Pilot Road 3

If your wondering what tyres to use or how long they last, or what type of brake pads to use etc. etc. then this is the place to look.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Pilot Road 3

Postby Poacher » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi all so knowledgeable xx :ride)

Is there a specific to xx Pilot Road 3 like the bridgestone 020, 021, 023 GTs?

Would of popped this under tyres but a certain hm hm moderator has it locked still :wink)

How can prices vary so much? 219 to 275 for a pair excluding fitting!

Thanks appreciatively

:mrgreen:
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Re: Pilot Road 3

Postby Mister Majestik » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Dont think they are a recommended fitment by michelin.

That only means they have not tested them on a Bird.

Lots of people tested / used them on a bird and are very happy with them (trippo for one),

he says they are mega( in a funny accent) lol

not used them myself yet.

I've bought my last tyres from here

http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/pair ... t_276.html

this place was cheapest at the time, tyre are expensive now :rolleyes:

people get good mileage out of the michelins, bare that in mind when pricing and comparing.

sure someone else, thats actually used them will be along soon
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 pm

ramo wrote:Dont think they are a recommended fitment by michelin.

That only means they have not tested them on a Bird.

Or could it mean they have tested and they weren't happy with them?

I've got a Michelin account manager coming to my local Advanced groups monthly meet on Tuesday. Let me know if you've any specific questions above and beyond "Have you test them on the 'bird/Busa/ZZR and if not why not?"
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Poacher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:06 am

ramo wrote:
I've bought my last tyres from here

http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/pair ... t_276.html

£225 this place was cheapest at the time, tyre are expensive now :rolleyes:

Have found cheaper by 6 squid [£219] WITH 25 squid money back from michellin!

Hmmmm dilemma's

But then again my local shop is £275 + fitting

And a mobile fitting.... £312 all-in [+£39 squid callout!!!!!]

so me finks........ £219 - 25 = £194 + fitting £50 ish = £244 no brainer really!!!!!!
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 am

Already asked them. Asked them with the PR 2's as well for that matter and the answer was the same--- they weren't tested on the 'bird because it hasn't been in production for the last half decade and they have a tried and tested hyperbike tyre anyway (if you can get hold of one).

PR2's were the best sticking, longest lasting tyre I'd ever had on the 'bird. The PR3's went on a couple of weeks ago and still have the moulding nipples on for me to wear off, but they're reported to be stickier and longer lasting than that :D :D I had 9000 miles on the PR2 rear and would LOVE to see 2 full seasons on the PR3 :D :D :D

5 years ago I used Pilot Sports. 3-4000 on a rear :shock) :shock) (but I could do 90 across an icy ceiling with my knee down) Hard to believe how far tyres have come on even in such a short time :|

I see Avon are a bit late with the UltraMonsoonTsunamiStormApocalypseRevenge 3... they mustn't have finished stripping down the PR3 and trying to figure out how the experts have done it yet lol lol

Poacher- mine cost £255 fitted and balanced on loose wheels if that helps pal :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Poacher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 pm

MaXX2 wrote:Poacher- mine cost £255 fitted and balanced on loose wheels if that helps pal :thumbsup)

Cant get anywhere near that price in Northamptonshire lol

Just seen the cheapest price are from Northern Island so unfortunately wont be using them.......

I have made a decision and will use my local bike shop to help keep them running even if Im paying a little more for them.

O and fanks Maxxie :wink)
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Poacher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:56 pm

RP3 ordered from local shop and they have agreed to fit to loose wheels £274.99 fully inc. [price they quoted just for tyres yday]

I'm happy to keep my local bike shop running :thumbsup) :thumbsup) :thumbsup)

Drop wheels off in morning for fitment.

Collect satdy and re-fit to xx

Using new laser alignment tool :wink) be off and running when weather warms up lol

:ride) :ride) :ride) xx xx xx :ride) :ride) :ride)
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 pm

No fookin idea what it means Poacher, but....On Yer ( :-? ) pal :clap: :clap: :thumbsup)

Over for MOT meself on Satdee so I'll se if I can scrub the odd nipple off :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

cash back

Postby Mister Majestik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:42 pm

michelin cash back offer link -

http://road-trip.michelin.co.uk/
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: cash back

Postby Poacher » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:28 pm

ramo wrote:michelin cash back offer link -

http://road-trip.michelin.co.uk/

Thanks for that but NO! they are not having my bank details end of!
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Took mine over for MOT last Satdee......even in the first few miles they felt good :thumbsup) I'm now asking the same question I always end up asking... why do I waste money saving money on cheaper tyres :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Poacher » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Question.......

Why does the front tread pattern look like it goes backwards??

The back tyre looks correct but the front goes the opposite way.

IE the 'V' on the back wheel the pointy bit goes forwards in rotation, the front the pointy bit goes backwards.

The arrow on the tyre is in direction of rotation and the wheel is in correctly before you ask AJ :wink)
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby aj » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Poacher wrote:Question.......

Why does the front tread pattern look like it goes backwards??

The back tyre looks correct but the front goes the opposite way.

IE the 'V' on the back wheel the pointy bit goes forwards in rotation, the front the pointy bit goes backwards.

The arrow on the tyre is in direction of rotation and the wheel is in correctly before you ask AJ :wink)

wasn't going to ask :mrgreen: ... just to let you know, they've fitted it upside down... :shock)

regards
aj :thumbsup)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Scotty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

I spoke to a tyre fitter last week who came to my local Advanced group and he said pulling the water in actually adds stability.

Apparently it all makes sense if you picture the tyre when it's cornering :P
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby bodmin » Tue May 01, 2012 1:07 pm

The 3's have just been given approval for use on the 'bird by the Tüv here in Germany, and the 2's weren't approved, so I will probably try the 3's next (only just got a set of tyres last week, though... :banghead) .......
There are three types of people...
Those that count, and those that can't...

bodmin
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:00 am

I'm glad Tuv have tested it actually. The fact that Michie never bothered didn't put me off them but... spose it's nice to know they've been tested to destruction and found to be the same quality as all the others.

I should say that I had me first 600 mile+ day out over the weekend and was lucky (errr????) to be able to ride with them in wet and dry from boondocks to motorways. They're faultless. They don't feel any different from the PR 2's in the wet, but there must be something different about them because looking at the speedo, I was sometimes surprised at how easy it was to get around bends on wet surfaces. In the dry, the only real word is probably..... KIN GREAT FUN lol lol

Out of Carlisle and on the M6 the roads were wet (rain had stopped so just surface water) and bearing in mind I was north of civilisation and south of Scotia I was alone. So I thought "Hmmm... wet brake test" so at 70ish mph...stood on the rear and ragged the front back haaaaaaaard. The bike stopped. No skidding, no tail weaving, not hurled out of the seat into infinity... it just stopped neat, quick and very matter of fact.

Only question now is longevity...and I'm suddenly none too bothered about that really. The PR2 lasted longer than any of the others by a country mile and if the PR3 is the same (or even a bit less) I'll stick with it just for the way it works. Michie say it'll last longer and if it does, that would just be a bonus.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Mad Badger » Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Just got through my first PR3 rear at 6000 miles, that's a thousand more than the Road Smarts I had on before. The Dunlops are just slightly sportier and give a bit more confidence in the wet but there's very little in it. Will be staying on Mitchies for the foreseeable. The rear was looking a bit close to the end before last weekend, then I rode with the Mrs on the back to the BMF Show in Cambs. By the time we got home it was squarer than a square thing.

I'll let you know how far the front goes.

Badger. 8)
Mad Badger
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby aj » Tue May 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Mad Badger wrote: then I rode with the Mrs on the back to the BMF Show in Cambs. By the time we got home it was squarer than a square thing.

Badger. 8)

lean the fekker over more sad tadger... give her more of a thrill.. lol

regards
aj :roll) :mrgreen:

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Oldbull » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Old thread sorry....

what they like fully laden two up full luggage etc etc..

can get a set for 255 fitted on loose wheels, normally run the storms but Im not getting the milage that you lot are on about... apx 50 sobs dearer than the storm st but price is not an issue

decision needed for France on the29th.. plenty on the storms for this weekend :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TRIPPO » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Oldbull wrote:Old thread sorry....

what they like fully laden two up full luggage etc etc..

can get a set for 255 fitted on loose wheels, normally run the storms but Im not getting the milage that you lot are on about... apx 50 sobs dearer than the storm st but price is not an issue

decision needed for France on the29th.. plenty on the storms for this weekend :thumbsup)

Just had some Pilot Road 2's fitted to mine Oldbull, at wheel house tyre's coleshill for £220 ride in-out :thumbsup) as Michelin are paying for the fitting, so £45 pounds cheaper than they are doing PR3's for :thumbsup)

Just as good loaded as solo riding in my view :thumbsup)
both 2's and 3's
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby Oldbull » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Ta John, nobody mentioned the weight thing so I thought Id ask... will get a set ordered for next week..

see you at the weekend mate :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:01 pm

well swat me with a big swatter and a big flippin stick .....

I have just doubled checked the mileage on my last/current set of rubber, Im on the storm ST's now, in the past Ive always ran with the storms...
with the new ST's Im currently on 7K on the rear, with a good thou left in it and this is the second rear with this front.... and theres plenty left on that as well...

Totally gobsmacked at that as I never really check the mileage properly, just put new on when required... was still under the impression that I was only getting around 4K tops (rears) :P

altered my way of thinking now about the PR3, Dont need em now I know Im getting the same mileage and Ive always been very happy with the Storms performance...

you know how it is when your going abroad, new rubber all round, shall I shant I .. dont need it yet butttt lol

anyway, Im still going to put a new set on next week so I still might give the PR3 a try but for the extra sixty sobs :shock)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Fatbird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 am

I got PR 3's on my VFR, ride in ride out 259 inc.... 2Wheel solutions, Darlington...
Fatbird
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to Consumables