Hard or Soft Luggage

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Hard or Soft Luggage

Postby Fat-But-Fast » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:36 pm

I'm looking to take the bike abroad next year for the first time, but I am unsure what luggage to use. What do others recommend? Should I go for the hard permenant luggage or the soft type :?
It would be good to hear about your experiences with each type.
Cool is ma' middle name
Fat-But-Fast
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby swamp donkey » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:44 pm

hi FBF i use a givi monorack and top box with soft panniers and tank bag thats good enough for me
we up we down we gone !!!
swamp donkey
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Gizzit » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:58 pm

If dosh isn't the issue, definately go for hard luggage. Soft luggage is a pain in the arse. you can't 'lock' it to the bike so when you stop at services for a break or whatever you are contantly thinking about it, it takes too long to put on and remove, aint waterproof no matter what you do to it (in a big downpour) and is a bugger to get strapped to the bike safely & securly without doing some damage to the machine.

I use a kappa wingrack with kappa side boxes and a Givi 48 litre top box. It locks to the bike so is reasonably secure, totally waterproof, a cinch to get on and off and provided you are careful fixing the rack on, wont damage the bike, and does not flap about at speed (although you wouldn't do the same sort of speed loaded up as normal)

Take a look at http://www.phoenixnw.co.uk/kappa.html they have everything you need for your bike, similar quality to Givi (made in the same factory) at much keener prices. Or, you may be able to get what you need from e-bay. Phoenix don't sell the kit directly but you can see what you want from there and order from a reseller. I always use Harpers http://www.harpersraceshop.co.uk/ and they have never let me down to date.

There is a blackbird givi fitting kit on ebay at the moment which will fit both kappa and givi wingracks http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2441296453&category=10460 and the wingracks come up on ebay quite often. I would personally go for new boxes. They always seem to go for silly money second hand on ebay.

Hope this helps, Cheers :thumbsup)
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:04 pm

I have soft luggage and can't say I've encounted any difficulties in the past except for 1 storm cover which ripped itself to bits.
If you should go for the soft type I would recomend that magic web rubber to stop it from shifting and also keeping it off the paintwork.

I also use a tankbag.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:15 pm

hiya FBF
ive just replied to your post in the pit lane section
i went to spain last year for just under 3 weeks with brand spankers soft oxford luggage
despite a lot of peeps slagging off hard luggage ive just bought a set of non-fango panniers and a top box
as per the previous post, the soft luggage was a real pain to get on and off the bike, it got soaked through when it rained..and believe me when it rains abroad you dont get a chance to put covers and stuff on..it really does come down hard and fast!
i used a rubber blanket between the luggage and the paintwork etc that is supposed to stop damage to the bike..DONT work, couple of hundred miles or so of vibration rubbing shifting about etc does damage the bike IMO
you have to keep an eye on the bike when your having lunch and just hope noone nicks anything off it
the only soft luggage id personaly use alongside hard ones is a tank bag to keep all me papers cameras maps etc for the trip
the last thing you want after a hard days riding is to have to undo all the clips and bunjees and lug all the gear off to the hotel room
monokey hard luggae...flick of the key and hey presto mini suitcases in hand..job done
have a look at the non-fango racks as they are less clumbersum than givi and the top box sits much lower to the bike
if the rack does bother you just take it off until you want to go on a long trip
the non-fango can be taken off the bike in about 30 mins leaving only 3 small fixing brackets attached
waffle over :roll)
Last edited by REEFER on Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jonah » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:19 pm

i use hard luggage the soft ones used to leak terrible even with the storm covers on
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby darkangel » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:01 pm

The first thing i did when i bought my bird was to sell ALL of the hard luggage! it was top notch gear but it didnt suit to my ridding style! (still ride like a dispatch rider!) took 3wing mirrors off in less than 2 miles! OOPS! but i have the soft Oxford tail pack& tank bag which up until now has been fine for me! (even the long trip from london to Poland!) i have to say that it realy deppends on yer riding style&your own personal needs! if yer carry a passenger a lot when out & about hard top box has gotta be the best! not sure about side boxes though!the tail pack is a PAIN in the ass to put on & off but it suits me for now! next year? who knows! Really the only way to find what suits yer best is to "suck it& see" if yer dont mind takin a "loss" on resale of the hard ones! each to his own i think!

Back in da SMOKE!!!! DOH!!!!
darkangel
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

thank you 4 the reponse so far.

Postby Fat-But-Fast » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:12 pm

But why do people slag off the hard luggage Reefer?

Angel- how does the hard luggage effect riding style then?
Cool is ma' middle name
Fat-But-Fast
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby darkangel » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:35 pm

FbF! if yer check out my riddin style on the picture in the album yer will see what i mean! not everyone rides like this but for sure if the boxes were on there they would be ground away on the road!not only that but my riddin style is more Sport orientated & its difficult to do that with the side boxes on (weight distribution& all that) but as i said "each to their own" i know the rest of the guys dont ride the same as me! Not everyone out there has a "deathwish" but thats just me! im fast but only when conditions& weather allow this! but being EX dispatch makes me wanna race everyone away from every set of lights! (on the back wheel!) but dont get me wrong, i can be just as sedate as the rest when needs be! 8) the bird is a TOOL for this ! fast when yer want but a gentle BEAST also! ride safe young man!

Back in da SMOKE!!!! DOH!!!!
darkangel
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Gizzit » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:40 pm

:stupid) Gotta agree with Demon, luggage is not good for getting the ol knee down, but they are easy to take off. The boxes un-clip in seconds and the rack can be removed (if required) in about 20 mins. I only put my rack on when I need to. (mind you, I've yet to get me knee down or me front wheel more than a couple of inches above terra firma :oops) )
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Captain » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:38 pm

Wheels and knees, you and me both Gizz :roll) :oops) (All tips for either GREATLY received - but wont be practiced until weather gets warmer, ergo roads more grippy))
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby bezzer » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:59 pm

F-B-F some people just take the piss out of hard luggage because it limits the heroic knee down boy racer rider and turns the bird into a tourer, but thats what it was built for and what it does best. If you are touring you might as well take everything you need safely and securely. Nothing to stop you unclipping the boxes at your destination, the best is example is Wobbly's Euro trip this year, go there loaded up with luggage and passenger, take it off and do the Nurbergring, load it up with all the duty free and come back.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Trident » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:21 pm

Got a three box Nonfango set on the XX and would agree with all the comments about security etc. in favour of the hard luggage option. The Nonfango rack is a bit less obtrusive than the Givi Wingrack but it's a matter of choice.

The Nonfango system uses three fixings on each side, the middle one on the right fouls with the voltage regulator on the later model 'birds though. I've simply not fitted this bracket and had no problems with flexing etc.

The boxes are all completely waterproof and can be removed in seconds. The rack is a little more awkward to remove as the lock nuts inside the rear cowl are a pig to get at (if you fit them) and the stock indicators need to be replaced if you use the side boxes with either very stubby units or rack mounted items. The Nonfango rack mounted indicators look good but come with 5W bulbs which are no good as they need to be at least 10W to allow the indicator relay flash at a sensible speed.
Trident
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Grippy » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:25 pm

Captain wrote: ... wont be practiced until weather gets warmer, ergo roads more grippy

Did you mean "ergo more road for Grippy!" :-) Thanks mate cos I'll be riding mine all through the winter and the more road I can have, the better. :)

I use full Givi kit - Wingrack, E41 panniers and E52 top box with lighting kit. Have to think about the width of the system when travelling through traffic but that's probably pretty much the same with soft panniers when they're full.

The indicators for the Wingrack have the wrong electrical terminals - I cut the ones from the original BB indcators and soldered them to the Givi wires. The wires for the brake light need to be spliced into the loom under the seat.
Never break the speed limit - set your own and adjust upwards if necessary
Grippy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Demontat » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:02 pm

I use Bagster tank bag and Whoppa bag on the rear. This setup actually complements the lines of my Bird, if I have to carry a lot of gear. No problems with the rain and bikes dont get ripped off here where I live. 8)
Trespass sweet the urge, give me my sin again.

Demontat
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn