XX with High Kilometres/Miles?

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

XX with High Kilometres/Miles?

Postby Rhys » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:59 am

I am thinking of purchasing a XX with 75,000 kilometres (45,000 miles). Should I be concerned with this about of kilometres… should I? Are the XX’s able to do high miles without trouble? What should I look out for when inspecting the bike?
Rhys
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby jonah » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:22 am

NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT MATE THEY JUST KEEP GOING
jonah
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Ladybird » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:40 am

Rhys

I can only speak on personal terms here. I currently run a Bird with just over 35,000 mile on the clock. In my honest opinion she runs sweeter now than she did when I picked her up with 6,500 on the clock.

I certainly however would be looking for a service history. Are you buying this bike on a private sale or via a dealer. Reason is you're coming up to a major service at 48,000. If its a dealer get 'em to do it for you as part of the sale.

Also ask whoevers selling it monoshock information has it ever been replaced, cos' if it ain't then it's probably well gone by now. It's certainly probably one of the things I'll be looking at in the near future. Fork servicing should be done about every 19/20K. Check chain/sprockets, always nice costly things to replace and you don't want it falling out of your pocket. Oh and of course tyres...what's it running on? Are they nearing the end of their life?

The one thing about the XX engine is it a solid piece of technology that stands the wear and tear very, very well indeed. Certainly there are much higher mileage Blackbirds around than the one you're looking at.

How old is the bike?
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby Gizzit » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:22 am

I wouldn't worry too much as they tend to service the bikes regularly. A mechanic I know has seen one Blackbird with close to a million miles (honest) on it. It was owned by a dispatch rider. Although I dont know what had been changed on it during this time, I do know that the engine was the original.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BirdAddict » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:08 pm

First off...Welcome to the club.
Great choice of bike and as the others have said it's virtually indestructable. The big issue isn't the miles covered but how they where covered. A track day or two won't kill your bird (unless you have an off) but a life of trackdays is different. Under normal riding conditions 45000 miles on such a smooth potent bike is nothing to be afraid off so long as the servicing has been done on a regular basis.
Also get a HPI check...well worth the money as it's easy to get new panels onto a bike to make it look like new and this will cover a bent or damaged frame .
Other than that...what're you waiting for...get the bike .. you know you want to :D
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXAndy » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:54 pm

No problems there, mine had 56000 miles on before some twat sent me skidding down the tarmac. :bigcry:
I would look for/check a couple of things like LB mentioned:
Rear shock
Front fork oil
Chain & sprockets
Front & rear wheel bushes
And a FULL service history is a must, oh and welcome to the site. :D
XXAndy

Postby Rhys » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:10 am

Rhys
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to The Whippit Inn