Birds migrate South

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Re: Birds migrate South

Postby XXtremist » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:47 am

Yes Les.

Maybe the pig's ear was a metaphor. :banghead)
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:33 am

XXtremist wrote:Can you remind me of the aternating current voltage that you should be getting between two of the three aternator wires.

Thanks

Without looking it up and jntil/unless someone comes along, I thknk its around 24v ac. Main thing is its the same across each wire. :thumbsup) Good luck Chris. As the others have said, it coulda been a lot worse.......aj could still be there with you. :mrgreen:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Chris

40-60 or the Fi

see maxx's giude

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22743
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Got my first ever speeding ticket

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 pm

XXtremist wrote::banghead)

Since I had actually been hooning all morning between 80 and a ton, and overtaking on white lines just before they stopped me, my protests were minimal. ...They very kindly gave a 50% discount on the 300 E fine, and made it even more convenient by taking a Visa card, that I ended up thanking them as I drove off.

Has it put me off the country? Not one bit.

And why the fook should it? :mrgreen:

...Must say, you sure brought back a few years-worth of memories fer me, lad: Bourges; Clermont Ferrand (we were there, just t’other day);
the Lot Gorge; Millau; Alcaniz – and Cuenca, just ter top it all off.

Stayed there int Parador back in 2005 on a Valencia MotoGP jaunt. Proper spectacular place, innit? :rockon)

...Anyway - here's hopin’ the cops and the wayward bike don’t givvyennymore bother - seemslike yervaddenuff ferralifetime... duh

...RideSafe and fookin' beyave yersel'... lol
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Chris......It's all gone quiet :-? should preperations be made for Grant's spare Tedium 900 to be shipped out to continue the tour? :mrgreen:
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Well I'm back on the road. The brekdown truck took me to Honda Valencia. There, I paid 622 Euros plus fitting for a new genny coil...

No I didn't. They confirmed the coil was at fault. They charged my old battery and I bought a fully charged new one, and a new fangled jump starter that weighs less than a quarter kilo, and looks like a 500 gig hard drive. Google Mini Batt for details. So understanding that the battery is discharging all the time, I'm trying to keep stops to a minimum, minimal use of lights and no Garmin powered off the bike.

Didn't leave Valencia til gone 5, so shot up the free Mway towards Barcelona. Autovista gave way to ordinary road. By time I was going through Penis Cola the light was fading fast. There were a few roadside trucker's motels in the industrial area. Couple I stopped at were full. Funny how things usually work out for me. Having had to turn on my Hids, next turn off was for the port and beach resort of St carles de rapita. Past a few 3 and 4 star resort hotels, before stumbling upon a newish apartment type place offering rooms.

Since I had been eating so much pork and bits of pig recently, I really fancied some fish. 100 yards away was a restaurant, where I had one of the best fish soups with the best olive oil croutons. Perhaps I should have been more adventurous and had cuttlefish, but opted for fried squid rings instead. Would have preferred them in a home made tomato sauce.

Waiter was somewhat surprised when I asked for red vino, but it came slightly chilled and was superb. At half the cost of a french hotel meal I had last week, I enjoyed it far more.

So fingers crossed, it's back over the Pyrenees tomorrow.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:24 pm

Forgot to add that Honda Valencia had called a friend in to translate. When I pointed out that they had not put anything on the bill for their time ( well over an hour ), I offered the mechanic and receptionist a tip, but they would not take it. So not all dealers are stealers. Good on you, Valencia. :rockon)
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Back up in the Pyrenees this afternoon. Been crisscrossing the boarder. Bike still starting ok on the old battery.

Staying at a little hostel/ restaurant in Parzar , just on the Spanish side, which instantly saves 10 E on the room. I do also like it when wine is included, and they plonk the bottle next to you. It makes no difference to them whether you take one glass, or finish the bottle. In the last few days. , I have been leaving an inch in the bottom ( I know there are some out there, who with the misconstrue that ).

Had a very tasty lamb stew, although it was only made with neck chops and breast.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Fri 2nd Oct.

Murky conditions and raining when I left . Instead of seeing any more on the Spanish side, I retraced my route through the tunnel. At least it would be dry in there.

As I rode N through the Ger region, the weather improved. When I got to the old town of Cahors, it was positively warm. Explored the Lot valley, with its tall limestone cliffs. Very little traffic, although in high season, one could imagine nose to tail conditions, as it is a v popular tourist area. Stopped at a couple of b&bs advertising an evening meal as well, only to hear the restaurant was closed. Fate normally works in my favour. So it was that I stumbled across a b&b run by a carpenter and his wife. The uninspiring living quarters was just a breeze block affair tacked onto his barn/workshop. But the room was absolutely fine. He has a 1200 triumph trophy, and he charged my battery overnight. Told him I had eaten loads of pork in all its different forms, and that I really fancied duck as I was in the region. He cooked up a fantastic four course meal, and plied me librally with all sorts of apperatifs and liqueurs ( although there was a charge on bill next am ).

Sat 3rd.
Light rain when I set off. Dried a bit as I explored more of the Lot region, closely followin the river. Then, as I turned N again, it started to rain heavily, only brightening up about 4 pm.

Was heading in direction of Chateau roux looking for a possible place to stay. saw a restaurant with rooms advertising on side of road, so followed the directions a short way to an attractive establishment. Oh joy- a bath, instead of the usual showers I had had up to now. So had a long soak before a v nice meal.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Luxury Chris, you deserve it after recent event's.......But on the plus side "No AJ" :thumbsup)
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:19 am

Always great to read your ramblings about your ramblings. You really do psint a picture for me Chris. Love it.
( err, a bit perturbed that the Carpenter and his missus had been forewarned about a lonely British motorcyclist that was an easy touch. Fekk me, they're all having a slice of you)
:thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby barsteward » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:45 pm

XXtremist wrote:Fri 2nd Oct.

Murky conditions and raining when I left . Instead of seeing any more on the Spanish side, I retraced my route through the tunnel. At least it would be dry in there.

As I rode N through the Ger region, the weather improved. When I got to the old town of Cahors, it was positively warm. Explored the Lot valley, with its tall limestone cliffs. Very little traffic, although in high season, one could imagine nose to tail conditions, as it is a v popular tourist area. Stopped at a couple of b&bs advertising an evening meal as well, only to hear the restaurant was closed. Fate normally works in my favour. So it was that I stumbled across a b&b run by a carpenter and his wife. The uninspiring living quarters was just a breeze block affair tacked onto his barn/workshop. But the room was absolutely fine. He has a 1200 triumph trophy, and he charged my battery overnight. Told him I had eaten loads of pork in all its different forms, and that I really fancied duck as I was in the region. He cooked up a fantastic four course meal, and plied me librally with all sorts of apperatifs and liqueurs ( although there was a charge on bill next am ).

Sat 3rd.
Light rain when I set off. Dried a bit as I explored more of the Lot region, closely followin the river. Then, as I turned N again, it started to rain heavily, only brightening up about 4 pm.

Was heading in direction of Chateau roux looking for a possible place to stay. saw a restaurant with rooms advertising on side of road, so followed the directions a short way to an attractive establishment. Oh joy- a bath, instead of the usual showers I had had up to now. So had a long soak before a v nice meal.

Fook me I thought yer wer the baby fookin jesus fer a minuet :wink)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby jono49 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:33 pm

FFS careful what you say......three wise men will have their jackets on ready to hit Spain :shock)
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm back home now, but the following is what I wanted to post last night. Could not get connected to the wifi at the B&B, nor a restaurant.

We've got some catching up to do, as I haven't had wifi for two days.

Sun 4th. Set off N through Chateauroux, then diverted NWards to visit my friendly wine merchant in S Normandy. Via Tours, to La Fleche for fuel. The bike started reluctantly, so I was not surprised when she wouldn't go after lunch, just S of Mayenne. So I changed to the brand new battery, and all was fine. Started looking for places to stay, using the data from my newer BMW Garmin. A couple of b&bs couldn't be arsed to do anything on a late Sunday afternoon. But the third turned out to be a real peach. Perhaps I should say apples and pears, as it was a small farm also producing cider, perry and calvados. I was in my element, right in the heart of the countryside. The couple were so kind, I decided to stay two nights. He charged my spent old battery, and she produced a wonderful ploughman's for dinner, complete with a bottle of cider.

When I get back on my computer, I will give the details, as it is a handy place to stay within reach of Caen and St Malo.

Mon 5th. Another reason for staying was because it was raining. Thankfully not nearly as bad as they had in Cannes, which had been dominating the tv news for the last two days.

The wine merchant was surprised to see me. We had a chat over a glass of 20 year old calvados. Then did a bit of local site seeing, before heading back to the farm to help with collecting pears. There were two girls helping, and one who was on the ample side would insist on bending over in front of me, dangling her jubblies inside a loose T shirt.

Tues 6th. It was v grey and threatening, but not actually raining. All was going well, until 3 gendarmes jumped out in front of me. Oh no, I thought not again! !!

I was informed that I was doing 113 on a 90 km road. Asked to show my papers, and just about talked my way out of another fine. Phew.

Whereas our coppers do wear florescent jackets, and you have to be half asleep not to see them, these gendarmes wear a dark blue uniform, v hard to see against a lamp post or hedge. So the moral of the story should be, if I could not see them, then I couldn't have seen deer jumping out of the close hedges. Therefore, I should have been going slower.

Twice when going down through France the first week, on coming motorists forewarned of a trap. But not this time.

I have briefly considered using a false plate on the continent against the growing number of cameras, or even my old radar detector. But these two occasions when I have been stopped by cops shows what folly that would be, as you really would be for the high jump.

Anyway, I have been taking it steady since. And don't forget, I have been riding with no lights to save the battery, which I haven't liked, especially when it has been raining, grey or murky.

The sun came out after a quick lunch break. Again I knew the motor would not start. This time, I thought I would try the new emergency starter pack that I bought in Valencia. On the first press there was no joy, and I thought "another piece of useless so called high tech rubbish ". However, I double checked the contact from the crocodile clips, and lo and behold, she purred into life. I have done this another three times after various stops, and the battery pack is still showing 3/4 charge.

At the b&b S of Calais, the new battery in the bird is on charge now. So fingers crossed, I hope to be ok for getting back tomorrow, even with some hids on the UK mways.

Just walking into town now to have supper, and find some wifi, as I can't seem to connect with the one at the b&b.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:31 pm

This is the Normandy B&B that I highly recommend. 48 Euros for two, including breakfast. They have a gite that sleeps 9.

Marie & Pascal Brunet
Ferme de la Premoudiere
61330 Saint Denis de Villenette

email: lapremoudiere@orange.fr

site: http://www.lapremoudiere.com
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby aj » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:31 pm

pleased to see you made it in one piece... :thumbsup)

sold the house btw...exchanged yesterday... :P ....good job i came back... :roll)

regards
aj 8)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to The Whippit Inn