Techiebod wanted.....

The place for general posts and queries. Jump in - grab a beer and chill out with your buddies!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Techiebod wanted.....

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:33 pm

The fookin drive belt on the pups ped snapped on Monday. So I got a new belt at a fookin huge cost of £17.99. Problem is, you need a fookin special tool to take the fookin Variator Centre Nut off and I'm fooked if I'm paying Peugeot about £40 for one. So, anyone fancy making one for me? It looks like two pieces of flat metal bolted together with another piece welded to it to form two teeth a bit like a snakes tongue. The tool bolts to two screw holes on the crankcase so that the two teeth hold the Variator still by fitting between the teeth on the variator cog - does that sound sensible :? So, if you fancy having a go, let me know and I'll take some pics and measurements. I'm also open to suggestions other than 'Take it to the bike shop' cuz it's too fookin far to push a ped.

If you do offer though, I'd like it done quick, so if you can't deliver, please don't offer :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Marxx » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:57 pm

Hello Taz,

Send me some pics and measurements and i will get it made at work for you F.O.C.
No probs

Mark
It's not the speed that kill's it's the sudden stop!!
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby BirdAddict » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:57 pm

£17.99 what a find, I paid 73 quid for the same thing from Mr.fookin rip-off Suzi.
I just opened the rear cog thingy becayse it works as a type of pully and the more you open it the deeper the belt can fit in, Then I just stretched it over the front one, but I'd probably do it the right way next time and not the cowboy way.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:30 pm

Can't stretch it over BA cuz there's the fookin kickstart spline thingy stuck in the fookin way so I can't squeeze past the fookin thing. I managed to hold on to the bastoid thing by pulling the kick start spline out until it engaged the variator, then using an oil filter wrench around the whole log, but the fookin nut rounded off when I tried to undo it. Fookin bastid fookin bastid fookin French fookin pile of fookin shite :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead)

Mark - I'll mail ya some info n pics n stuff and see if we can't get a decent fit so I can use both hands to get the fooker off :D I'll mail ya from work tomorrow (Friday) - than xx - and it will defo be a FULL pie for ya if ya make it up here in August :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Bristle Hound » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:06 am

Taz - When I de-restricted my lads Scooter, I had the same problem getting the variator nut off
His was a Yamaha Aerox (Same as MBK Nitro) which uses Italian Minnarelli engine
I balanced a flat bladed screwdriver on a block of wood so the castlelated (?) nut didn't move, getting my son to hold the screwdriver
Then with the correct socket on a sliding T bar, wacked the sliding T bar with a hammer & hey presto the nut came loose
Then it was easy to remove all the variator shite !
Even changed the clutch rollers to speed up acceleration :P

Refitting is a reversal of removing ! :thumbsup)

Bit 'heath robinson' I know, but it worked & I didn't even round the nut off :wink)

Fookin' thing used to go off the clock, over 60 mph even with my stealth like figure on it ! :powerofspeed) :jester)
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:18 am

This isn't quite the same BH, and like I said - I already rounded the bastid nut :bigcry:

It looks like this:

And I don't want to damage the variator, but when I do get the bastid thing off I'm going to take out the fookin restrictor too 8)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Marxx » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:19 pm

Taz you have a pm :P
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Bristle Hound » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:21 am

If you have access to 1 Taz, try a compressed air wrench :?
U know like what the tyre repair garages uses to take your nuts off :bigcry:
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Marxx » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:27 pm

Taz,
I have made the tool for you, if you PM me your address i will send it to you, hope it works (READ should bloody work :D ). As i said i have made the mounting holes a little larger in diameter so you can adjust to fit :P
Good luck I will email a pic. Still can work out how to post piccies, maybe i should read the help thread :banghead)
Mark. :roll)

I have added the picture into the boards "album" hope thats ok :oops)
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby REEFER » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:00 pm

i may not be reading or looking at those pics correctly (flame suit ready)
but isint it just a case of big flat bladed screwdriver wedged between the large cog and the little drive cog, then impact wrench with the correct size socket for your nut, get someone to hold the screwdriver then whack the impact wrench?? a whack normaly loosens nuts in that situation rather than steady brut force

ok start shooting now :stupid)

ps..rounded nut..no problem just use one of those sockets that uses the flats rather than the corners..fooked if i can remember what there called now :?
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby bezzer » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:45 pm

Probably would work Reefer, but we're talking Taz here :P

BTW the phrase you're looking for is 6 point - socket or ring spanner thats the flats one, 12 point is the other one :wink)
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:06 am

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom :clap: and to you Mark for making a tool for me - go on BH, there's your cue you dopey mutt :roll)

I'll see if I can find one of them there 6 point socket things cuz the fookin 12 points socket things are fookin shite man :banghead)

Watch this space for an update :P :D - and possible more calls for assistance :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Bristle Hound » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:56 am

TazCBR1100XX wrote: to you Mark for making a tool for me

Guess you've worn yours out wanking then - Coz according to Rosie thats all u use it for ! :eyebrows) lol
Bristle Hound
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:02 am

METRINCH......thats the name of the sockets i was looking for, they use the flats rather than the corners of the nut!!
hey presto rounding of corners problem sorted :D

:? :? :?
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chrixx » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:12 pm

I think that "Flank Drive" is the term, working on the six flats of the nut.
They have a wedging action that increases the grip with the effort needed.
I s'pose it's not a Left Hand Thread after all that :?
** Too young to be a Sugar Daddy - - - Too old to be a Toy Boy**
Chrixx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby nigel75 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:23 pm

[but isint it just a case of big flat bladed screwdriver wedged between the large cog and the little drive cog, then impact wrench with the correct size socket for your nut]

dont use a screwdriver for fooks sake, unless you want to strip all the teeth off the gear. Use a piece of brass or copper Much softer :thumbsup)
nigel75
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:53 pm

Fear not Nigel - I won't be sticking anything in the teeth of the cogs other than the tool which Mark has made for me :mrgreen:

I'll have to check to see whether or not my right hand is a Flank Drive or not - it does tend to increase the grip according to the effort needed :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Marxx » Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:23 am

Taz
Was the tool any use or is it only good for gathering rust???? :bigcry:
It can be modified with a angle grinder :D
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:13 pm

Been really busy with the run up to Crimbo Mark, so I managed to have a quick look at it yesterday. You were right, the other black bit needs to come off, and it looks like there's a fair amount has to be taken off first to get the black bit on it. I'm going out there soon to take more stuff of the ped, then I'll see how it goes - not got too much fookin light left though, and the garage is a bit dark. I'll let you know how it goes though :thumbsup) And thanks for the efforts so far dude 8)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:24 pm

Well, I got the tool on Mark :thumbsup) It took a bit of jiggling about (think I could have done with a tiny bit more play in the holes :D ), but it's there. All I need to do now is get myself a metrinch socket to fit, and hopefully away we go :) Here's a pic of your handiwork in situ on the ped

TazCBR1100XX

Postby bezzer » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:38 pm

Yoy don't want a metrinch socket that's a dual purpose one that does metric and imperial size in one, a bit of a compromise. just measure across the flats of the nut and that's the metric socket you need.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road... the other 5% made it home.
bezzer
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Marxx » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:50 pm

nice one Taz i thought it may have needed some work on the teeth!!!! as it was quite hard to work out the pitch from the photo. Still it's on now :D
You could try a penertrating oil (Plusgas ect..) on the nut before you try and undo it, leave it to soak for a few hours, just a thought :roll)
Good luck

Happy New year.

Mark :wink)
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:47 pm

Well, the tool is holding the crank solid - fookin good stuff. BUT, the nut that I need to get off is too rounded. I bought a Draper Hi-Tork socket, but unfortunately the edges of the nut were already a bit mashed, so it wouldn't hold and just rounded it off more when I put weight on the wrench. So, do I take the fookin hammer and chisel to the bastid thing, or shall I buy a 6 sided socket and hope that works :? If I have to buy a socket, I can't get one until after New Year because the tool supplier will have to order one in - unless I can find somewhere else that sells them. The hammer is looking promising at the moment :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby rob_1961 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:08 pm

Taz mate use a file or grinder to produce some flats on it then get a spanner on it that might do the trick :mrgreen:
Now on a busa
rob_1961
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Marxx » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:53 pm

Taz im not taking the pi$$ but it's not a Left Hand Thread is it.
Just a thought :wink)
Marxx
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Next

Return to The Whippit Inn