Bike plans

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Bike plans

Postby bezzer » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:46 pm

No I'm not "planning" on getting another bike, or rather I am but a model one. I want to have a go at making a model probably around 1/5th scale from scratch in metal. Decided I'd like to have a go making the original Jap superbike the CB750. Going to have to get a lot of info and detail before I start, I have found an actual bike on sale round here at a shop but can't measure everything at once and they wont let me strip it down so I can get to the frame the miserable bastards :( and it could be sold anytime soon. :cry)
Trawled the web and found various stuff but what I'm really after are some kind of plans (besides microfiche) or stripped down piccies, anyone ever seen anything similar on their travels on the big wide web or any other ideas that could help me please?
Thank you in anticipation of the abusive comments I will no doubt get but it aint as sad making a Tamiya plastic model.... I did that last year :dunce)
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:56 pm

Might be a silly suggestion (stands by for more flack) but could you not use a plastic model kit as a pattern? After all, they will have already done the reserch for ya :D

Just a thought :oops)
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:31 am

Thought of that, but I'm not sure it would be to true scale and throw everything out when I scaled it up as it would be smaller than the one I plan. Will be worth getting a model though to use as a 3D reference but I don't think I would rely on it cheers dude.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Grippy » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:02 pm

Might be a good idea though.

When I was in the RAF, 'Airfix' used to come and measure every detail of whatever aircraft they were going to produce so that it was as accurate as possible.
Never break the speed limit - set your own and adjust upwards if necessary
Grippy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Captain » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:47 pm

Same thing here in the navy (No Village People quips please), only we then have to go to sea in them as they are cheaper than the originals - Strategic Defence Review and cost cutting to the extreme :roll)
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:51 pm

Aint changed much since I was in the mob then cap'n. Fookin things were held together with grey paint and maskers :roll)
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Captain » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:15 pm

You got it, what would we do without Harry Black Maskers?
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Return to The Whippit Inn