Best chain and sprocket sets

If your wondering what tyres to use or how long they last, or what type of brake pads to use etc. etc. then this is the place to look.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Best chain and sprocket sets

Postby Chrisevans41 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, I can't find any through searches.
Anyway, looking at replacing the chain and sprokets (C&S)soon (cos they are near wear markers on chain adjusters. Should have fitted a Scottoiler sooner I s'pose.
Seen an AFAM DC MAX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold from "Wemoto" with £70 off, £89 rather than £159 for the C & S set. Having read enough bumff on x ring, o ring, and Nubering chains what is best?
I know Jaws do a good deal on D.I.D. C&S

All useful tips, as usual, considered.

:) :)
STAY ON STAY SAFE
Chrisevans41
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Re: Best chain and sprocket sets

Postby Tazcbr1100xx » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 pm

I've tried a couple, but if I'm being perfectly honest, the best Ive had so far is the original Honda set :mrgreen:

Someone a few years ago suggested SSS, but that about as much use as one made from chocolate :roll) I've had D.I.D. X ring Gold for the last two with Renthal sprockets, but I'm not as happy with them as I was with the originals :oops)
Sorted!
Tazcbr1100xx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Same as Taz..the Triple S was a complete bag of shite. I am very happy with the DID Gold and Renthal sprockets though....and I also don't have oil all over my fookin back wheel as I don't mind footing the extra cost over the years attributed to not having a Scottoiler. :)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:19 am

DID ZVM or ZVM2 by now possibly :-? Renthal rear sproc and Honda standard front. Not the cheapest option to pay for, but it is the cheapest option, because you won't be replacing them next year unless you're a real deal, no idea, fookin knob 'ead (which I doubt because you're asking :thumbsup) )

SSS= Soft as Sheep Shit

Didn't get on with EK either. I remember fitting one in winter 05-06, riding to Squires on a truly, hideously salty winter day, riding from the there to Taz's place and having to borrow his kit to take half the tension range up withing 100 miles of setting off. By June it was totalled :shock) :shock)
Last edited by MaXX2 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby smileymiley » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:05 pm

As said by others.... SSS are absolutely crap... :sick)

Got a Tsubaki Gold on at the moment, very good indeed :rockon)
Cheers

Miles

Vini, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around.
smileymiley
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Chrisevans41 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:07 pm

MaXX2 wrote:DID ZVM or ZVM2 by now possibly :-? Renthal rear sproc and Honda standard front. Not the cheapest option to pay for, but it is the cheapest option, because you won't be replacing them next year unless you're a real deal, no idea, fookin knob 'ead (which I doubt because you're asking :thumbsup) )

SSS= Soft as Sheep Shit

Didn't get on with EK either. I remember fitting one in winter 05-06, riding to Squires on a truly, hideously salty winter day, riding from the there to Taz's place and having to borrow his kit to take half the tension range up withing 100 miles of setting off. By June it was totalled :shock) :shock)

Cheers all as usual for comments, it's good to know the crap SSS details as well. Quality not quantity is what I'll be going for then.
STAY ON STAY SAFE
Chrisevans41
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Akuji-too » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:27 pm

I have no knowledge in this area :wink)
Akuji-too
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Akuji-too wrote:I have no knowledge in this area :wink)

lol lol lol ...that's a blast from the past eh!

Lest we forget.

:thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji-too » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:32 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
Akuji-too wrote:I have no knowledge in this area :wink)

lol lol lol ...that's a blast from the past eh!

Lest we forget.

:thumbsup)

Ssssshhhhhh :oops)
Akuji-too
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Akuji » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:40 am

2 of us now :shock)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Nige J » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 am

I know that this is quite an old post now, but I thought I'd drop in my tenpenworth.

After 30K miles on the original C & S, decided that it was about time to change due to an upcoming trip through France ( C & S not knackered in any way, but I was starting to get nevous).

Anyways, after pricing up various aftermarket kits, I ended up getting an genuine Honda OEM kit, bought and fitted by my local Honda dealer.

This was cheaper than all the decent quality aftermarket kits

PS. A mate of mine had a SSS chain fitted to his blackbird - it snapped within 500 miles causing a LOT of damage
I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed person
Nige J
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Nige J wrote:I know that this is quite an old post now, but I thought I'd drop in my tenpenworth.

After 30K miles on the original C & S, decided that it was about time to change due to an upcoming trip through France ( C & S not knackered in any way, but I was starting to get nevous).

Anyways, after pricing up various aftermarket kits, I ended up getting an genuine Honda OEM kit, bought and fitted by my local Honda dealer.

This was cheaper than all the decent quality aftermarket kits

PS. A mate of mine had a SSS chain fitted to his blackbird - it snapped within 500 miles causing a LOT of damage

LOL C&S change before a big trip....akuji (posted just before your post) did that once and got as far as oooooh, lemme think, was it the Midlands. :-? Fekk someone help me with this story of akuji and his snapped chain , I know it caused much mirth and merriment as well as some nail spitting.

Triple S chain :shock) . I got one from Jaws many moons ago and after about 7000 miles you could make a circle with the links on its side. I think Taz was the first here to have issues with Triple S chain.

8)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 pm

After 32k I decided I fancied a new one chain and sprocket set. I don't know how it was treated up to 5k (when I bought it) but it's been ScottOiled since I've had it. It could have gone on but it was starting to play on my mind about how long should it last and for that reason alone I replaced it. During replacement I saw the front sprocket was starting to get a bit hooky so I think it was about the right time.

Jaws stopped selling the SSS and now does the IZUMI or DID. I rode up to him in Thetford on Wednesday and I chose the DID which he fitted. I guess I can't comment on the quality (but I guess it's well proven) as so far I've only put about 200miles on it.

Brakes, tyres and chains are not something I'd scrimp on.
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:27 pm

OEM is DID if that helps.
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Chrisevans41 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:06 pm

MaXX2 wrote:OEM is DID if that helps.

Thanks everyone, some sesnible answers too. Might go with the Originals or DID front abnd Tzsubaki rear sprockets. :thumbsup)
STAY ON STAY SAFE
Chrisevans41
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 am

Anyone know the part number for the OEM front sprocket at Silvers ??

can only find the kits.....

15k on a DID set and the chain is feked... :banghead)

14 of them were under water mind, Head down and slugging it out to get home has presure washed the life out of them.... :bigcry:

Im normally pretty anal about oiling my chain but I couldnt keep up with it this time... I have the single side scotoiler fitted but to be fair when you see the state ofthe bike when youve just ridden the storms so to speak, you havent got a prayer... :banghead)

So back in the garage AGAIN for me ... head bearings, chain and sproks, double feed oiler and fork oil change.... 3 years worth of maintenance in 8 months ..... and thats SUMMER riding duh duh
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm

OEM front sproc no is 23801-MAT-760 Dave

As for chain wear, a couple of things that may be worth a mention. The DID VM will fit the 'bird but is a lower quality (though hugely cheaper) replacement. 15k sounds about right for a VM. The new ZVM2 or ZVM-X both exceed Honda's OEM spec (they're newer variants) and I saw one on fleabay for £117 incl P&P.

Are you sure about chain adjustment? That'll eat chains just as much as pouring salt on 'em... just a thought.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Oldbull » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks Mick,

The tension chestnut :P

Measure slack on side/centre stand as per manual or with someone sat on bike etc etc :P :P :mrgreen:

must admit I tend to run with it a tad on the slack side due to mostly two up touring and needing the full travel of the swinger ...ahhhem :)

I run with 7mm rideheight with 30/35mm chain slack set on stand, I will tension this one to 25 and see how it goes.

I will order the latest spec DID with a renthall sprocs and again see how it goes... whats your take on the tension thing Mick ??? Theres a big difference in the tension between the two methods as you will be well aware :P

Edit: Silvers OEM front sproc is £39.84 with vat and delivery jawdropping
looks like being a noisy one :)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Oldbull wrote:Thanks Mick,

The tension chestnut :P

Measure slack on side/centre stand as per manual or with someone sat on bike etc etc :P :P :mrgreen:

must admit I tend to run with it a tad on the slack side due to mostly two up touring and needing the full travel of the swinger ...ahhhem :)

I run with 7mm rideheight with 30/35mm chain slack set on stand, I will tension this one to 25 and see how it goes.

I will order the latest spec DID with a renthall sprocs and again see how it goes... whats your take on the tension thing Mick ??? Theres a big difference in the tension between the two methods as you will be well aware :P

Edit: Silvers OEM front sproc is £39.84 with vat and delivery jawdropping
looks like being a noisy one :)

Not really the chain tension I was thinking about pal (I set to an inch'ish off stand, with me on it). It was the rear wheel alignment I was thinking of? ie the setting 'between the marks' for want of a better description.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Decided to replace the C&S kit this year. There's plenty of adjustment left in the OEM but let's be right, it's 14 years old, with 'O' rings (rather than 'X' rings) and any chain that old, coated in oil has knackered rubbers in it, so nuff's enuff :mrgreen:

Thought long and hard and decided to go for the DID VX (cheap option- the chain and both sprockets were £87 all in and arrived today) and see what it'll give compared to the £130 ZVM2 chain alone. Been thinking about giving it a go for ages, so sod it why not! I haven't bothered trying to save on the sprockets though (choccie sprockie killee chainee as they say), so Renthal rear and a spare Honda OEM I have, will fit the bill nicely.

I'll note the mileage when it goes on and do the usual squirt over with ACF50 before fitting to the Scott-oilered bike and we'll see how we go.

Exciting innit.... I like saving money on some things I do :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 am

MaXX2 wrote:Decided to replace the C&S kit this year. There's plenty of adjustment left in the OEM but let's be right, it's 14 years old, with 'O' rings (rather than 'X' rings) and any chain that old, coated in oil has knackered rubbers in it, so nuff's enuff :mrgreen:

Thought long and hard and decided to go for the DID VX (cheap option- the chain and both sprockets were £87 all in and arrived today) and see what it'll give compared to the £130 ZVM2 chain alone. Been thinking about giving it a go for ages, so sod it why not! I haven't bothered trying to save on the sprockets though (choccie sprockie killee chainee as they say), so Renthal rear and a spare Honda OEM I have, will fit the bill nicely.

I'll note the mileage when it goes on and do the usual squirt over with ACF50 before fitting to the Scott-oilered bike and we'll see how we go.

Exciting innit.... I like saving money on some things I do :mrgreen:

Where from, Maxx2 ?...and how are they wearing? The £87 all in jobby......Shirley that doesn't have the REnthal rear and OEN front..or did you buy them separate and chuck the two sprockets that came with the £87 jobby, in the bin/drawer?

Looking for chain and sprocket set for Joeboxer's Bird.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:47 am

It's a year old post mate, but it was an ebay job and a quick glance brought this up today C&S kit As I think I said in the post, the Renthal and Honda OEM were seperate so I probly still have the sprocs that came with the pack unused if they're any use to ya?

There hasn't actually been any chain wear at 4500 miles. In other words, it hasn't needed to be adjusted at all and still didn't when I took it for MOT a couple of weeks ago.

I should say though, without being too dull a twat, my chain's lasered straight, I have a Scottoiler and the tension is set to about an inch, off stand, with me sitting on it. I think that's why I don't wear chains out that much :|
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby TRIPPO » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:09 am

Got myself an OEM C&S set to fit on mine today!
Was cheaper than I expected but still a hefty price.....£159

Maxx! Do you spray the chain with ACF50 and then oil it straight away as normal with the scotoiler doing it's job or do you run it on the ACF50 for a while first! :thumbsup)
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:50 am

TRIPPO wrote:Got myself an OEM C&S set to fit on mine today!
Was cheaper than I expected but still a hefty price.....£159

Maxx! Do you spray the chain with ACF50 and then oil it straight away as normal with the scotoiler doing it's job or do you run it on the ACF50 for a while first! :thumbsup)

Usual routine for me is to clean the manufacturer's gunk off in the first place John, then give it a dose of ACF to get right down into the rings and joints, then fit it and ride it on the Scottoiler. The only other time I use ACF is when the chain's seen some salt on a ride. Get home and before it's cooled, give it a dose. I usually use a red diesel rubber glove, spray the ACF onto the chain and the glove at the same time and rub it in all the way round. Theory is, it will kill off the salt and protect the chain till next use. It takes literally 5 minutes.

So far, the theory works. By spring the chain tends to look black and crappy, but a wipe over with a good old fashioned oily rag, brings it right on up again. I think the knack is, to hit the salt with ACF before it gets settled and starts damaging stuff :thumbsup)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby BlackMagic » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Just a thought could you use acf50 in the scottoiler???
BlackMagic
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Next

Return to Consumables