New Shed and bling

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

New Shed and bling

Postby bezzer » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:47 pm

Got me new shed fully up and running now, all mod cons including heater, escape for hours now, just need the milling machine to arrive and the skys the limit 8)

Been experimenting with pooftah bits- screen screws, bar ends, shrooms, bungee points and of course the frame plugs what you think :?
:thumbsup) or :thumbsdown)

Not that I'm really bothered as I like them :wink)

Last edited by bezzer on Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Ladybird » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:58 pm

Brass bar ends I can highly recommend, I have had a set to trial now for approx. 6 weeks. Absolutely top quality. No vibes and do look the Dogs Goulashes. (sorry for incorrect spelling). Upkeep real easy, give 'em a rub.

Wicked shed Bez' me dear - looks like a factory and can you make me a set of them 'shrooms

"Dear Santa (Deano) can I have a set of them there nice, loverrrrly 'shrooms for Chrimmy? Please, go on..."
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:13 pm

I like brass cuz it's lovely to polish and looks really nice - but not on my Silver Bird unfortunately - looks good against the Black though :thumbsup) Perhaps you'd like to make me some solid Silver ones fer me Bird then :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Gizzit » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:32 pm

Yes please, yes please, yes please and err.... oh yes...yes please :mrgreen:
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shed

Postby Grey Wolf » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:05 am

Greetings Beezer
I'm Phookin realy jealous :mrgreen: RE; your shed/workshop
I've got to make do with a bastid workbench with a drill jammed between
the jaws.

But really it looks the Biz 8)
Del

"Speeding" not me officer I just sit on it
Grey Wolf
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby bezzer » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:11 am

Had a go with polished alloy as well. Bar ends in plain ally are too light and caused too much vibration cracked it by drilling loads of holes in the underside and filling them full of lead solder, still not quite as heavy as OE or brass but have been tested backk to back with the plain and the OE seem to be heavy enough as they do kill the vibes.

also shrooms

95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:24 am

How easy would it be to do the same in stainless Bezzer? Would you get a problem with heat/case hardening?
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:47 am

Stainless getting a bit beyond me little lathe dude, there's a bit of work in them and it would take forever with only doing very light cuts.....but you can buy the stainless Honda stepped type bar ends around £19-20 from various places. The alloy ones you can get plain or anodised but thats a rip off as they are just plain alloy and don't kill the vibes.
As for the shrooms, no chance with the drilling and turning involved that would have to wait until I got a bigger lathe with a decent coolant system mines just a cobbled up one at the mo but it does me for alloy and brass.

SOOO :finger)
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Chrixx » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:01 am

Very nice setup Bezzer, 8) I just receved "permission" from the Boss ('er indoors) to lashout on a Chester Lathe/Mill combi.

The biggest job will be clearing 25 years accumulated JUNK out of the garage.

Like many people, particularly bikers, every time I have a go at dumping stuff, I end up putting most of it back. "It might be useful one day, you know." :banghead)

The new lathe is the real incentive to do it properly.

She is a good Boss, as she bought me a nice 60 litre tank air compressor a couple of Christmas' ago.
Chrixx
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby bezzer » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:07 pm

Nice one Chrixx, be sure to find things to do round the house for SWMBO as well, makes them happy and you can then start adding other "indispensable" tools. Mine wasnt impressed with some brass curtain tie backs she bought as they were too big, cut them down on the lathe "it was a very close call dear at the lathes limit" so now I have permission to upgrade :twisted)
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:34 pm

NO NO NO lads - yer doing it all wrong. Go to Asda and spend £2.30 on a bottle of cheap wine, chill it in the fridge, serve by the LARGE glassful, and as the end of the bottle draws nigh, just hit her with 'I bought this lathe today - it was a real bargain at £750 cuz they're normally £950'

Job done :clap:

When I went to buy the Bird, I didn't even spend £2.30 on a bottle of wine, and I didn't tell her I was buying it - but that's mainly cuz I didn't know I was buying it myself until I saw it :D I just told her I got rid of that fugly Pan she hated and bought something a little sexier :mrgreen:

Job done - sortid :clap:

:mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Grippy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:01 pm

Looks great Bezzer - :thumbsup) to everything exept the screen screws.

Have you tried phosphor bronze? Its a bit harder than brass to machine but it polishes to up look like gold.
Never break the speed limit - set your own and adjust upwards if necessary
Grippy
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby bezzer » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:43 pm

Know what you mean about the screen screws, a bit too chunky but that's first attempt be experimenting a bit more with them. Haven't bothered with Phospor Bronze its not as easy to get it at a reasonable price in the various sizes I want, usually see just odd offcuts at the autojumbles and suchlike. Should have some similar gunmetal soon though when me mate gets his finger out and I was going to try that. I find brass does gives a nice gold colour anyway as it ages between polishing going to try and catch it at the right shade and laquer it to keep it that way.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby fodie13 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:30 am

NICE setup Bezzer. :D I'm jealous :-) Gotta get one.

slick parts too. I REALLY like the 'shrooms and bar ends.

Got a question on the frame plugs. How do you install them, and how do you remove them? Got any closeup pics of them?
fodie13
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Chrixx » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:11 am

Taz, it seems that you must have met my missis, the wine and all that, or are they all the same?

In 1984 I bought a GL 1000, 1977, from my company, where it had beem acquired to pull demonstration trailers full of rescue gear. It cost only 300 squids. I intended to smarten it up and sell at a good profit, the proceeds to upgrade the kitchen and BUY A LATHE. She liked the bike too much and I still have it now!! She has a 1955 Velocette LE 200cc, the concept and configuration of the LE preceded the GL.
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby bezzer » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:24 am

Fodie they're held with O rings so they just push in, can be pulled out if need be without damaging them or the frame.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jonah » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:26 pm

bezzer wrote:Stainless getting a bit beyond me little lathe dude, there's a bit of work in them and it would take forever with only doing very light cuts.....but you can buy the stainless Honda stepped type bar ends around £19-20 from various places. The alloy ones you can get plain or anodised but thats a rip off as they are just plain alloy and don't kill the vibes.
As for the shrooms, no chance with the drilling and turning involved that would have to wait until I got a bigger lathe with a decent coolant system mines just a cobbled up one at the mo but it does me for alloy and brass.

SOOO :finger)

give me first chance of your lathe if you decide to upgrade
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bezzer » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:59 pm

Won't be getting rid when I upgrade Jonah, it'll always come in handy as back-up. If you're after one I got it from Machine Mart but should have gone to Chester they do the exact same one rebadged and cheaper at £380, need to add a tailstock chuck and a 4 jaw chuck though and it'll do most jobs. http://chesteruk.net/Conquest%20Lathe%20Specification.htm
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby rob_1961 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:41 pm

Oi mate i work for avesta polarit in sheffield the largest stainless steel company in europe if ya want some stainless steel let me no . I can get 25 ton slabs , 5 ton blooms 1.5 ton billetts or just small bits about 6in sq any length depending what my car will carry :mrgreen:
Now on a busa
rob_1961
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:21 pm

Looks like Bezzer will be making Taz some nice stainless steel bar ends and stuff for crimbo then :mrgreen: Go on then Bezzer - I'll be your beta tester :P I knew you'd come in useful at some point Rob - you ain't got a decent lathe you can lend Bezzer to do my bar ends have ya :D

OK, here's the deal - if between you two I get some nice stainless stuff for the Bird, I promise not to tell people in the street that we know each other :)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby bezzer » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:55 pm

Bolloxx Rob, what a shame :bigcry: , 6" square is too big for me to work with on my lathe 3" bar is about my limit you'll have to transfer to an ally or brass firm. You said you were getting some bits for the bike over winter, you getting things done in that stuff?
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jonah » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:47 pm

bezzer wrote:Won't be getting rid when I upgrade Jonah, it'll always come in handy as back-up. If you're after one I got it from Machine Mart but should have gone to Chester they do the exact same one rebadged and cheaper at £380, need to add a tailstock chuck and a 4 jaw chuck though and it'll do most jobs. http://chesteruk.net/Conquest%20Lathe%20Specification.htm

took your advice went for the 920 model cheers
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby bezzer » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:18 pm

Nice one Johah, for a bit of practice to break it in you can start by making the 'shrooms :wink)
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby numb bits » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:36 am

Bugga and to think i deliver alloy ingots daily 25 tonne of it.
Hmmm maybe a little side line methinks or a perk of the job,a nice little earner,god i could be a millionaire within a couple of years(not) lol :banghead)
numb bits

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn