Winter Project ideas wanted

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Winter Project ideas wanted

Postby bezzer » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:55 pm

It's getting to that time of year when I pick and choose when I ride, the cold doesn't bother me but I'm lucky that I can choose not to ride in the freezing wet weather.
Sooo... I dont want to get bored on shitty days and need a few ideas that will keep me and the lathe occupied in THE SHED out of SWMBO's way.
So far I'm experimenting with bar ends, made some in brass and also in alloy, got somebody trying the alloy ones out to see if they are any good or not heavy enough and affect vibration then I'll have to think about stainless instead. Also trying out various ideas for frame fasteners and will have to see how they come on or not as the case maybe.

Anyone any suggestions as to what else I could make/ replace on the bike?, I want to get as many pooftah brass things as I can :roll) . Good taste doesnt concern me :P I can live with it as it's my bike but you never know there might be something that others like and want (in alloy or course.)
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:18 pm

Nearly forgot, saw posts some time ago about pillions complaining about the forward bungee point digging into the inside of their legs because of its positioning, whether it was that or it was Taz and they didnt notice him is up for debate. :twisted)

The bungee point is 8mm thread so a fairing pin wouldnt fit (6mm thread) and an ordinary 8mm bolt or whatever wouldn't look right.
Done a bit of experimenting and managed to do an 8mm external thread with 6mm internal one to use as an adaptor so a standard fairing pin can be used and look factory instead of an eyesore add on.

If anyone is getting nagged because of this let me know and I'll do you a pair of adaptors...Cost?...Nowt, just send me a stamped addressed envelope. You will however have to buy a couple of the larger headed fairing pins from a dealer (couple of pounds each I think) to use with them and run a 10mm drill through the existing black bungee spacer so it will clear the fairing pin. No damage or alteration to the bike you can replace the bungee point whenever you want.
Wont be doing them until after next weekend when I go to the Stafford Classic Mechanics Show and stock up on metal.
Last edited by bezzer on Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:24 pm

Saw some crash mushrooms somewhere or other for the xx Bez that were machined out of alloy / steel, that looked similar to the fairing fasteners, but only bigger :thumbsup) Looked fookin' ace !
What do you reckon mate :?
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:37 pm

Have me doubts about 'shrooms fitted to the fairing bolt holes being able to do a lot other than on a no speed drop....but thats what most of them are anyway including my own :oops) , any speed and a lot of other damage is caused as well so I dont suppose it matters.
I'll have a go BH, you mean they've got the 6 holes like the fairing bolts?
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:09 am

A unique "worthy of the Bird" Tax Disc holder could be quite nice
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:23 am

Well, there's a Peugeot Speedfight 2 in my garage belonging to one unhappy pup which could do with some TLC and lots of cash spending on it, so how about some stainless steel panels to replace these fookin useless plastic shite things Peugeot put out - and it'll slow him down with all that extra weight :D

The bar ends seems a good idea, and so does a tax disc holder - dunno how you'd make one of them on a lathe though :?
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Gizzit » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:14 pm

How about some bar raisers Bezzer?

The kind of thing I am thinking of is like a collar that would fit between the yoke and the bars with a lug at the bottom and a cut out at the top to take the lug on the bars, so if by some stroke of bad luck the bar clamp did work loose, the bar would not move too much, if ya see what I mean.

Could be made in different sizes to suit higher or lower position. Dont know how easy that would be to fabricate on a lathe though :(

Also, a cap to fit on top so if it rained it would not fill with water and would look neater :mrgreen:
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby rob_1961 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:23 pm

il have some of them adapters mate cos wife plays fook about her legs hurting cheers mate
Now on a busa
rob_1961
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby numb bits » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:52 pm

My wife doesn't, she usually has them under my arm pits lol
numb bits

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:32 pm

My wife usually has hers around my back except when she's face down in the pillow :D :hump) Yee haaaaaaa! :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Gizzit » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:54 pm

I heard you were a fookin slow rider dude, but to put the missis to sleep :roll) , still at least yer considerate enough to give her a pillow :mrgreen:
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ladybird » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:30 am

Bezzer how about the top yoke nut?
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby FAF » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:50 pm

How about getting a distillary going perhaps brew some VODKA :D :D
FAF
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jonah » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:44 pm

rob_1961 wrote:il have some of them adapters mate cos wife plays fook about her legs hurting cheers mate

i would like some adaptors i have just put a stainless bolt in but doesnt look that good
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Gizzit » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:23 pm

Spooky or what, just the type of thing I was thinking of above is for sale on E-bay!

Gunna drop the bloke a mail as he says he may be able to get more supplies.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=9946
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:59 pm

Very nice but a bit on the expensive side
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:21 pm

Gizzit have a closer look at it, its not actually a bar raiser its just an aluminium spacer that just slides over the fork leg to cover the gap between the yoke and the handlebar, Its not clamped to the fork and you have to raise your forks through the yoke to be able to fit it losing ground clearance at the front though he's saying its compensated by raising the rear.
Bar raisers clamp to the fork leg leaving them in their normal position.
And to quote BA fookin expensive.
Last edited by bezzer on Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:40 pm

Yea, see what ya mean, it would be better if they clamped to the forks, also don't fancy the idea of droping the yoke. I could do with something about half the height, just enough to raise the bars to a comfortable level without having to dick about with the geomatry.

I have dropped the guy a mail to see if they come in different sizes. I guess there would be an issue regarding the lugs if the collar was shorter though, still, no harm in asking.

Don't agree about the expensive bit though when compared to other products of a similar function. The Genmar risers are over £100.00 for the Blackbird! Also, they don't look as good.

http://www.blue-job.co.uk/Genmar/range.htm
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:10 pm

Good info there Bezzer, Lets see if I get it...You have to lower the yoks, so, If you did that without the spacer but made sure the bolts holding the handlebars where done up real tight so not to move, the spacer isn't realy needed. And this hasn't actually raised the height but in fact lowered it thus putting even more pressure on the wrists and reduced ground clearence.??
And who knows @ what cost as the reserve has not been met and the price is already £55-
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby darkangel » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:33 pm

Thats right BA! it does work but the extra perssure on the wrists is a pain in the :? well "wrists"! its only good for track work! when yer only on the bike for short spurts!(another reference to the spinnin one!) ha ha ha !

Back in da SMOKE!!!! DOH!!!!
darkangel
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby bezzer » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:39 pm

Have you already tried raising your bars so they are at the top of the fork tube? You only have to remove the circlip and at that height the tip of the locating lug is still just in the slot. Others have raised them a bit higher than that so the lug is clear of the slot and had no problems.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:03 pm

Yea, I have done that and it is much better. The only thing that bothers me slightly is the fact that there is nothing stoping the bar from spinning if the bolt should work loose. I havn't had any problems with it as it is but, y'know, crosses the old mind from time to time :oops)
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:03 am

Think I'll put that onto my list of winter updates for the Bird, One thing's for sure, if I'm taking the circlip off there's going to be plenty of lock-tight on the bolts when they go back in ...just in case.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:26 pm

bezzer wrote:I'll have a go BH, you mean they've got the 6 holes like the fairing bolts?

Yup - Me thinks would look very 8) Bez !
Keep me posted - I'll be your Beta tester if u want big boy ! :eyebrows) lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:48 pm

OK I'll be having a go BH, just got a bit of a delay at the mo though. Since starting this thread I've had "permission" for a bigger shed :mrgreen: , got rid of No 2 shed, done the concrete base and just waiting for the new one to be made and delivered so current No 1 shed/workshop is full of junk from both. Be a week or two before I'm up and running again, she agreed too readily, still wondering what price I've got to pay :roll)
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn