How do you remove the fairings to do an oil change

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

How do you remove the fairings to do an oil change

Postby Hawk » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:12 pm

Help please. :cry)
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby BirdAddict » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:47 pm

Oil change can be done with it in place but is easier to remove a side panel.
I can do one for you if you're having problems.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hawk » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:13 pm

I will take you up on that then mate. Let me know what I'm to get and when and bobs yer father in law, I ain't going to Portugal though.

It was due its 8000 mile service, but it had 1 when I bought it, so I'm gonna do another oil + filter change and get it back onto track.

Is it easy to check the other bits that ladybird listed for me?

:oops)
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Gizzit » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:56 pm

Well worth getting a Haynes manual for your bird mate, very clear instructions for just about every job you should wish to do. I would be lost without mine :thumbsup)
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:14 pm

If you need help to get the fairing off I wouldnt bother with the rest of the service checks :roll) just ask BA nicely and I'm sure he'll show you. :wink)
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hawk » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:35 pm

I'm waiting for him to name the day.

I actually got me one of those discs with a manual on it, suppose I should've looked on there.

Silly arse. :roll)
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Ladybird » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:05 pm

Hawk - you need to send a letter to father christmas, for a Haynes manual, it's a really cool read....and lots of pic's too. You'll learn loads. Hell if you were nearby I'd come and do the oil change for yer's

:wink)
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby BirdAddict » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:38 pm

Hawk, how's about Saturday 11 October.
I've got a Hays manual you could Look at when needed.
Is your bird carbed ?. Is it just an oil change or would you like a mini service...either way no probs...let me know if the dat'e ok

Steve
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXAndy » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:37 am

Hey Ladybird, you can change my oil anytime :D :D :D :D :D
XXAndy

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:10 pm

XXAndy wrote:Hey Ladybird, you can change my oil anytime

Why not just change yer Bus and get a real bike instead :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby XXAndy » Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:25 pm

TazCBR1100XX wrote:

Ooohh, stop perlease, my sides are aching! :P
XXAndy

Postby BirdAddict » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:50 pm

XXAndy wrote:
TazCBR1100XX wrote:

Ooohh, stop perlease, my sides are aching! :P

It should be your fookin eyes that are aching...and maybe also your pride...

But we still luv ya, ya twat
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hawk » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:29 pm

B.A.

I'm getting broadband that day, what about you come around mine and do it, that way I can keep an eye on them at the same time?? is that out of the question, or would you rather do it around yours, they are scheduled for the A.M. but you know what A.M.'s are like for these companies.

Oh, if you do come round mine, what will ya need?

Yes a mini service would be good, but a service on the XX Bird would be bettererer.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:02 pm

Fargin ell Hawk - talk about exploitation :D Wanna :hump) his Mrs while he's doing the service for ya as well :mrgreen:

S'Pose I'd best keep quiet anyway, just in case Wobs gets similar ideas while he's fixing the pups Ped :oops)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby BirdAddict » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:10 pm

No probs for me to come round...that way I can keep my eye on your missus while you check out the cable guy...lol

I'll bring the tools to look after your missus, you provide the tools for the blackie ok.
What ever you need changing just get ok.
eg. Oil, filter, brakes, air filter, copper greese, wd 40 etc.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hawk » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:27 pm

Wot the fuggin hell is copper grease, they closed our local station so there's no old bill around here for miles, unless of course you've bin drinkin or speedin.

:P

I was informed that if I was changing brake pads I would need syntered pads?? is that true, coz I got quoted about £60 for them :D

How true is that?
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Gizzit » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:23 am

Hmmm... Interesting slant on copper grease. Less said about that to Taz the better me thinks :mrgreen:

The sort of copper grease you need is a special high heat anti-seize stuff. You put a smear on the back of the brake pads to stop the pads binding to the pistons on the brake caliper. Get a good quality copper grease though, some of the cheaper ones are rubbish. Molyslip do a good one, and there are others. I am sure BA will advise accordingly.

I guess 60 quid for the pads is about right, perhaps just a bit expensive, as you have to change all three sets of pads at the same time (cos the bird has got linked brakes). I payed £17.50 a set last time I changed mine on my old bird.

You don't have to use sintered pads, but the OE ones are sintered and for general use they are usually considered to be the best. I use EBC pads whenever I change mine. They are pretty good, but the genuine OE Honda pads are fine too. Definately not worth skimping on the pads. You can get chepaer ones but ya definately get what ya pay for!

Hope this helps.
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Hawk » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:14 am

I totally agree, must have good stoppers. especially 2 up and doing 70mph - ish on the track. :wink)

A cost of a service for one of these babies can quickly ,mount up by the sound of it.

£100 for brakes, oil, and filter mmm and a 2 bob tip to BA. I suppose when you look at the raving loney bike I'm riding the costs will be higher.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby XXAndy » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:31 pm

Gizzit wrote:I guess 60 quid for the pads is about right, perhaps just a bit expensive, as you have to change all three sets of pads at the same time (cos the bird has got linked brakes). I payed £17.50 a set last time I changed mine on my old bird.

Not true m'lud (stands back waiting for can of worms to open), you don't have to change all the pads at the same time. I would change the rear as one set and the fronts as another though.
The way the linked brakes work, they still allow automony(sp) (phew, big word for a Saturday morning), of the individual components.

In the 56,000 miles I did on my baby, I changed the pads to either the front or the rear but didnt change em if they didnt need it, only occasionally when all the pads happened to be worn out together were they changed as a 'job lot'.

Still if you surname is 'Rockafella', you change em as you see fit.

Incidently, go for the sintered pads I always used EBC HH and they were the mutts!
XXAndy

Postby Gizzit » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:48 pm

You pays yer money and takes yer choice on this one I guess.

I am always a bit over cautious when it come to brakes, as they are the only thing between me and the car/lorry/tree/wall in front of me. Therefore I go by the book. But it is up to the individual as to what they do. For the sake of another 20 quid or so, I would always change as a set.

Any other views?
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:38 pm

Don't think the book says anything about changing front and back at the same time. they wear at different rates anyway and as you should be checking the wear rate regularly doesnt matter if you change only front or rear at any one time.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:43 pm

Thats not from the service book, its the EBC recommended fitment for the bird. Although, I suppose they would want you to buy three sets rather than two! Like I said, pays yer money and takes your choice.
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:11 pm

I recently changed mine, and got some off Deano at about £45 for 3 sets of EBC HH. The original ones had done about 12k miles I suppose, and all three sets of pads had worn evenly, so I changed them all together. If they were still in good nick, I'd keep 'em on and I'd only change the ones which weren't in good nick. I'd change both sets on the front anyway to ensure even braking.
TazCBR1100XX

Postby numb bits » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:18 am

Shuggie changes them about every 1200 miles something to do with the hand brake he has on his xx wears them out quicker :banghead) :eek) :-) lol
numb bits

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:20 am

Hawk, at 8000 miles I'm not too sure you need replacement pads, just depends how you've been using them so give the pads a miss for now and i'll check them out for you and just give them a good clean out.
Also forget the copper grease as I have that.
As for doing the service outdoors subject to cold wind and rain...forget it.
You have 3 options, get yourself a garage, come over to mine after the cable guys have been 'round, or we can make it for Sunday.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn