What Three Words...

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

What Three Words...

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Anybody out there used it? What is it? Is it any good?

First,

What is what3words? -

It's an App that's free to download.:
"We divided the world into 3 metre
squares and gave each square a
unique combination of three words.
It’s the easiest way to find and share
exact locations."

I find this concept mind boggling...I mean the whole world surface divided into 3 mtere squares? WTF :-?

Mister Majestic had spoken about this app a few times and I never took much notice, as well as it being mind boggling, I also assumed its just another bloody app to take up space on your mobile phone and anyrode, Id got a Garmin so why bother eh? :rolleyes:

Here's the story of its inception

:Chris Sheldrick used to work in the music industry, organising live events around the world. He quickly discovered that in the music world, people struggle with poor addressing every day. Getting lost trying to find events was pretty common.

He had some pretty bad days, like in Italy, when a driver unloaded all the equipment an hour north of Rome, instead of an hour south of Rome. And a slightly worse day, when a keyboard player called him and said, ‘Chris, don’t panic, but we may have just sound-checked at the wrong wedding’

After experiencing a few too many navigation nightmares, Chris sat with his mathematician school friend, Mohan Ganesalingam, to find a way to describe location that would be as precise as GPS coordinates, but more concise and easier for people to use. Before long, Mohan created the first 3 word address algorithm on the back of an envelope. Chris and Mohan then connected with Jack Waley-Cohen, also a school friend, with a background in translation – and what3words was born. It’s been eight years since Chris, Mohan and Jack co-founded what3words. Today millions of people across the world are using 3 word addresses to find, share and describe places faster and more easily – from festival-goers and travellers to delivery drivers, event organisers and postal services.

Fast forward to September 2021......three of us; Cyclops, Mister Majestic and myself...returning from a 2 week jaunt around Northern Spain, the Pyrenees and up through French France...our last destination before the ferry back to Blighty was Dieppe. This ride from central France was a ballache of motrways, peages and "Garmin off route" moments resulted in Mr Majestic losing us somewhere along the peage, northwest of Paris. By the time we got to Dieppe, it was late and any available accomodation was grabbed. Mr majestic did like wise just outside Dieppe arranging to meet the following morning, our departure day!

Cyclops' bike and mine had been parked on the sea front ( free parking) Saturday morning, Dieppe was rammed...market day amongst other events....traffic chokka and no parking anywhere.....how to direct/get Mister Majestic to come down to meet us before heading to the ferry port? Be like trying to find a needle in a haystack Shirley.

Ha! What about that app...What3Words. Tried it....sent the link to Mr Majestic and it brought him to the exact spot we were parked. Bloody amazing.

Then sometime in November, my Freelander broke down up on Strines Moors....fuel pump shot and recovery needed. Also , broke down on a steep hill and diesel covered the road. Phoned AA who asked my location......"err , Mortimer Road (its about 10 miles long)....just above Bradfield, err no just past it actually......ey up, wait a minute....do you use What3words app"

Yes, she replied. So without further ado, gave her the 3 words for the square I was stood on in the middle of nowhere and lo and behold the AA recovery truck was there within an hour. AA man said he'd only used the app once or twice but that it was brilliant.

Further to that, with the road being awash with diesel, phoned the police/local council to tell them of the hazard ....using my 3 word location and the council were up and cleaning within the hour.

What an absolutely brilliant app. :clap: Id recommend it .

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: What Three Words...

Postby bluegas » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:51 pm

C42EC7E1-EE96-4DBA-943B-E5BF51858E40.jpeg
C42EC7E1-EE96-4DBA-943B-E5BF51858E40.jpeg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 638 times
bluegas
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby XXtremist » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:08 pm

I thought the app was good until I looked up my address.

The words it had chosen were Stupid Old Fart :rolleyes:

Happy New Year,

Chris
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:37 pm

Tim,

newer 2 word version available now
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:59 pm

Happy birthday and New Year Chris hny

hny everyone else and I hope its a better one than the last two :roll)
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 pm

XXtremist wrote:I thought the app was good until I looked up my address.

The words it had chosen were Stupid Old Fart :rolleyes:

Happy New Year,

Chris

Spooky Chris, thats what it says my address is too.

HNY matey.....hope to catch up this Spring eh.
:rockon)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to The Whippit Inn