Chain lubrication

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Chain lubrication

Postby Big Gav » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:26 pm

Hi Folks,

I have just joined the as it appears happy band of Black Birders :D
I have just picked up my year 2000 bike with an 02 registration only 3,000 miles just mint, though the tyres are flatten off with a full set of hero knobs on the outer tyre treads :knob) though I will do my best to explore the outer limits, also the tyres have been at the wrong pressures for some mileage ie 31 on the front and 34 on the rear, so replacements will not be far away :bigcry:

On the plus side it has the loudest Wolf oval cans I have heard plus the quiet inserts including the originals. :finger) + hugger, fork protectors, DB screen

I am interested in your comments if I should fit a Scotoiler or not? as I do intend to do some mileage :tool)

From a little chap of 6'6" 20stone in Guildford, Surrey

Great site

Big Gav Ixxra
Big Gav
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:09 am

Welcome Gav, 6'6" and 20stone??? :D whatever you decide that's OK with me dude :notworthy) .
Any chain oiler helps if you're doing the miles, saying that I've had a scottoiler for about 9 months now and havent fitted it as I was trying to find a better place than near enough flat under the seat though nearly everyone puts theirs there. Tried it out without connecting it on the left fairing inner in front of the gear lever but it got too hot and the oil would have pissed out like water and still looking for alternatives before I finally decide.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jonah » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:14 am

welcome, the first thing i did when i purchased my xx was to fit a touring scot oiler and i have never had to adjust the chain in 4,000 miles the resevoir for the touring kit fits in the seat cowl out of the way although you have to trim a lot of the excess plastic on the resovoir off.I have had a bike licence for 34 years but none have given me so much fun as the xx so happy biking :D
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby XXAndy » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:36 am

I had a scottoiler on my baby and notched her up to 56k before it was bounced down the tarmac by a twat in a cage. Can highly recommend em and have fitted one to my new baby.
XXAndy

Postby swamp donkey » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:40 pm

Hiya Gav welcome to the Ixxra funny farm :thumbsup) its a scotoiler for me too, fitted it over 2 years ago and never had a problem with it 8)
we up we down we gone !!!
swamp donkey
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Gizzit » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:52 pm

I keep meaning to get one but aint got around to it yet. From all accounts, well worth it! I lube the chain every time I wash the bird at the moment but it would be nice not to have to bother.

Oh yea, welcome to the nut house matey :P nice to have another suvvener on board :rockon)
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:32 pm

Welcome to Ixxra

I use a scottoiler and it's great.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Thanks

Postby Big Gav » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:04 pm

Thanks guys for your welcome and comments though I am not so fat I just do not have many people pick an argument grab

So its Scotoiler for me then :)

Thanks Big Gav xx
Big Gav
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby BirdAddict » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:18 pm

I've put mine on the subframe so it doesn't take up any room under the seat and it also keeps it away from the heat from the engine.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:22 pm

jonah wrote:i have never had to adjust the chain in 4,000 miles

But the chain's as slack as a cows twat :D

Welcum dude :P I don't use a Scotoiler cuz I ain't a lazy bastid and I don't mind lubing the chain :roll) Some of the ones I've seen are crappy as hell and are tied on with cable ties - do you really wanna do that to your baby :banghead)

I'm a bit :? about yer Bird though :? You say it's a 2000 model on an 02 reg, but mines a 2001 model on a 51 reg - so how the fook does that work out :mrgreen:

And at 20 stone, there's no fookin wonder the tyres a flat in the middle :mrgreen: :D

Have fun dude but watch out fer that fat bastid SwamPIE - makes Simple Simon look intelligent :twisted)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Ladybird » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:30 pm

Welcome to the site dude ! Sorry I'm late in responding....however first thing I fitted to the Bird was the Scottoiler - 24,000 mile out of the chain, and I only have to remember to check on the oil level about once every month, so no hassle there. Takes a little while to get the flow rate sorted, just remember, hot weather turn it down a little, cool weather turn it back up. Stonking investment. Well happy Scottoiler customer 2nd time around...works as well on the Bird as it did on the Bandit and no fling if ya got ya flow right :wink)
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby swamp donkey » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:11 am

Taz :getthis) asshole :P your only saying that cos you think your safe till next summer :roll)
we up we down we gone !!!
swamp donkey
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn