Exhaust header pipes

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Exhaust header pipes

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:50 am

The header pipes on a "spare" Bird I have, whilst 'stainless' and off a FI Bird, were all but shot when I removed them as part of a makeover I've been giving her. Thanks to a very generous Member, I acquired an almost brand new set of FI downpipes to replace the old ones.

However, the old ones, in the state they were in were good for fook all really, other than an emergency set so I was in a quandry as to what to do. Tried to physically remove the corrosion ( yes, stainless steel will surface corrode and badly if left as these were), but it was like pissing in the wind so gave that idea up. Then called into local powder coaters ( http://twobrotherscoatings.co.uk ) and they kindly bead blasted them for me. They came up, as expected....dull grey :shock) but at least corrosion free. Over the next few weeks, I kept 'avin a go at them with power tool abrasives, hand abrasives, wet and dry, little and often and finally with polishing mops on the bench 'grinder'. They have finished up in what I think is quite a reasonable and acceptable state being quite err, shiney in places, (fortunately the places that matter) and have today been refitted.

Glad I perservered with them now. :rockon)

20170323_170035.jpg

20170323_170048.jpg

20170323_170104.jpg

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Exhaust header pipes

Postby Oldbull » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 am

Me , I would have just rung Taff and got another set...usually not worth the effort when they get to that stage ... You finally got some time on yer hands Murf. :clap:
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Oldbull wrote:Me , I would have just rung Taff and got another set...usually not worth the effort when they get to that stage ... You finally got some time on yer hands Murf. :clap:

Read the fookin post proper :rolleyes: Ive GOT another set, as new, from Ramo. so dont need to ring Taffy do I duh . Just seemed a shame to waste them without putting a little effort into them to see how they turn out.

:mrgreen:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:09 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: They look the Mutts Nuts!!!!! :notworthy) :notworthy) :notworthy)
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 am

Let me get this right... You got a proper set as new already and your fekin about with a rusty old set as if they will be extinct in a matter of months .. :-P They is as comman as muck ffs :-P :-P

Btw. They rot from inside out tha nose ... Put the new set on and save yersen the grief later howdy
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:26 am

Oldbull wrote:Let me get this right... I have speed read the OP, therefore not digesting and understanding one fekkin word really, ignored the photos and so come to this summarisation...........

"You got a proper set as new already and your fekin about with a rusty old set as if they will be extinct in a matter of months .. :-P They is as comman as muck ffs :-P :-P

Btw. They rot from inside out tha nose ... Put the new set on and save yersen the grief later " howdy

Hmmmmm, are you mebbe getting confused with exhaust pipes and downpipes/headers? I'd have thought the photos shoulda helped with clarity.
Header/downpipes 'comman as muck' ?.? Where's dat den? The Honda Blackbird Exhaust and Downpipe Discount Centre? Got a link mate?

(The stainless headers dont rot from inside tha nose, the carb headers arent stainless and will rot.....the shiney exhausts, them things that point to the back of the bike, one on either side that the noise comes out of :mrgreen: are stainless and shiney on the outside, but the inside sleeve and baffle isnt and so yes it will rot from inside)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Well put Sir :clap: I say bloody good shot Sir! Lovely Lovely Lovely lol
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 am

Taffys got a shed full , Grants got two sets.. Plenty about without even trying too hard... Not worth the effort trying to restore them as they will only blow on collector box..
But thats just me, if you want to change them again in six months time knock yersen oot howdy
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 am

Oldbull wrote:Taffys got a shed full , Grants got two sets.. Plenty about without even trying too hard... Not worth the effort trying to restore them as they will only blow on collector box..
But thats just me, if you want to change them again in six months time knock yersen oot howdy

The stainless ones dont blow on the collector box. It was the carb ones that rotted.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:18 am

First sentence on first post..."headers on spare Red Bird" Geddit......SPARE. trying not to spend anything on it other than essentials as it'll go as soon as. You know that though dontcha lol :-P

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 am

You seen the price on STAINLESS headers? Fekks sakes :bigcry:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to The Whippit Inn