Best place to buy headlight cover.

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Best place to buy headlight cover.

Postby Hawk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:38 pm

Any body know.
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:05 pm

95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Ladybird » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:34 pm

Just remember Hawk - stick it on well - I do seem to remember Robs lovely flourescent yellow headlight cover smashing into several pieces on our rideout around Snakepass earlier this year - or maybe it was his dodgy clutch control that was the cause of it dropping off :D
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

If anyone should.....

Postby Rolfy Dave » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:36 pm

find mine... a clear one... Lost somewhere in Wales around Newtown or Builth Wells... Please send it back...

God I miss it...lol

Best wishes to all,

Rolfy
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Ladybird » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:52 pm

Did you have a dodgy clutch on that day too Rolfy ? :D
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Hee hee hee !!!

Postby Rolfy Dave » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:06 pm

Ladybird wrote:Did you have a dodgy clutch on that day too Rolfy ? :D

Sorry to say, but NO....What we did was to go and do a bit of dirt tracking to get past some roadworks where they said the road was closed.......

But we proved em wrong...lol........

Had to dodge under the rear arm of a JCB digger, but it saved us doing about 12 miles to get 200 yards further up the road...

Did the same run 2 weeks later, and couldnt get through... Had to do the 12 miles... fookin good fun those 12 miles of singl track roads through the Welsh valleys... Must do it again...

Sometimes it pays to take the diversion...rofl

Best wishes,

Rolfy
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Hee hee hee !!!

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:55 pm

Rolfy Dave wrote:Sometimes it pays to take the diversion...rofl

Not if it's that fookin Yamaha Diversion which George Petch Wheels gave me while my Bird was being made poorly :banghead)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Hawk » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:45 am

What makes them come off then.

Thanks by the way for the link, I'm on it.
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bezzer » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:35 pm

Some are held on by thin velcro strips some by double sided sticky pads, the pads can soften with headlight heat, the velcro loosen from the wind blast. You can stick on extra pieces of either to make sure.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby numb bits » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:26 am

Yep iv'e used all six pieces on mine one at every point so far touch wood no bother at some good track speeds of course officer 170ish :roll) :P
numb bits

Postby Ladybird » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:27 am

Hawk as Bezzer says, they're held on by various velcro (heavy duty) products, and it can be heat from either the sun or the headlight that causes them to either slide off whilst stationery or on the move.

I've also seen one smashing as a result of very dodgy clutch control whilst out on a ride this year, when the front of the bike returned to earth with a bump it simply jumped off and smashed. However I don't know what kind of fastening was holding that one on.

The most recent ones I've seen are held on again by a clear velcro type product, but it's very heavy duty, and seems very very secure. So no worries there buddy, just make sure that when you get yours you check it occassionally.
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:33 am

I've used mine for nearly 8000 miles now. The're held on by 3 little squares of clear heavy duty velcro and as yet it hasn't budged. I always ride with the headlamp on and when it get a little darker the high beam aswell so I think the heat isn't a cause for them comming off. I can also boast plenty of high speeds and the ocassional jaunt caught out in the rain.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Deano » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:08 am

Do you use a clear headlight-cover BA or one of the coloured type ?????
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:11 am

I have a Dark Grey tint. Had to change the Light bulbs to the White Light which offer 50% more brightness whilst still using only 55 watts so no additional drainage of the battery and is all road legal.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXAndy » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:47 am

BirdAddict wrote:I have a Dark Grey tint. Had to change the Light bulbs to the White Light which offer 50% more brightness whilst still using only 55 watts so no additional drainage of the battery and is all road legal.

I thought anything other than clear was illegal??
XXAndy

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:49 am

The light bulbs are legal not the lense cover, Sorry didn't explain it properly. I've passed a few coppers but never been told to remove it.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

The law

Postby Deano » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:01 pm

Hmmmmmm

Illegal eh ???

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought all coloured headlight covers were actually LEGAL

Don't they only become ILLEGAL if you actually turn ya lights on therefor showing the colour as a coloured light which IS illegal.
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:59 pm

From what I've been told (MOT Centre) if you have a headlight fitted on your bike it has to show white light when asked to do so. I askesd about the yellow bulbs and they said they're a no go.

Have I been misinformed. I always ride with my headlight on as a rule.
Dont want to give those cage drivers any excuse for not paying out when one gets in the way as we all know they do...
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:36 pm

You're both right to a point, it is illegal to show other than a white light to the front (with a few exceptions). So at an MOT when you have to show the headlight is working it fails but you can use one on the road without the lights on but if you switch your light on then it is illegal. Coloured lenses are illegal if lit as they show the non white colour but literally a grey area are the tinted ones, they are not showing a non white light just a dim white light.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:21 pm

bezzer wrote:You're both right to a point, it is illegal to show other than a white light to the front (with a few exceptions). So at an MOT when you have to show the headlight is working it fails but you can use one on the road without the lights on but if you switch your light on then it is illegal. Coloured lenses are illegal if lit as they show the non white colour but literally a grey area are the tinted ones, they are not showing a non white light just a dim white light.

Spoken like a true x-Black Rat ! lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:49 pm

Hmmm... I wonder if there is a minimum brightness requirement.

There is a bloke that works accross the way from me who rides in to work on what I can only described as a track bike, ie no lights at the front at all, just a number. There is a very basic rear brake light but that is all. He said it was ok as long as he didn't ride it at night.

Same principal I suppose.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:07 am

Slightly different Gizzit, you can have a daytime only MOT where the bike doesnt have to have a headlight or tail light at all....but get caught at night or in bad visibility where you should be using the headlight and you're in the shit. You still need to have the brakelight though. If the bike has lights fitted they've got to work properly you cant just take one in with duff lights and ask for a daytime MOT.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to The Whippit Inn