Pinlock Problem !

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Pinlock Problem !

Postby Sircular » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:46 am

Hi Peeps, As you may or may not be aware, I managed to get a "Pinlock insert" fitted to a new visor, for my Caberg Justissimo GT, in Dec`16. (Loving the fog free view). The problem I have is :- After lifting the chin bar & visor, & with just the slightest of head movements, the whole thing just drops down again,with the chin bar blocking my view !(Not good !) (The visor on it`s own stays up no problem.) I then fitted my old visor,(minus insert) just to prove a point.= no problems (chin bar & visor stays up !) So, I`ve come to the conclusion :- Due to the extra weight of the Pinlock insert, the ratchet mechanisms just can`t cope! I tried changing the ratchet parts from my old Caberg, but they seemed even worse. Tried cleaning with brake cleaner, so there`s no lubricant on the ratchet mechanisms, but not any better. Has anyone had a similar problem, after fitting a Pinlock to a modular helmet ? (not necessarily on a Caberg) and have a solution ? Any sensible answers guy`s n gal`s ? I don`t really need any comments on the merits of Caberg, or which lid is better ! Or "Don`t shake your head". If not I`ll just have to live with it. Thanks, kind regards, Sircular.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Pinlock Problem !

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Not sure that I quite follow Len.

Cant see the weight of the pinlock ( couple or 3 grammes or so) would have any effect on your helmet. Is the pinlock catching the front lip of your helmet as the bar is raised? Hope you sort it anyrode. :rockon)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Err, is a modular helmet a flip up? Is that what you mean Len? ( yea, I'm stupid I know) Got a Shoei Neotec and prev was a Shoei Multitec and never had a problem with the pinlock.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Sircular » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:28 am

Hi Murph, Thanks for your reply. (Yes, "Modular" means Flip up. :dunce) ) It just seems as if the flip up mechanisms, (Ratchets), can`t cope with the extra weight of the pinlock on my Caberg. That`s the only explanation that makes sense : = With pinlock (& slight head movement), helmet chinbar closes ! Without pinlock = No problem, chinbar stays up ! I take it your shoei`s came with the pinlocks fitted ? So, If poss`, I`d like to know if anyone else has had a Pinlock fitted (as an after-market helmet part,) and, if they`ve had the same problem, & if they`ve found a solution ? Or it could just be that, the mechanisms are crap on the Cabergs, and I`ll just have to live with it, :banghead) (until I get another helmet). Kind regards, Sircular. snowman P.S. Were do all the used helmets go ?
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn