Silly but Clever

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Silly but Clever

Postby AnthSP1 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:47 am

A mate of mine popped over to my place a couple of days ago and ne brought up in the conversation that he had made his own mushrooms (or crash protectors) for his bike. I was curious and ansked him how, as I knew he did not have a lathe. Well, turns out he used SKATEBOARD WHEELS!!
I dunno about you but I think that is damned clever cos they look pretty damn good.

Any thoughts??
"Thrash bike until pistons melt"
AnthSP1
IXXRA Founder

Postby Badger » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:36 am

that is a fookin good idea , how did he make the spacer for the distance outwards?
The wheels should work quite well as they are polyurethane ( spelt correctly?) but budding skaters know that you can pay a lot of money for wheels so i would check on the price of the proper item compared to wheels first.
Nice Idea 8)
Back and Ready to Ride
Badger
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Chrixx » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:28 am

Does anyone out there have any first hand experience of the effectiveness of "mushrooms" actually prtecting the bodywork in the event of a slide down the road? Are they just something else to replace?
:bigcry:
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby XXAndy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:03 am

Hmmm, contentious issue this, I will go and attempt to upload a picture into the gallery, (have a look), of the shroom imbedded into my plastic after the recent 'off' Sometimes they work wonders other times they can cause more damage than good :bigcry:
XXAndy

Postby bezzer » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:08 am

If they are mounted to just the fairing bolt holes they dont give any real protection if you go down at any speed BUT expensive damage can happen if you drop it at a standstill as a lot of us have found out in this scenario they can give protection and save you the cost of new panels. The bolt through engine mounts shrooms can be very effective though
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Captain » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:31 pm

Had 'rooms fitted to my ZZR11 when I had an off........ They were the only things that caused the bike to be written off :bigcry: as they punched a dent in the frame - game over as far as financially viable to repair is considered, the rest of the damage was limited to plastic and a torn off O/S exhaust. So, no I will not be fitting them to the 'bird.

p.s It made me see the light though, hence the 'bird.
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Chrixx » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:08 pm

YO HO HO Capt'n, my previous opinion was the little beggars looked a bit dubious in their function. Probably ok for leaning the bike against a tree while you had a quick pee around the back!

What has emerged from the above facts is that the "Industry", along with the insurers, needs to address the problem of expensive bodywork damage. Even a minor spill can write off half a faiing. In the old days it was usually just a bent foot rest, handle bar lever and scratched silencer.
All considered worthy battle scars that were cheaply fixed.

Enough! Full marks to the guy using the skate board wheels. (I never did master one of those. Too old to try) :banghead)
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Demontat » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:31 pm

SSHHEEIIITTT..... Mount the wheels right and put "Quickie" bearings in 'em and the fookin' bike will roll on down the fookin road on its side!!! :D

Not a bad idea though :wink)
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Chrixx » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:46 pm

Fine, but how do you stop it. Then I 'spose a gutter is like a half pipe :(
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn