Irresponsible? No doubt you'll tell me

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Irresponsible? No doubt you'll tell me

Postby space invader » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:58 pm

Had my son over for the weekend. ( Long story etc. etc. )
8 years old, but takes after his old man, and is very tall for his age.
Helps me polish the 'bird, and asks if he can get a run on it.
Now I've had him round the block, and round the village on the bike and that was fine, but he wants more.
So I get him all leathered up, (my girlfriend's gear fits him fine) and we take off along the single track twisty back roads that surround where I live.
Jeezus, 10 minutes into the run, the little bastage is right into it, leaning into the corners harder than I am. He is a total natural.
Having him as a passenger is like wearing a rucksack, you would never even know he was there.

Anyway, time comes to take him back to the egg donor, and I suggest that I take him home on the bike......
He freaks..... Apparently motorcycles are the vehicles of Satan and if she knew that he had been on the bike, I would never get to see him again. :? She didn't think that when we were married!

What do you guys think, is 8 too young to be on a bike?

Answer please, and be honest.

TSI
space invader
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Demontat » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:05 pm

OOhhh... good one TSI :?

The fact that he was geared-up with the safety stuff makes it more reasonable, however, as a father of three myself I think its a bit too young to be on a superbike such as the Bird. :roll) Its one thing to cruise on a moped or a dual-sport bike around the neighborhood or campground or such... but on pavement, hitting the twisties on a land-missile? In my book thats just :P
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby space invader » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:32 pm

Thanks for the input, all answers welcome.

I didn't say that I was doing 150 mph, so how can the fact that I was on a Blackbird be any different to a scoot, cruiser, or any other kind of bike?

They would all hurt if you fell off.

I was doing legal speeds, on empty roads, with a fully kitted up passenger, who could, as UK law requires, comfortably reach the pegs.

Yeah, a Blackbird can do ridiculous speeds but you don't have to drive it balls out all the time.

TSI
Last edited by space invader on Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
space invader
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Chrixx » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:47 pm

I believe that size is as important as age. Since the leathers fitted he must have been ok on size.
The Blackbird can be as docile as any small bike with a gentle right hand and more comfortable than most. The passenger foot pegs are at a decent reach.
In 1992, I took my then 13 years old son from Hampshire to the IOM TT and back on an elderly (1977) GL1000 Gold Wing. He was impressed that we covered a 50 mile distance on the M6 in 30 minutes (well, it was around mid night). My only fatherly concern was that on the way home, late at night, he kept falling asleep. If I felt him "dropping off" (no pun intended) I would have to dab the brakes to wake him up until I could stop somewhere!
He's now just become 25, is an our of work mechanic (since Motorcycle City closed), owns two Yamahas and a 1200 Bandit. He turned out fine. :)
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:38 pm

What's the problem, the kid enjoyed it, the rider was safe, and all safty measures where followed...Kids are racing 125cc motocycles as proffessionals at the age of 13+14.

When is the right time/place etc.... it all depends on the individuals
I think your kids ready, you are responsible and the ex is over-reacting.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Trident » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:49 pm

I'm with BA on this one. As long as the usual safety precautions were taken, and the passenger is physically big enough / strong enough and understands what to do, I can see absolutely nothing wrong.

I know that motorcycle accidents can be fatal or serious but so can drowning accidents in the local swimming pool, or falling accidents from trees / climbing frames, car accidents.....etc.etc.etc. Virtually everything you do will have a risk attached to it so if you didn't take any risks at all it would be impossible to live anything approaching a normal life.

Additionally he's your son, and he wanted to have a go. Even if Mum say's NO, thats two out of the three elligible votes cast in favour of riding so don't let it play on your mind.
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby space invader » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:07 pm

ChriXX

So you AVERAGED 100 mph........ With a sleeping child onboard.

Shall we change the thread to "Are WE irresponsible?"

Welcome to the bad parents club! :D

P.S. I have had a mate call me this pm, who read this thread, and asked me to take his 11 year old daughter out on the bike, because his wife does not trust him to do it.... 8)

Come on guys, let me know what you think..

TSI
space invader
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:16 pm

Personnally I think if you're old enough & sensible enough to ride an xx, then if u use common sense why not take an 8yr old on the back :thumbsup)
BUT remember when u do folks be even more careful out there :thumbsup)
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Chrixx » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:47 am

In reply to Space Invader, please don't misunderstand me. He was wide awake and holding tight on the "fast" run. I had to be in good time for the IOM ferry.
The return trip was much more leisurely but it was very boring for him after an exciting week camping, the TT, late nights, etc.
I did become the local hero with my son's mates for getting him off school, taking him to the Magic Island and doing it on a bike. I was classed as a "COOL DAD" with loads of "STREET CRED". I thought it good as I was 50 yrs old at the time :) and should have been past it. Look at the Album for my last years injury. :bigcry:
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby XXAndy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:58 am

My daughter, now 13 wont go on the bike anymore :banghead) since the last time we went on a long run it pi**ed it down and she got soaked, (she had a Gortex jacket on too??). However, I had taken her on long runs from the age of 7, fully geared up. :D I have to disagree with demon :roll) about taking kids on the back of such powerfull bikes. I can asure you it still hurts as much when you fall off scooters at 30mph as falling off a big bike at 30mph :bigcry: , its not the bike, its how you ride it and I would never condone having a kid on the bike while you give it larg :evil) with some of your mates.
XXAndy

Postby Ladybird » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:22 pm

What a wonderful thing to do…to share your hobby with a loved one, who is as passionate as you are. You share excitement and treasured moments and how good you must feel and proud. I certainly, personally, would not consider you irresponsible in any way. You have taken the care to protect your loved one, and it’s far better that personal safety is explained at an early age, so that will stay with him for the rest of his life. I find it sad that you have found yourself in this conflict, and perhaps, it could simply be a gut reaction, but you never know, she may reflect on what has been said.

I say hats off to you for giving your son, in the safest and most controlled environment possible, the opportunity to ride with you. I have ridden in a group with others that have child pillions as passengers and we all protect the little ones, taking care to prove to them that this can be a very enjoyable experience.

Whilst at Squires Bike Café on Sunday it was heart warming to see Dad come in on a bike, Mum following on another bike closely behind, with daughter riding pillion. All wrapped up safely in the best protection. I can tell you that the little one was a lot younger than 8! Not only that but a father on a Goldwing with a side car on, that contained a baby in its car seat fastened in there safely, sound asleep, and his young son on the back riding pillion.

We personally have not gone down the route of having children, but should we have done you could be rest assured that they’d be riding pillion on Birds too!!
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Re: Irresponsible? No doubt you'll tell me

Postby Demontat » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:26 am

I have given much thought to this topic over the last day and I am a bit confused at my true opinion as of now. Others have brought up many excellent points and have swayed my position in some ways. Let me point out where perhaps some of my misunderstanding came from

space invader wrote:we take off along the single track twisty back roads that surround where I live.
Jeezus, 10 minutes into the run, the little bastage is right into it, leaning into the corners harder than I am. He is a total natural.
Having him as a passenger is like wearing a rucksack, you would never even know he was there.
TSI

Perhaps I read this wrong, but at first this appeared to me that the ride was on the aggressive side. Let me point out as well that I believe that the US society doesnt embrace or utilize the motorcycle as much as Europeans do so seeing a child on a bike is totally foreign to me. Now that I have re-read the post I can see where I misunderstood it.

My 12 year old daughter has asked to go for a ride on my Bird. Although I do have a helmet that would fit her I have no other gear for her. But now to be totally honest... my gut reaction is reluctant since I would rather that she didn't get excited about being a pillion since I am scared that perhaps someday she would get on a bike with a fella that she had feelings for and makes a clouded decision based on those feelings and ends up getting hurt or worse by a bad rider. I would love if she wants to be a biker someday and would gladly teach her how to ride... but I dont think that being a pillion is necassarily required to become a good operator. As I type this I can see that my mind is a cluster-fuck on this topic.

Bottom line: I am uber-protective of my kids and I LOVE motorcycles... I need to find a way to bring those two together.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Chrixx » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:35 am

Ladybird :) what a nice warm response from the heart.
I am lucky in being married to a motorcycling wife (sorry, but she also drives a VOLVO!) . She had an old British Velocette in the early 1970's but gave up to start the family. She never actually took her test but submitted to the CBC a few years ago and bought a 125 Yamaha.
My son, now 25 went through the 16'er stage, even a Domino Pizza Boy, then took his test on an RD 125 Yam. (from 13 years he rode 80cc and 125cc Motocross) He the had an RD400, XS650 and now a Bandit 1200. In a weeks time he is off to India to "Find himself", "The meaning of Life" or something like that. (He may rent an Enfield).
My daughter, 29 next month, failed on her test by having to touch her foot down on the compulsory "U" turn in the pouring rain. She will be trying again soon but time and money need to be spent elsewhere at the moment.

Yes, it is very rewarding to be able to share your hobby and way of life with your loved ones, it is a special experience. :)
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Badger » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:51 am

I have been giving this some thought as well and i am quite suprised as to your reason DT for not wanting your kids as a pillion, I must be honest and say i had never given it a thought about what they will get up to in the future regarding bikes.
I did take my little girl out on the bird she is 11 and she loved it , now she wants to go out all the time but because she hasnt got leathers (we wrapped her up real well when i took her out) I dont want to .
She was a great pillion because she weighs so little and i didnt even know that i had her on the back , so the temptation to blast it was tremendous, but i didnt, fastest was about 60 .
now I took my lad to the P&P at Tazs and he was going to get a moped next year before we went . He doesnt want one now , he wants direct access when he gets older, so he can get a bike with a bit of grunt :roll)
It is nice to have your children taking an intrest in our intrests (the XX )
and my advice is do it safely and take them on the back they will either love it or hate it , but at least it gives them a chance to find out , I think worrying about what might happen in the future is bit pointless , give em a safe pillion ride then they will hopefully recognise an idiot rider and they wont go pillion with them, and as we are all aware safe does not have to mean slow.
Back and Ready to Ride
Badger
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:59 am

Demon, if you'r main concern is wheather your daughter will ride pillion with some idiot later in life...rest asured...nothing you can do or say now , and maybe even when the time comes is going to make any difference, When the old LOVE BUG hits here, she's gonna do whatever regardless of her better judgement or not.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Chrixx » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:07 am

Very correct Badger. It all comes back to "Example", training and cherished care.
As I said before, my son had some limited pillion experience then started at Motocross. This was in the Saudi Arabian desert at a proper track. After a few spills he soon gained a respect for bikes and the need for wearing proper riding gear, operating under difficult conditions.
The funny side was that when he was 16 and riding a Pizza delivery moped, he was pulled over by the police because he was stiking his leg out on corners (MX style). At the time I was thankfull that the police were watching out for the youngsters.
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Demontat » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:26 pm

I know I'm not being very rational on this topic :P I appreciate all of the input... I am taking it to heart and going to really consider how to make more reasonable decisions. :bigcry:

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby space invader » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:45 am

Okay, thanks for all the encouragement, especially Demon!

The positive response made me decide to get the wee man his own set of gear, see below, trousers and boots arriving next week.
Also invested in a "Pillion Pal" belt with handles, absolutely great, he loves it, says he feels really safe now he can have something decent to hold on to.

Had a great weekend, myself and the wee Invader taking off along some of the deserted twisties near home here. Egg donor has been told all about it, and although not best pleased, trusts me enough to be responsible.

Thanks for the support, you guys are the best......

TSI

Anyone help getting the photo to appear please!
space invader
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Deano » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:24 am

Sorted for ya
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Postby bezzer » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:29 pm

Kinnell thought you had been taking photos of Taz :? until I noticed it was wrong colour bike then on closer examination the lad has got an inch or two more inside leg as well :roll)
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby numb bits » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:34 pm

lol lol Bezzer
numb bits

Postby swamp donkey » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:46 pm

lol :stupid) mind you there cant be two Taz's :roll)
we up we down we gone !!!
swamp donkey
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:47 pm

swamp donkey wrote: mind you there cant be two Taz's

Thank fook for that :roll) lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:59 pm

Well yer all wrong - therez two of me all right - Niki is the image of me and will no doubt be there to carry on the tradition when I'm too old to care :) It was only this evening when we were talking about 'The Will' (which I haven't got :mrgreen: ) and he said - 'Leave me the Bird' :P Dunno if he meant the one Mrs.Taz knows about or the one I :hump) when the fancy takes me :oops) Could be an interesting reading by the solicitors :D
TazCBR1100XX

Return to The Whippit Inn