linked brakes

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

linked brakes

Postby Gizzit » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:43 pm

Went out for a blat with a few different bikes yesterday and down a particularly very tightly bending 'B' road near Minehead, I was trying to keep up with a couple of ex racers on gixxer thous.

As the pace quickened (fookinell!), I was just about managing to keep them in sight when we hit a fairly freshly gravelled stretch (bastid fookin local council twats) of road on a very tight bend, when one of the gixxers chucked up a piece of gravel which managed to ping into the slight opening in my visor and hit me on the eyelid. In that split second of lost concentration, my bottle smashed into a thousand pieces and I found myself heading at a very rapid pace towards a very substantial looking tree.

So, there I am, bottle in bits, copious amounts of gravel under the tyres, rapid pace of knots, and what do I do. In a moment of panic I grabbed a handful of front brake. All that training and experience went to rat shit in a split second.

If it had not been for Mr Hondas linked brake system I would have been wearing a rather fetching oak ensemble with blackbird accessories. The back end of the bike (after squirming quite dramatically on the gravel) managed step the bike back into shape which just gave me enough time to sort it out and stop in one piece.

I dont know about you guys, but I for one like the linked brakes - a lot!

The morlal of the story is...... don't try to keep up with ex racers on little tight country lanes riding gixxer thous. Give me a nice sweeping A road and the story might have been a bit different though. Mind you, those gixxers are fookin quick though!
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:49 pm

Pleased u & the xx are both in 1 piece mate :thumbsup)
The only people i've seen moaning about the linked brakes are the 'boy racer' type magazines :roll)
In an early edition of T.W.O mag Niall Mackenzie rode an xx, ZX12 & Busa down to the south coast of France (not by himself Taz u dumb :moon) lol) Super Mac raved about the linked brakes, saying he couldn't understand why alot of other bikes don't have 'em
Personally I love 'em ! :wink)

Good enough for Niall Mac, good enough for me ! :rockon)
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby numb bits » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:52 pm

Not bad for a sports tourer though :eek) and of course the gixers must of thought fookinell thought we would never shake it,(cheating gits throwing stones) lol
numb bits

Postby bezzer » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:57 pm

Spuds might like them in the South of France but he wouldnt be impressed on shitty icy winter roads in England when you just want a bit of back brake and get a front end slide. I can live with them and they're fine for the best part of the year but winter puts the shits up me dunno how I managed to stay on it a couple of times last year. Some of us dont put it away for winter be nice to be able to turn it off. :banghead) I WILL get round to delinking this year
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:12 am

Nice one NB...LOL
I for one have no complaints about the linked brakes. I do however find I'm using the rear brakepeddel a lot less than I should which may prove to be fatal some day when not riding a linked break system. Funny how no one ever complained when they where on the CB1000 or even all the scooters now adays have them, why then does it seem only to be a concern on the BB ????

Me thinks people like busa and zx12 want to make the BB look bad in order to make themselves look better....sorry guys, it's not working, we all know which is the better machine (Except you Andy...but you'll have time to learn and come crawling back with your tail between your legs asking for us good folk to take you back and forgive you.)

Linked breaks ... no problem.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXAndy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:39 am

:stupid)
I really love the linked brakes and it is one thing I am definatly going to miss. :bigcry:
I rode the bb through the winter with no problems at all. As long as you are aware of the bikes limitations (and the linked brakes do have some), you can learn to adapt your riding acordingly. :ride)
Glad to hear your safe and sound Gizzit, it only goes to show that we should all ride with-in OUR OWN skills and not to the skills of the riders we are out with.
I for one would not class myself as an excellent rider, (I have loads of experience and do more mileage than most, but I've also got all the bad habbits :rockon) ), so I try to ride with-in my limits, even if that means I am at the back of the pack.
Being at the back is the best place to be, in my opinion, you miss all the trouble as the others get to it first and when they leave you on the twisties, you can catch them up on the straights. :D
XXAndy

Postby Gizzit » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:52 am

:stupid) Yep, with you there Andy. I am still trying to scrub the.. er... adrenalin stains out of me leathers :P

It is all too easy to get dragged into a pace that is way too fast for comfort. It doesn't take much to end up as another statistic :cry) Still, no harm done, lesson learnt. :thumbsup)

Ride safe dudes.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:27 pm

TaxiRED wrote:i agree. on pea/pie run coming from skeggy, to fast into one corner errrm nearly got knee down my feet FIRMLY on pegs just dabbed the front brake, i got round JUST

:oops) Me too - and I was fookin leading :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby rob_1961 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:53 pm

Well i was with you boys and i felt comfy on the pie and pea run 2 up i might have to give u riding tuition :mrgreen:
Now on a busa
rob_1961
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Demontat » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:47 am

:thumbsup) :thumbsup) For the linked brakes !!
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:57 pm

TazCBR1100XX wrote: Me too - and I was fookin leading

Which corner was that then - The 1 outta you're drive mate :oops) lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:16 pm

No dude - it was the one round that fookin Silver 4X4 thingy that decided it wanted to test my stopping distance while I was preparing to execute an overtaking manoeuvre with some :knob) on a Red xx up my batty crease :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Bristle Hound » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:16 am

TazCBR1100XX wrote:overtaking manoeuvre with some :knob) on a Red xx up my batty crease

Who was that then ? :wink)
Must have been putting u under abit of pressure then on the ole' white xx then mate :clap: lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:28 am

Under pressure - me and my Ducati soundalike Super Sexy Silver xx :? Nah - I think it's more likely that the :tool) on the Red xx had got his nose stuck up Rosie's batty crease - fookin perv :D :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Bristle Hound » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:36 pm

:eyebrows) :oops) lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to The Whippit Inn