Brake dragging.

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Brake dragging.

Postby Hoggy » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:43 pm

Anyone out there know how to cure brake drag. It only occurs on the front.
I have serviced the calipers, all new seals, boots etc, well cleaned the pistons, new pads, but STILL they bind. It was nearly a problem in the last MOT (its a 1999 model) but he said it was just about acceptable.
ANY help or advice would be great - its driving me mad.

Hoggy
Hoggy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:52 pm

Have you put a dial gauge on the disks to see if they are running true. Have you got other than Honda pads in it, if you use EBC or similar you dont need to put the Honda shim on the back of the pad.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Brake drag

Postby Hoggy » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:56 pm

Havn't tried dial gauge, but am using genuine Honda pads from David Silver.

Hoggy
Hoggy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:04 pm

If the discs are running true then try the pads without the shim to see what happens other than that I cant see what you can do if the calipers and seals have been cleaned and replaced.
But then again is there something wrong with the master cylinder not allowing the pressure to return, and its got linked brakes so thats other valves as well that could have an effect.
Havent heard anyone else having the problem apart from the normal noise from gentle rubbing as the discs float over the pads which doesnt cause binding.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Brake dragging.

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:33 pm

Hoggy wrote:Anyone out there know how to cure brake drag. It only occurs on the front.
I have serviced the calipers, all new seals, boots etc, well cleaned the pistons, new pads, but STILL they bind. It was nearly a problem in the last MOT (its a 1999 model) but he said it was just about acceptable.
ANY help or advice would be great - its driving me mad.

Hoggy

Get rid of that phookin xx with that poof LINKED braking system. Learn how to bloody ride and you wouldn't need LINKED braking. Take the training wheels off, get on the BUS!!!! BUSA that is!!!!!! Feel the REAL power. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bus Driver

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:58 pm

Shame the Busa handles like a lame dick,good on the straight,which is probably why you ride one Busdriver,good for yank freeways,fookin useless here in Blighty on proper pot holed twisty mother fookers :P lol
numb bits

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:17 pm

Excuse me Mr. Numb Nuts. If you did any research (or ridden one) you know the Busa is better in corners than that crow that YOU drive. (oh yeah, we have twisty roads over here too, ya git)

Don't even bother me with your lame replies until you get your facts straight.

xx LINKED braking system??? What Honda boffin thought up that shite??

Please go away, thanks!

Maybe we will turn this into a BUSA site, kick all you 1100 CC wankers out! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bus Driver

Postby swamp donkey » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:32 pm

Bus Driver your busa cant be that good otherwise your be out riding it instead of coming on here and slaging off our choice of bike AND OUR MEMBERSwhy dont you just crawl back into your little hole curl up and fester
we up we down we gone !!!
swamp donkey
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:52 pm

How much research would you like, having ridden one yes i have! asshole
the facts are there too see in any test done by fooking profesional riders,
the Busa is good in a straight line but the xx has it on the Brakes the twisty bits and is far more comfortable,now we have a few x Busa owners on this site gone back to the xx because all round we think it's a better bike,now if you would like to talk like an adult;and can converse without expletives lets get it on otherwise fook off back to your boring site and try your look with the fastest road bike on the planet, ZX12R (FACT)... :mrgreen: I have ridden one of these too
anoyher FACT.
Last edited by numb bits on Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
numb bits

Postby Captain » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:00 pm

With you, on all of that NB,
in addition "bus boy" look out for the Hurricane 1300 blowing in next year, from a GREAT British marque Triumph. That will make the 'bus' look even less than it is, OVERALL :) (concede straight line speed part to you though :( )
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:41 pm

Hey nuts, I dispute your "professional rider" info. The Busa handles better. As far as comfort: I didn't buy it for comfort, you want comfort go buy a Goldwing. The big Kwak is a very nice bike. And..... as far as the new triumph goes...... it will be a cold day in hell when the Brits out engineer the Japanese.

Oh yeah...... how many xx riders from this site have switched to the BUSA? Answer that one O Numb One.

Caw!! Caw!!
Bus Driver

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:55 pm

Just one bus driver,XXandy our site moderator has a busa,caw caw,
but a plenty have switched back to the xx and me having owned all three,
ZX12R BUSA xx and just a few others but i wont bore you with that, if it the male dominance thing that turns you on get a Honda RCV that should shut yer gob oh and check out the badge (Honda) not fooking slugsuki
numb bits

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:03 pm

Your site MODERATOR????? Too funny. (suprised you even told me that) Twit!!

[Bus Driver Howling] :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .....
Bus Driver

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:15 pm

Did i forget to mention he had a realy gogeous xx a one off,the some prick in a coffin did a u turn in front of him that was the end of that,
but pm him and ask him what he thinks of the busa and the xx his bike is brand new, a couple of months old, he will give you a unbiased opinion,
I know which is better if you rode one you too would know ( xx )nuf said
numb bits

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:01 pm

numb bits wrote:Did i forget to mention he had a realy gogeous xx a one off,the some prick in a coffin did a u turn in front of him that was the end of that,
but pm him and ask him what he thinks of the busa and the xx his bike is brand new, a couple of months old, he will give you a unbiased opinion,
I know which is better if you rode one you too would know ( xx )nuf said

I've been on BOTH M8. Didn't own a bird, but did get some serious miles on one. It was typical Honda..... nice but not real exciting. (it is more comfy though, but I could give a toss about comfort)

Something about 99 ft lbs of torque (stock) made me pick the BUSA. I ALMOST had one though. Got my last Blade instead...... the kicker was that god-awful linked braking...... guess the new XX will have a "improved" version. Yikes!!!
Bus Driver

Postby Demontat » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:17 pm

Bus Driver,

Why do you even waste your time here? You are clearly more superior than all of us and it must bore you to tears trying to educate us on your fabulous choice of motorcycles.

I wish I was more like you... in fact, I wish I was you. 8)
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:24 pm

Did you ride a import xx version because i think and of course its my opinion that the xx can be very exciting in the right hands.
It has on many occasions given me a grin factor bigger than the hump on the back of the Busa,infact the xx lends you to go too hard into things,letting you forget your on a sports tourer,now the busa might get you there a nanno second faster but cant get you out of trouble as well as the xx can it just feels more responsive in tight situations,now we have all gone into corners too hard thats a fact of all riders we all thik were better than we actualy are so i like to think if that happens iv'e got the bike that will forgive my stupidity shouldn't we all think like that. lol
numb bits

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:24 pm

Demontat wrote:Bus Driver,

Why do you even waste your time here? You are clearly more superior than all of us and it must bore you to tears trying to educate us on your fabulous choice of motorcycles.

I wish I was more like you... in fact, I wish I was you. 8)

Ahh..... Demon gets a little sarcy eh? Very cool.

See ya tomorrow, Cheers!
Bus Driver

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:35 pm

numb bits wrote:Did you ride a import xx version because i think and of course its my opinion that the xx can be very exciting in the right hands.
It has on many occasions given me a grin factor bigger than the hump on the back of the Busa,infact the xx lends you to go too hard into things,letting you forget your on a sports tourer,now the busa might get you there a nanno second faster but cant get you out of trouble as well as the xx can it just feels more responsive in tight situations,now we have all gone into corners too hard thats a fact of all riders we all thik were better than we actualy are so i like to think if that happens iv'e got the bike that will forgive my stupidity shouldn't we all think like that. lol

Not sure what version it was. (not a California one though) I slag the XX, but it's not a bad bike....... just lacks ahh.... character. As far as over-cooking corners..... been there M8. I'm confident with the Busa and I think that's what counts. It steers slower than my Blade did. (I will raise the back end 1" to help that) One thing about the XX that surprised me was the weight of the XX. The big SUZI with her HUMP and all the curves looks heavy, but the weights are almost the same. Yeah, she is no Moto GP carver, but she does pretty damn good.
Bus Driver

Postby Trident » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:58 pm

Question for you Bus Driver - whats this?

You obviously like the Busa - no problems with that, but we like the XX. You can probably outride me and the Busa is faster so why slag off the XX on an XX site.

If you are in the field that you say you are you will realise that when it comes to mechanical plant that there are many different ways of doing the same job and only a few variants are inherently problematic (RBMK etc). Most of them have good points and bad points and often it will come down to a combination of local / personal factors which dictate what is the best solution.

I have no problems with constructive comments from anyone whether they own / ride an XX or not but I fail to see the point of the comments and insults that have been posted to date.
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:02 pm

Put a decent set of corsas on it that will help a bunch,the difference is astounding.
numb bits

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:04 pm

Trident wrote:Question for you Bus Driver - whats this?

[img]http://www.-trident.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/trv.jpg[/img]

You obviously like the Busa - no problems with that, but we like the XX. You can probably outride me and the Busa is faster so why slag off the XX on an XX site.

If you are in the field that you say you are you will realise that when it comes to mechanical plant that there are many different ways of doing the same job and only a few variants are inherently problematic (RBMK etc). Most of them have good points and bad points and often it will come down to a combination of local / personal factors which dictate what is the best solution.

I have no problems with constructive comments from anyone whether they own / ride an XX or not but I fail to see the point of the comments and insults that have been posted to date.

Lets see....... a BLUE xx?

I think the black ones are better looking!
Bus Driver

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:06 pm

Bus Driver wrote:
numb bits wrote:Did you ride a import xx version because i think and of course its my opinion that the xx can be very exciting in the right hands.

Not sure what version it was. (not a California one though) I slag the XX, but it's not a bad bike....... just lacks ahh.... character. As far as over-cooking corners..... been there M8. I'm confident with the Busa and I think that's what counts. It steers slower than my Blade did. (I will raise the back end 1" to help that) One thing about the XX that surprised me was the weight of the XX. The big SUZI with her HUMP and all the curves looks heavy, but the weights are almost the same. Yeah, she is no Moto GP carver, but she does pretty damn good.
numb bits

Postby Trident » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:09 pm

Try again Bus Driver
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby numb bits » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:17 pm

Dissapearing act all of a sudden :bigcry: in the corner :banghead)
numb bits

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn