so please do post up or drop Automatic a line.

My little heart would burst with joy, at the thought that we still had that 'spirit' going on!! :clap: :clap:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Re: Errrr.... HELP!!

Postby Oldbull » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 am

Grant will probably have a spare Mick ...
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:50 am

That's quite a saga, Mick! :D

1 How long would it take to remove and replace the ECM on the donor bike?
2 What are the chances of damage transfer to the replacement ECM, assuming there's an additional, as yet unidentified problem on the recipient bike?

Just asking - Wakefield's only an hour away...
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:18 am

It's in Oz - says "All Years" but I know sweet FA about this kinda stuff... :rolleyes:

ECU.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBR-1100X ... 4d2131c511

More here on the UK site...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... +&_sacat=0

FUEL INJECTION -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR-110 ... 3a96b554e5

...Quite enjoying this - but gotta go ta work... lol
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby automatic » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:19 am

Hi Dark Angel

Unfortunately the only ecm suitable on flea bay at this time is the one that is part of a lock set at £300...the others are not injection ecm(apart from the American spec) and that in itself suggest non compatibility. The remainder are carb ecm...our injection bikes have two separate multipin connectors as opposed to one on the carb version. They say hindsight is a wonderful thing but I am regretting the day I let my old carb blackbird go..but there you go.

In answer to your initial questions, it would take less than five mins to swap over the ecm , now the tricky answer I have not got a clue if it would damage the donor ecm....I don't think it would as the engine cuts for tenths of a second and can then run for a period of time with out the engine cutting...but I honestly don't know.

A spare would be ideal but at this moment in time it would appear they are rarer than the proverbial rocking horse s..t !!!!

regards

JB
automatic
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Definitely don't need a CDI unit anyway. The chances of the fault damaging the donor ECM is very slight indeed and going further than that, IF the ECM is the fault on Autos bike, it's the failed ECM that's causing the cut out not t'other way around. I say that because the ECM has safeties built in to protect it from it's own sensors. When a sensor trips, it sends a low powered electronic signal to the ECM which either registers it as a fault and carries on running regardless or, if the fault registered could be catastrophic to the engine, it will stop it running.

If you're worried about this though DA, the easy way around it, is to reverse the test. Put Auto's ECM on your bike and see if it cuts out above idle speed. The ECM isn't in any way organic, it's just a computer and it can't retain and 'infect' your bike with anything. In other words, when you take the unit off you take the problem (if there is one) away :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:11 pm

MaXX2 wrote: the easy way around it, is to reverse the test. Put Auto's ECM on your bike and see if it cuts out above idle speed. The ECM isn't in any way organic, it's just a computer and it can't retain and 'infect' your bike with anything. In other words, when you take the unit off you take the problem (if there is one) away)

Well... we're off to France next week - riding down to Narbonne Plage - so I hope you're right, Mick! :-?

I'll have a wobble over to Wakey this Satdi - or I can do Satdi if ya prefer, Auto - tek yer pick! :mrgreen:

(Stops.

...Thinks about it...

...Walks away, shakin' his 'ead - mumble-grumpin'...) :rolleyes:
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TRIPPO » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Would you happen to be staying at a B&B called Biker Maison St George in Coursan by any chance :thumbsup)
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:09 am

TRIPPO wrote:Would you happen to be staying at a B&B called Biker Maison St George in Coursan by any chance :thumbsup)

Off thread. A twat like you shouldknow better.

Any more and I'll delete comprendo. :mrgreen:

Big up to Maxx2 and DA for persistence. :clap:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:03 am

T.Murphy wrote:
TRIPPO wrote:Would you happen to be staying at a B&B called Biker Maison St George in Coursan by any chance :thumbsup)

Off thread. A twat like you shouldknow better. Any more and I'll delete comprendo.

I concur with your comment - and with your proposed course of remedial action, Motty. :rockon)

'E shud mind 'is own fookin' bizniss! :evil)

...Err - no, we're not stayin' there, Trippo, mate... :wink)

T.Murphy wrote:Big up to Maxx2 and DA for persistence. :clap:

Well - 'avin' seen 'ow determined 'e is ter geddis own way :shock)

I've come to understand that this is a bloke you should never, ever upset

...hence, my cowardly offer... :mrgreen:
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby automatic » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:06 am

Ball cocks cant get Saturday off work, pm sent
automatic
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Don't think it will work if you plug a ECU from another bike,
will need the HISS ring removing from ignition also
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Bugger! :banghead)

Can we get some clarification on this, please?

Mick?

Auto?

...Anyone?

No mad rush cuz we've got a timetable sorted for the swap... 8)

...Next hour or two'll do just fine... :mrgreen:
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Eric,
I have. Honda training manual for HISS in PDF,
I'm on the ferry at the mo,
pm me your email addy, I'll send you it tommoz
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:59 pm

:thumbsup)
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby automatic » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Hmmmm that throws a spanner in the works good and proper....i have no idea, it would not surprise me that they are not something that can be just swapped but then again you never know.

D A if there is any question that they may not be a straight plug in the it has to be NO GO....the bike can stand where it is until things can be studied...i do not want the pressure or responsibility of messing with your bike.

I swapped the tilt/bank sensor over tonight cos as old bugger i could not remember if i had done that already, i also took the opportunity to pull all the f....g wires i could get my hands on at the bottom of the ignition....not a peep ticked over as sweet as a nut, however when the temperature reached the low nineties it decided to cut out and also did so on the short spin i did.

so I think i have thought of a solution to the problem...as anyone half a pound of Semtex...that would cure the problem....lol
automatic
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby jono49 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:02 am

Not an easy one this! it would be nice to establish wether there was a spark or not? then to find which part of the ignition circuit was causing it, the trouble with a blackie is it's covered in plastic panels :P if? it's not fuel related ie: a nipped breather pipe! It has to be electrical side, it's ok taking readings when it's running normal, it's when it fails things need to be metered to see whats failed? from memory I cant remember if the ignition coils can be seen if the side panels are off, but an old inductive timing light borrowed from a garage would tell you instantly if there was a spark at the time of failure if hooked up to a spark plug lead, the original thread mentions Crank/Camshaft angle sensors, these usually fail in this manor when they get hot and go "Open Circuit" easily tested with a meter, but only if you can get at the plugs readily! BUT! I would have thought any of theses sensors failing would put the FI light on as they are all linked through the ECU :rolleyes:
But salvation is at hand 8) there is a plentiful supply of TDM900's in the country and several members on here will testify to their all round ability and street cred :clap: :mrgreen:

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/p/210069/xenon ... GwodhgMK2A
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:15 am

I may have a couple of sensors you're welcome to try........BUT i'm moving house this weekend so it may take a tad longer as we have shed loads to do :thumbsup)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:32 am

automatic wrote:D A if there is any question that they may not be a straight plug in the it has to be NO GO....the bike can stand where it is until things can be studied...i do not want the pressure or responsibility of messing with your bike.

No pressure, Auto – we’re still exploring options and Ramo’s brought up another element for consideration. That means we’ve got more information to work with - which could help us with our ongoing analysis.

When I get the HISS manual I’ll forward it to you – and to any other potential electronics wizard who’s willing to contribute to solving what appears to be quite an exceptional fault, far from the realms of “Which Tyre” or “How to Use the Side Stand Properly”.

Anyone willing to add some extra support - pm me your e-ail address - or get in touch directly with Auto... 8)

automatic wrote:I think i have thought of a solution to the problem...as anyone half a pound of Semtex...that would cure the problem..

I told ya yesterday - petrol an' a box o' matches is cheaper! :mrgreen:

Keep yer chin up, kid – we’ll beat this… :thumbsup)

Err…OH! - Jono49 – I’ve never bin as close ter puttin’ in an official complaint… :pullhair
jono49 wrote: there is a plentiful supply of TDM900's in the country and several members on here will testify to their all round ability and street cred

Comments like this boil my smelly piss! :getthis)

I'm warnin' ya - next time I'll TELL TIM!!! :evil)
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:53 am

Bawhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:28 am

Auto, ive reread original post and cant see if you have actually changed crank position sensor or not. The crank sensor is actually bolted to the engine which will be affected by heat, map sensor etc isnt... phone Taffy, he will have All the bits you need to try, better still get the bike over to him if poss and he will swap bits there and then. Im with ramo, need to sort HISS to swap ecu. Taffy will know for sure and have the necessaries to sort it... keep calm mate well crack it :thumbsup)

Taffy 07717477776
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby automatic » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks for that will give him a bell.
automatic
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby jono49 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:49 pm

:thumbsup) Best advice yet OB, this is a problem that needs eliminating step by step by testing each component in the ignition circiut and could lead to hours of fun :P Paddy is well versed with the workings of the BIRD, and may even had a similar problem recently and it's fresh in his head what the cure is, or how to find it! the problem is unlikely to be cured here on a forum, it's a hands on job, so unless we all take a rideout to Automatics place armed with Multimeters etc, it looks like Paddy is the answer :thumbsup)
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Paddy ?? :P :mrgreen:
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby barsteward » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:05 pm