Birds migrate South

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Birds migrate South

Postby XXtremist » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:02 am

Following on from aj's thread in Ride outs, this is Chris reporting on our southerly flight. It won't be as detailed a report this time as I am only using a smartphone, and not a notebook computer that I normally pack. In fact, I have brought the minimum amount of luggage this time. It has only taken 9 years to adjust.

Not only that, but I have eschewed all the modern conveniences of the new GS, for some excitement on the Bird.

Travelled SE from Calais, ending up in a b&b in Courcy le Chateau just N of Sissons. I'm going to make you all envious by saying I'm sharing a room with aj.

Night night,

Chris
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Birds migrate South

Postby barsteward » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Make sure you put the cot sides up on his bed before you go to sleep :mrgreen:
Ohh and make sure he empty's his bag before you set of in the morning :thumbsup)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby XXtremist » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:09 pm

One never knows what fate has in store. We set off South with rain just holding off. But when we stopped in Montmirail for another of aj"s wee wee breaks, the heavens opened. We were marronned in a little supermarket for a couple of hours. When I returned to the bird, the rain had killed the screen of the Garmin Zumo, so I had to let aj lead the way using his steam powered gps.

We set off again in light rain, but it did brighten up eventually before we got to Gien.

After stopping in a little town called Aubiny
Sur neme, my bike failed to start. Called carol Nash Breakdown, and over 2 hours later a local breakdown vehicle appeared. Turned out to be dud battery, which I had thought was good before the trip. Breakdown chaps said I could bump start until I got a new battery in the morning.

All the hotels and B&Bs in this little town were fully booked due to a seminar, but one very kind receptionist found us a room in a manor house b&b a few miles out of town. Just had a delightful impromptu three course meal and my bike is on charge over night, as it would be impossible to bump on a long loose gravel drive.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Very eventful already Chris, Let's hope this is the last of your problems :thumbsup)
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:37 pm

BB spares at ya digs,

that old coont be none the wiser lol

good luck Chris :toilet: :eyebrows)
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Screenshot_2015-09-22-22-49-27.png

Do it NOW Chris. Do not procrastinate.

:shock)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:13 am

OK - I'm an ignorant civilian - WTF is it? :dunce)
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:39 am

Dark Angel wrote:OK - I'm an ignorant civilian - WTF is it? :dunce)

Its a folding shovel......ideal for carrying around on the bike , ideal for digging impromptu shallow graves....Chris will wish he had one with him sooner rather than later.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:52 am

Lorraine now speckled wi' 'alf-chewed toast... lol
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:21 pm

Just spent half hour composing an update. Normally get message that submission failed 1st time, so saved as draft and it has disappeared duh
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:56 pm

:banghead)
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Ok. Some catching up to do. Hope I don't lose the text this time, as it is a tad annoying.

Wed 23rd. In Bourges, could not find one suitable at a store calling itself 1001 Batteries. Borrowed multimeter to find bird not charging. Honda stealer in town confirmed reg/rec shot, but alternator ok. Over 300 squid for replacement to come Fri. Did briefly consider Jaws, but that would take at least 2 days as well. Moral of story, always travel with a spare.

Thurs 24th. Explored Bourges, especially the magnificent cathedral, the old town, and any free museums in walking distance. That eve, aj got news that his house conveyancing hit snag, so decided to cut short trip, and return. So I didn't need to use folding shovel in the end.

Fri. Set off S in light mizzle on long straight roads. But 30 miles N of Clermount Ferrand, roads started to get v interesting and sun came out. Had not been in Auvergne region for over twenty years. This time going a little faster than my little yellow Dolomite 1850 :roll)

Two roads worthy of special commendation were the D922 and 990 running through the Lot Gorge. Found a little b&b near the Millau bridge.

Sat. Took photos of the bridge, then rode the D999 to Albi. Shame aj only did the boring mid section, missing these spectacular roads. Then S thru Carcassonne and over the border to Andorra and the Pyrenees.

Found a b&b at Ardall, a tiny town on N260. Walked half mile back to a restaurant I had noted earlier, only to find it didn't open till nine and it was only 7.30 and I was starving. So back to a v simple one I dismissed earlier. My eyes lit up when I saw jugged wild boar, and indeed it turned out to be one of the best meals ive ever had. Dark and rich, it was more like jugged hare than anything porky.

Sun. With a vague notion of wanting to travel SW but on great roads, I set off with blue sky. Still a bit nippy until about 2 pm. From Caspe down to Alcaniz and Calanda, picking up the glorious A226. I had a hoot. In 150 miles, probably passed only 6 vehicles. Just like a private race track with brilliant surface. In Spain, you don't need the biggest mountains for the best roads. Just some minor peaks or limestone hills and gorges make for fantastic high gear cornering. Plan to do some more of the same tomorrow.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Cracking Chris. Sozz about the reg/rec problem.

I am having trouble computing "£300" for what? Please dont say a reg/rec. jawdropping

:ride) have fun

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:58 am

Glad your trip is finally coming together for you Chris... not the best of starts mate :banghead)

That stealer needs naming and shaming :twisted)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Got my first ever speeding ticket

Postby XXtremist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:29 pm

:banghead)

Had the choice of taking a great road W from Cuenca after lunch, or a second best going S. Took the latter. Just thinking to myself that even 2nd best, it was as good if not better than the German B500, when I was flagged down by two traffic cops. They accused me of doing 80 on a 60 mph road. They had no camera, or indeed any evidence, but vaguely said I had been recorded 4 km up the road.

Since I had actually been hooning all morning between 80 and a ton, and overtaking on white lines just before they stopped me, my protests were minimal.

They also showed me an official translation that stated " We say you have broken the law of our land. Our word is final, and that gives us the power to sh!t on your day. You can of course complain, but we will just impound your vehicle."

They very kindly gave a 50% discount on the 300 E fine, and made it even more convenient by taking a Visa card, that I ended up thanking them as I drove off. Just think of them as mobile tax collectors to pay for all the lovely roads. As the saying goes - "if you can't do the time......"

Has it put me off the country? Not one bit.

Without that incident, I was going to start this piece saying I had taken a brilliant route , the N330 and N420 W from Teruel through the red sandstone hills. Very much like Arizona. Being a week day, there was a lot more traffic. I must have passed a dozen cars, two trucks and a tractor in 150 miles.

Away from the Pyrenees, the roads are devoid of fekkin cycles and camper vans. You don't get the Sound of Music type alpine vista's, but you still get fantastic panoramic views as you go over a pass, or mount a crest.

I'm holed up in a small hotel in the old town of Requena for two nights, with my washing drying on the balcony. Will do a round tour S tomorrow, before I start heading N again. Would rather spend more time down here in Spain, even if it means resorting to some french toll routes to make up time.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Tim - yes that was over 300 quid for a reg /rec, that would have been less than a 100 back home. One of you may care to ask a UK stealer what the price is for a '99 fi bird.

To recap on my memorable meal a few night ago. When I walked into the joint, BB King was singing "The Thrill has gone.." After making my appreciation of BB known, we had The Best of. .. twice over. I say "We" , but in fact I was the only customer. Having told the single handed old lady patron how much I had enjoyed the boar, she produced three v chilled infused high octane alcohol bottles and an iced glass. One had a Chartreuse type herbal flavour, one aniseed, and the last pure fire water that got me hiccupping for 20 minutes. jawdropping
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Did you manage to shag her?

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Should gotta £10 chinky reg/rec to stick under your seat. That's what us astute bikers did in Germany. Ten fookin quid yes :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:54 pm

Ferkin Ell Chris,, £3oo for a reg/rec, £150 fine :banghead) all you need now is AJ to come back and youve got the trebble up :D :wink) :wink)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Oldbull wrote:Ferkin Ell Chris,, £3oo for a reg/rec, £150 fine :banghead) all you need now is AJ to come back and youve got the trebble up :D :wink) :wink)

was thinking summat like that lol

every cloud eh Chris :P
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:14 pm

T.Murphy wrote:Should gotta £10 chinky reg/rec to stick under your seat. That's what us astute bikers did in Germany. Ten fookin quid yes :thumbsup)

Didn't know about those. You live and learn.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:13 pm

"One of you may care to ask a UK stealer what the price is for a '99 fi bird."

£78 inc vat at silvers

£252.82 at Lings

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... 00MATE01P/

ya know for next time :thumbsup)

I foookin hate France for ya :thumbsup)
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Oh dear! My bird is asking for a smacked botty.

Went to start after lunch break on the beach at Valencia, and just got the ticking sound. A push start got me going. Stopped off at a garage on way back to hotel, and they confirmed bike not charging again. Either the expensive new Honda part has given up, or it is the Gennys coil this time. Again, the uprated Jaws type that has done only 20k miles.

So bike is going to Honda Valencia tomorrow am. And we shall see what is required.

I shall need a holiday after all this :banghead)

Back on my second favourite subject of food, just had the same meal at a little restaurant as the hotel I'm staying at last night. A coarse English pub type salad with a bit of tuna and Cherizo and boar sausage slices, shortly followed ( ie before you have finished ) with a small dish of freshly cooked pork pate and small dish of seasoned mashed potatoe. Forthe first time for me, also small dish of morcels of fried pig's ear. If you were v hungry, you could eat them all. But I just scrapped off any fleshy bits, and left the slightly chewy cartilaginous middle. V sweet and quite good flavour. This is followed by a plate of three sausages with sautéed potatoes. One is a 100% pork, one a black pudding, and the last a mergez or spicy example.

All this washed down with the local vino, which seems to be a blend of syrah and cabernet savignon. Normally included in the price, they don't care whether you just pour yourself a glass or finish the bottle.

I'll try to update you tomorrow on what is needed for the bird. Will be more inclined to give the new 'Jaws' outfit a call if it's the genny.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXtremist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:42 pm

Can you remind me of the aternating current voltage that you should be getting between two of the three aternator wires.

Thanks
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby barsteward » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:29 am

XXtremist wrote:Oh dear! My bird is asking for a smacked botty.

Went to start after lunch break on the beach at Valencia, and just got the ticking sound. A push start got me going. Stopped off at a garage on way back to hotel, and they confirmed bike not charging again. Either the expensive new Honda part has given up, or it is the Gennys coil this time. Again, the uprated Jaws type that has done only 20k miles.

So bike is going to Honda Valencia tomorrow am. And we shall see what is required.

I shall need a holiday after all this :banghead)

Back on my second favourite subject of food, just had the same meal at a little restaurant as the hotel I'm staying at last night. A coarse English pub type salad with a bit of tuna and Cherizo and boar sausage slices, shortly followed ( ie before you have finished ) with a small dish of freshly cooked pork pate and small dish of seasoned mashed potatoe. Forthe first time for me, also small dish of morcels of fried pig's ear. If you were v hungry, you could eat them all. But I just scrapped off any fleshy bits, and left the slightly chewy cartilaginous middle. V sweet and quite good flavour. This is followed by a plate of three sausages with sautéed potatoes. One is a 100% pork, one a black pudding, and the last a mergez or spicy example.

All this washed down with the local vino, which seems to be a blend of syrah and cabernet savignon. Normally included in the price, they don't care whether you just pour yourself a glass or finish the bottle.

I'll try to update you tomorrow on what is needed for the bird. Will be more inclined to give the new 'Jaws' outfit a call if it's the genny.

Fook Chris..........You seem to be takin over my mantle of "Bad Luck God"........keep it up my son.........keep it up!!!! lol lol
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn