Speeding question

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Speeding question

Postby Gizzit » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:21 pm

OK, here's the thing. Apparently, as Deano pointed out the other day (and a number of other sources) the new SPECS cameras on the M4, and presumably other places, are set at 78 mph.

I have heard from a very reliable source (ex plod) that you will only get booked if your speed exceeds the speed limit + 20%. This would mean that you should be ok up to 84 mph.

So, where would you stand legally if you did receive a ticket for speeds of between 78 and 84 mph, or is this info duff?

Anyone in the know on this?

Cheers, Gizzit.
Last edited by Gizzit on Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:22 pm

I would have thought that anything over the maximum limit could be regarded as speeding. Also different areas have different criteria I think. A friend of mine was travelling down from Newcastle on the A1 and got booked for doing 84. He was told that if he had been doing a little bit less he would have just got a telling off. Conversely, a friend of mine who lives darn sarf says a plod mate of his told him that he would be OK upto about 85. I have a book of Law which states that in general if you are doing upto 5mph above the limit it is unlikely that you will be prosecuted as it could be argued that you didn't know you were speeding, but if you were doing between 5mph and 10mph above the limit it is highly likely that you did know you were speeding and may be fined and have your licence endorsed. More than 10mph above the limit and you certainly DO know you were speeding so it's a fine + points for sure. I suppose the easy answer is to do what all xx riders do, and stick rigidly to the speed limits :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby XXAndy » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:08 pm

Dead simple this one.....its up to the individual officer, however they do have guide lines, which vary from force to force, but as a rule of thumb you are ok at 10% + 2mph, ie. 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40 up to 79 in a 70. Simple. If you get booked doing less than 10% over, plead ignorence/stupidity etc. as the 'no tolerence' policy run by some forces ie 0% above the limit, has run into problems because, as we all know, speedos vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle, so plod HAS to make some allowence or the courts chuck em out.
I do however remember these words of wisdom from a kindly bobby who let me off (in the car) for doing well over the triple figures (it was on a motor way & there was fook all traffic about).........

" Just remember, its a 'speed limit' not a fooking target"

Darn all this time I thought those signs were just taunting me :D 8)
XXAndy

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:17 pm

simple...don't speed, don't get caught, dont pay...choose to make your own speed limit above the one set by the law, then speed, get caught, pay your moneys and take it on the chin like a man.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Demontat » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:58 pm

BirdAddict wrote: take it on the chin like a man

Don't you mean "like a woman"? Or are you coming out of the closet?? :P :D If I take it on the chin its cuz I got distracted and totally messed up my aim... :oops)

As for speeding, I strictly stay to the 5mph rule... anything more than 5mph over is likely to get you a ticket, especially if you get pulled by the State Patrol. Other than that I scope out the areas, often very rural, that dont get patrolled much or at all, and thats where I hit warp-factor... beyond that I will admit that it took the Bird for me to "truly" respect how risky it is to twist the throttle with so many police around. Personally I blame the attention on the squids ruining bikers reputations, the police see no difference between a weekend plastic-jockey with his tank top and shorts and a responsible, refined, experienced XX rider... with dashing good looks!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Hawk » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:12 pm

I just want to explain to you guys that the M4 cameras are a hoax, its being bandied around that they are specs cameras but they are only monitoring the traffic to show which messages should be shown on the boards, this SPECS warning has been doing the rounds on the Hornets nest and the FOCU, and is generally known as a hoax.

There are how-ever other SPECS in use in other parts of the world, but do you know of anybody ACTUALLY GETTING A FINE--ACTUALLY IN PERSON, not the urban myth person, friend of an auntie.

If I'm wrong then I apologise but we've had these thoughts days ago.
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Gizzit » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:16 pm

Interesting you should say that Hawk, because the cameras mounted on top of the signs do not look anything like the SPECS cameras I have seen pictures of on the net. They just look like the normal grey CCTV type cameras used all over the motorway network.

Having said that though, as you leave Reading services, heading West, there is a sign just before you get to the motorway informing motorists about new number plate recognition detection being carried out on the M4.

In addition to that, I have a mate who works at the police HQ in Kiddlington, this is the station that monitors that secion of the M4. He forwarded an e-mail to me about the SPECS on the M4. Parhaps they are as much a victim of hoaxes at the rest of us though. But my mate did say that the Thames Valley police have recently invested a lot of money in number plate recognition software.

Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see where this goes.

Cheers, Gizzit.
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:52 pm

The ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras are all over the place most forces even have them fitted to patrol cars and other vehicles they automatically scan your number then cross check it with PNC/DVLA records and any vehicle that's a target ie has a computer marker - used in crime, disq driver, stolen, no tax, no insurance etc etc is flagged up.
It only takes one camera to do this, when you have more than one on a section of road then there's a good chance its also connected to SPECS to identify then measure each vehicle between the two points.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:36 am

XXAndy wrote:" Just remember, its a 'speed limit' not a fooking target"

Well said mate ! :thumbsup)
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby bezzer » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:41 am

And just to confirm that they are NOT SPECS cameras on the M4
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:48 am

Thanks Bezzer, thats cleared that one up :thumbsup)
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to The Whippit Inn