Running in

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Running in

Postby WolfManXXCBR » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:08 pm

What do you think of this fact or fiction :?

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
WolfmanXXCBR
WolfManXXCBR
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:24 pm

We've had this one before on the old forum. My opinion is - make up yer own mind :D

Personally I can't see this running in method delivering any more power or making the engine last any longer, but then again, I ain't a mikkinik :) If it's more power ya want - buy a bigger engine. If it's engine life yer concerned about, buy a new one every two years :wink) Honda will do the first 2 years under warranty, so test the metal (like I've done :oops) )
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Trident » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:39 pm

I've done a little research on this matter and although it is important to get a good seal between the rings and the bore the piston rings do an awfull lot more than seal up the combustion chamber.

One of the functions which is also performed by the piston rings which is usually missed is the fact that they are responsible for heat transfer from the piston through to the cyclinder walls. This heat transfer will be dependent on the surface contact area between the rings and the cylinder wall. In a new engine which will have been honed to remove the large mountains and valleys left from the boring bar, there are still relatively large valleys and mountains on the cylinder wall surface. This reduces the surface area available for heat transfer and therefore thrashing whilst the bore is still rough can result in high piston temperatures resulting in damage to the little end bearings and more importantly distorsion of the piston itself.

Additionally, ifyou consider that the rings fitted to most engines are "split" and that there is a small gap at the join it is obvious that the combustion gasses will escape through this gap throughout the life of the engine. Thus preventing a complete gas seal even if the ring / bore surface is perfect.

Piston ring manufacturers carefully design the rings to ensure that the gap is always present to allow for thermal expansion of the ring. The gap diameters on the 1st and second rings are also carefully calculated to spread the pressure drop across the rings such that ring flutter (ooh err) is minimised which would massively reduce the sealing effect of the rings.

There has been alot of research performed by the Society of Automtive Engineers regarding re-honing cylinder bores when engines have been re-ringed and they have found that the honing process is deliterious compared with putting new rings in an old engine. The rings wear to the bore even if the bore appears smooth as it would be in the case of a gentle break in.

So if you want my opinion, do it the way they say in the owners manual. At least then you should have no problems if something should go wrong when it comes to warrantee work.
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:44 pm

:stupid) :rockon)
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXAndy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:53 am

:stupid) Yep I'm following the book running in the Bus, under 5.5k for the first 500/600miles, then under 8k for the next 1,000miles and then....to infinity.....and beyond! :D
XXAndy

Postby Demontat » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:58 pm

XXAndy wrote::stupid) and then....to infinity.....and beyond! :D

Alrighty than, Space Ranger!! :D :P

" CAPTAIN... she's breaking up !!! She can't handle the speed and vibration... for gods sakes man she's only a Suksuzie !!! " :wink)
Last edited by Demontat on Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby WolfManXXCBR » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:58 pm

XXAndy wrote::stupid) Yep I'm following the book running in the Bus, under 5.5k for the first 500/600miles, then under 8k for the next 1,000miles and then....to infinity.....and beyond! :D

I've followed the xx book under 5k for the first 300 miles I'm now testing out the infinity bit :ride)
WolfmanXXCBR
WolfManXXCBR
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:12 pm

Still 5k on the xx equals 94 em pee aitch :wink)
Well does on a fast red 1 anyway ! :wink)
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby swamp donkey » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:47 pm

BH you really do need to get your eyes tested "a fast red one" :roll) i suppose next your be telling us a silver xx is the best colour to have :banghead)
we up we down we gone !!!
swamp donkey
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:59 pm

swamp donkey wrote:i suppose next your be telling us a silver xx is the best colour to have

:bigshock) :wtf: asshole lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:08 am

swamp donkey wrote:i suppose next your be telling us a silver xx is the best colour to have

No doubt you've noted my other posts regarding the fact that I've only seen FOUR new xx s and they've all been Limited Edition Silver :D :P Yer just fookin jealous cuz you got a grey one fat lad :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby XXAndy » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:00 am

Bristle Hound wrote:Still 5k on the xx equals 94 em pee aitch :wink)
Well does on a fast red 1 anyway ! :wink)

& 5k on the Bus equals 102 em pee aitch :finger) :ride)

swamp donkey wrote: i suppose next your be telling us a silver is the best colour to have

But of course lol
XXAndy

Return to The Whippit Inn