Which foot..

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Which foot first?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:11 pm

Left
94%
Right
6%

Total votes : 16

Which foot..

Postby Grippy » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:11 pm

Which foot do you put down first?

I was at a theory session for the Institute of Advanced Motorists (Bike section) a couple of weeks ago and was asked this question..

When you pull to a stop, which foot do you put down, or if both, which one first?

I couldn't work it out at the time but the answer came as soon as I jumped onto the xx - always the left.
Grippy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Ladybird » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:50 pm

Well personally speaking, I was originally taught the left, when doing my initial bike training.....but I feel the answer should be the right one, cos' then you're ready to knock the Bird into gear after being stationary and sitting in neutral. However been a short 'ass dependent on the terrain of the road, I sometimes drop both.
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby jonah » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:19 pm

always left
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby BirdAddict » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:24 pm

It's always the left so you can cover the rear break at all times, however, now that I've passed my test, I always use the right leg as it's my strongest and I feel more in control of the bike, Also makes it quicker to select first gear instead of sitting at the lights with the cluch in for 3 mins while waiting for the lights to change
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Trident » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:02 pm

It was always stated that the left foot should be the one on the deck as the right foot should be on the rear brake when stationary. The idea behind this is that if you get shunted from behind you will still have a degree of control over where you're going if the front wheel can still rotate. If the front wheel is locked up, you're quite likely to be pitched up in the air in the event of a "rear end punt" almost certainly leading to an off.

It is also better to use the rear brake in the event of a hill start as it enables the fingers to be fully wrapped around the throttle giving better control compared with using the front brake.

So much for the "stock answer" personally, I always use my left foot as the right foot is bolted together and doesn't bend at all.
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:17 pm

I use either so havent voted, suppose mainly because when I started the old bikes had brakes on the left, got used to them then chopped and changed between them and the "modern" right brake, the older bikes needed both brakes to stop anyway so it was always the gear foot down. Nowadays I dont use the back brake to come to a stop at lights and junctions normally so it doesnt really matter what foot goes down first so it varies. Use the front brake on hillstarts as well.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Demontat » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:32 pm

I'm with Taxi... left than almost always switch to the right.. but left hits the deck first always. 8)

I also use the rear brake on hill starts. :mrgreen:

Of course around here the "cool" bikers on the start have both feet off the pegs about an inch off the ground and swung back almost to the rear pegs and keep it like that for the first 50 yards or so. :? Must have sumpin to do with the aerodynamics of having a tank top, shorts and sneakers on!! :D
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:55 pm

Well, therez fook all in the way of hills around here, so who gives a toss about hill starts :P

Now to the real question - why isn't there a poll option that says BOTH or NONE cuz they're about my only options :oops) If I could get ONE foot down, I'd be happy - if I could get TWO feet down I'd be a giant :D

When I can get a foot down, it's the right one - I like to be able to put it into gear when the lights change. As far as the braking thing is concerned it don't matter cuz having Dual CBS yer front brake is yer back brake and yer back brake is yer front brake :? SO all you hill starters that haven't decoupled the Dual CBS system are kidding yerselves aren't ya :D

So no vote from the Taz on this one

PS I just farted lol
TazCBR1100XX

Postby AnthSP1 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:03 pm

"Thrash bike until pistons melt"
AnthSP1
IXXRA Founder

The Hendon Shuffle

Postby Quiney » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:30 pm

says the left one down as the rear brake should alway be covered. This then requires the 'shuffle' to change feet and get the bike in gear, recover the back brake and the move off.
In reality, there are so many different circumstances, - road camber, side wind, pillion reaction that either OR both feet may be needed.

Also, TazCBR1100XX, the front brake lever only operates the rear brake whilst there is some wheel rotation. As soon as the bike is stationary it only operates the front.
Quiney
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby XXAndy » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:26 am

Yep, left for me too 8)
XXAndy

Postby Chrixx » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:04 pm

I predominately put down the left foot first. I usually snick into neutral just as I stop. (Depends how long the lights have been Red). Some times the situation varies, turning left, staight on or turning right, also I watch out so as not to plant my foot on oily patches. I find that you often get these where you are allowed to use bus lanes.
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Re: The Hendon Shuffle

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:37 pm

Quiney wrote:the front brake lever only operates the rear brake whilst there is some wheel rotation

With legs this short, there's ALWAYS some wheel rotation :) :P
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Chrixx » Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:55 pm

Aha, so you must be a Lowdown Bum! :hump)
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:06 pm

Not really, but I do a lot of arsing about :)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Captain » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:33 pm

I'm with the majority, left first then the shuffle to change ready for the off. :-)
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Grippy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:55 am

TazCBR1100XX wrote:Now to the real question - why isn't there a poll option that says BOTH or NONE cuz they're about my only options

Sorry Taz.. I didn't think that "Slip it into neutral, kick the side stand down, lean gently to the left and hope" would get many votes.
Grippy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Captain » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:28 am

:D :D :D
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby XXAndy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:41 am

:stupid) lol :jester) rofl
XXAndy

Return to The Whippit Inn