2017 Gaylords Borders Aftermath

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

2017 Gaylords Borders Aftermath

Postby Dark Angel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am

Another year, another Borders Run - and another set of tour tales that may never be told beyond the circle of those attending.
The purely juvenile thrill of riding one’s motorcycle to an agreed destination in order to meet and to celebrate life in the company
of preferred, confirmed reprobates is still hugely attractive to me, even at my age, and I make no apologies for the fact that I can
still take time out to act like a total twat in the company of those few, trusted and like-minded souls known as “the lads”.

The days of four and twenty Blackbirds – and, frequently, many more than that number - convening regularly to consume
considerable amounts of fossil fuels on relatively radar-free roads has long since passed into folklore. These days, I seem to
be the sole surviving ‘Bird pilot, with the rest of the Border raiders on lighter, more modern machinery (excluding the BMW
tractors of course). Still, everyone’s content to ride a few hundred miles through whatever weather God sends, all for a few
laughs, rides and plenty of beer in the company of others still willing and able to demonstrate their love of two-wheeled,
motorised travel - with neither a motorhome nor a trailer in sight.

Having agreed to meet with OB and Bluegas at Devils Bridge, I threaded my way through the Bank Holiday motorway traffic,
disgusted by the number of cars infesting the highway as they carried their one or two passengers at ten miles per hour towards
a distant destination. Honestly, I don’t know how they can do that to themselves. A little over an hour later I was at the Bridge,
listening to my mobile phone as OB explained the horrors endured by himself and Bluegas as the weather (heavy rain and virtually
zero visibility), combined with the Easter traffic, would mean a late rendezvous. It was a relief to see them arrive safely, ninety
minutes later.

After that, it was just three bikes headed for the Borders region over country roads untroubled, unhindered, unfettered and free –
“free as a ‘Bird” I thought – and the grins began as we wound our way sweetly through the countryside to Scotland. What a life we lead!

Bikes.jpeg

We stayed at the Buccleuch Arms Hotel, a supremely bike-friendly place that offers all the amenities you’d expect – not only
accommodation - but also secure bike storage, a jet washer, buckets, cloths and polishes, free-to-use and sufficient to keep
even the fiercest cleanliness fanatic happy.

Jetwash.jpeg

Prudence and tradition (what goes on tour stays on tour!) forbids any detailed account of the shenanigans over the weekend, but my fondest
memories are those relating to Mrs Overall and the surcharge for the kippers; the fantastic rideout organised by Jono that took us from Moffat
to the east coast and back again through some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK; the pubs and (amazingly!) the clubs; the characters we
met and the characters we are; the fall and the desperate, desperate search for the kebab; the usual Sena fiasco and, of course, the craic –
simply outstanding!

Floors .jpeg
JC.jpeg

Shite Shirt Co.jpeg

The purely juvenile thrill of riding one’s motorcycle to an agreed destination in order to meet and to celebrate life with a select group of preferred,
confirmed reprobates is still hugely attractive to me, even at my age. Amazingly, I’m not at all inclined to change my outlook on life and I look
forward to more of the same next year!

Waysign.jpeg
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: 2017 Gaylords Borders Aftermath

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Brill

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Barrie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Nice write up, Eric. Now, where are my bike keys? :ride)
Barrie
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Simmo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Congratulations on flying the Ixxra flag

The only one to take the beautiful xx

Well done Eric :notworthy) :notworthy)
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Lol very nice write up pal :ride)
and I look
forward to more of the same next year!

Next month more like. ;) ;)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Ahem....what dates that then?????? :-?
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Dark Angel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 am

Oldbull wrote:Next month more like

jono49 wrote:Ahem....what dates that then??????

SLs.jpg

I defo fancy a look at this - and it's only a coupla hours from Clun :ride)

https://straightlinersonline.co.uk/even ... h-may.html
Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 am

That sounds like a plan.. Plenty of overnight options available as well as clun. :rockon)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bluegas » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 pm

An excellent appraisal of the weekend Eric, still laughing now lol That'll be £2.11 extra for ya kippers....... jawdropping
bluegas
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby jono49 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Fookin right as well duh as they had ter phone all the other hotels and B&B's in Moffat to see who had some! As it's such a financial risk stocking kippers the hotels take turn at keeping them, FFS Eric how inconsiderate of you asking for Kippers without 24hrs notice jawdropping this will be headline news in the Annandale herald and Moffat news...."Chaos at the Buccleuch as Sasenach asks for Kippers giving no notice"..... £2.11 ya got off light lol lol lol
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Ahh yea..."£2.11"........"and how wud yi lek ye scrambled eggs done; poached? fried? :banghead) :-?

Fekk me you lot got me giggling lol

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Cyclops » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Poor old Mrs Overall seemed really concerned that Eric might not be able to stump up the extra £2.11 for his Kippers rotfl

A few more pictures from a very enjoyable weekend of riding really great roads, drinking and mostly laughing with great company.

A run over some stunning twisty roads to our first piss stop.
_010388.jpg
Our first stop after meeting up with Alan and John.

Our second stop was with the intention of paying £3 and going inside the castle but upon arrival it transpired that it was £5 to obtain entry, it was knocked on the head amidst gasps of shock and horror at the price.
_010391.jpg
Info for those intrested

_010402.jpg
Our second stop.

_010406.jpg
Some old bloke kept getting in the way.

Tim tried to breach a whole in the wall so we could sneak in but after half an hour had to give up.
_010407.jpg
Tim expressed his disgust at the price of entry.

After a wonder around and a few pictures Tim produced a light snack from his topbox.
_010389.jpg
Getting ready for the off and the hotel.

_010414.jpg
Checking the weather forecast.

_010373.jpg
The Jim Clark rooms

_010374.jpg
The motley crewe.

_010372.jpg
The more civilised used the toilet in the museum, one did not.

After a great day riding some really fast empty twisty roads a stop off at the Gray Mares Tail on the way back, I was was going to go a bit closer but my boots were not made for walking so had to settle for this.
_010380.jpg
The Gray Mares Tail.

Thanks to all who attended and a special thanks to John and Alan for the great routes :notworthy)
BANNED

Half blind and brain dead.
Cyclops
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

bluegas wrote:That'll be £2.11 extra for ya kippers...

jono49 wrote:.... £2.11 ya got off light lol

T.Murphy wrote:..."and how wud yi lek ye scrambled eggs done; poached? fried?

...Wunta missed it fer the world!

Dark Angel
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to The Whippit Inn