Callipers and wavy discs

If your wondering what tyres to use or how long they last, or what type of brake pads to use etc. etc. then this is the place to look.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Callipers and wavy discs

Postby cbr1100xxhill » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Does anyone know what other callipers will fit the Bird?

Also any recommendations on discs? Wavy or not? standard or aftermarket?

Thank you please
cbr1100xxhill
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: Callipers and wavy discs

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 am

EBC after market discs have a good rep. I'll personally vouch for Armsrong waveys and also Stealth waveys. Be aware that some people have had trouble with the Stealth, so it's your call. There are some reeeeeally cheap Chinese made waveys on fleabay that I saw but didn't really look at (I personally don't usually head for the bargain bin when it comes to brakes, but will find a decent price for good quality stuff).

Standard discs are errrm 'very Honda' ie well made, with top quality materials and presented with top quality prices.

Just replaced mine with Armstrongs from here- BCT Talked to the fella and got them for £299 the set. I am lucky though, coz I can collect from there so no postage costs.

As for calipers, I haven't noticed a problem with the originals that a service kit or the odd new bleed nipple wouldn't cure, so never really explored the possibilities. For me, I don't mind spending money, but it HAS to provide a benefit that's worth the cost. The prices of 'race' or billet calipers are just, well---- eye watering :shock) and a matter for the individual I reckon :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby jezza » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I like to know if you can get upgraded master cylinder for the 'bird as I'ave delinked the brakes and while Iam happy with the results I like more power to the brakes..rember reading a piece in Performance Bikes where a reader done the same and he upgraded the master cylinder, but wasn't cheep. Anybody know if it can be done without costing a arm and a leg.
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:31 am

Never looked at it Jezza, but bearing in mind that the XX reservoir and master cyl is standard across most if the Honda range including some of the 'blade models and the VTR models as well I think.

Also worth mentioning that there used to be a specific XX challenge racing series so it's likely that the brakes may have been uprated for that :-? There must be some sort of track conversion out there somewhere.
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Oldbull » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Brembo do a nice one Jeza but as you say they arent cheap, the best alternative I could suggest is to get a radial M/C off a newish gixxer thou or the like, they are a lot lot better than antiquated one on the bird .. but it will
have the remote reservoir which wont match the onboard clutch res,

I have been thinking about robbing my trackbike of her Brembo for a while now but as I said it wont match..

should be plenty about at the breakers etc etc, if you can live with the looks :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jezza » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks again Guys and managed to track down that bird on PB and chatted to the owner Rick..got loads of info of him and Oddbull, he went the brembo route.. I'ave seen his pics and while the brembos look great the mounting brackets are ugly as..and not cheep [£300]http://ixxra.co.uk/v-web/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=23386# plus the brembo MC also silly money £300 posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=23386#so by the time Iave stumped up that wonga for all that Iave have some holiday for the money..Rick says its worth it but even he admits it cost him a packet..meanwhile I keep a beady eye on fleabay..
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to Consumables