summer thermostat?

If your wondering what tyres to use or how long they last, or what type of brake pads to use etc. etc. then this is the place to look.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

summer thermostat?

Postby jezza » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 pm

..does such a thing exist for the 'bird?..I know they run hot especial my F1 model but we do a lot of touring in europe and this years trip to the pyrenees had the fan kicking in even on the hairpin cols as the average speed was below 40mph,[other half was pic happy] fine once the speed was up but my mates sports bikes fans were kicking in only in heavy traffic. Iam going change the coolant for next trip and I like the 'bird to run a bit cooler if possible.
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: summer thermostat?

Postby Tigger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:21 am

Dont think so, maxx maxx maxx ?

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:08 am

Jezza, If I'm teaching grandpa to suck eggs, I apologise, I don't know what you know. But there is an answer to this problem and it's easy to sort.

The stat fan switch in your machine kicks in at exactly the same temp as an owners XX in Califaornia or Oz (102C +/-) coz that's where Honda say the bike works best. The thermostat itself isn't the problem (that just keeps hot water in the engine and head at start up, until it reaches operating temp and then releases it to the rad and cooling system for further attention), it's the thermostatic fan switch in the radiator. You'd also have to find an uprated rad cap, because the pressure caused by the overheat required would vent the original too early, which would make your ride a bit steamy for the first half hour, until it had vented half the coolant. At that stage your ride would be more sedate, coz you'd be stopping every 10 minutes for half an hour to stop the constant overhaeating.

What you're asking for may be possible because another bike may just have a higher rated stat switch that may possibly fit... but it's unlikely to do what you want it to and it may cause damage.

You want the fan to activate less and to do that you'd have to increase the temp rating of the stat (say up to 110-115 C) All well and good (if it can be done), but if we ignore potential engine damage/wear at that temp, it would certainly take the fan a few extra minutes to kick in for the first time on a given riding day, but after that the engine would simply maintain the coolant at the higher temp and kick in equally often to keep it there...and if you think your legs are baked cooling a 102C radiator, wait till you try a 115C radiator :shock) :shock) :shock)

The only realistic way to do it would be to have a stat set at such a high temp that the engine would never get the coolant there in the first place (or only rarely so) and I suspect that would almost certainly cause damage.

The actual answer to the problem is really simple....ditch the fuel infected pretending Blackbird and buy a cheaper to run, faster, cooler, maintenance free carbed machine. That way you can ride around Europe and sit in hot traffic jams pssing yourself laughing at your mates whilst they scream out loud every 3 minutes or so for no apparent reason lol lol lol

I know that doesn't help, but I couldn't help it :wink) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm

If you went the other way, and reduced the temp, the fan would kick in more, and the hot air blowing on you fromn the vent holes would be worse.

Buy a 600, no heat issues there :thumbsup)

devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Oldbull » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Jezza, You can put a manual overide switch on the fan so you can manually switch it on earlier and off as required... does help in the conditions you want it for mate and dos'nt do any harm... other than that as Mick says its not worth the risk altering stats etc...

:thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jezza » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys..think this a case of 'if it aint broke' ..I live with it, and manual override of the fan is temping..but best not, and whats that, Maxx.. ditch my beloved F1 model for a..what...carbs???..Dear Lord, did they bring out the bird with carbs??..gosh!.. that most be really old,..Iam sure the work fine..bless 'em.
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 am

jezza wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys..think this a case of 'if it aint broke' ..I live with it, and manual override of the fan is temping..but best not, and whats that, Maxx.. ditch my beloved F1 model for a..what...carbs???..Dear Lord, did they bring out the bird with carbs??..gosh!.. that most be really old,..Iam sure the work fine..bless 'em.

Yes indeedy Jezza. The XX that held the fastest production roadbike record for a short while was carbed and yes, that was beaten as we all know, by the V&M CBR1200XX Super Blackbird which is ...........carbed. Then europe got involved, slowed them down, made them burn more petrol per mile, forced them to run at a considerably higher temperature (as I think you've found out :thumbsup) ) and generally added 400 miles of wiring, 328 sensors, a computer box and fook all useful :mrgreen:

Don't you be thinking that buying a FI XX is an advantage...Honda got it right then took a backward step when they were forced to by Europe :wink) :mrgreen:

Rum---te---tum---te tum tum....rum te tum te tuuuuum tum :twisted)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby jezza » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 am

Fair comment MaXX..but I had and still own R1's,my Y2K R1[dyno jetted] was arguable one of the finest carbed bikes ever to come from the land of the rising sun..but turned into a asthmatic 600 upon reaching the summit of any col or decent size mountain in Europe, while my mate supposedly inferior TL when stumping on past..I prefer the FI to carbs as easier to tune with a power commander..I still rember my Y2K model in the kitchen stripped down to almost the frame just to dnyo jet the fucker..single chap then..as for that V&M Bird, dont get me going..love to own one, I believe their as rare as rocking horse [Why oh Why didnt Honda make one]..know wheres one MaXX?
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tigger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:47 am

MaXX2 wrote:Rum---te---tum---te tum tum....rum te tum te tuuuuum tum :twisted)

Tune by axle rose? :) :-?

devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:49 am

jezza wrote:Fair comment MaXX..but I had and still own R1's,my Y2K R1[dyno jetted] was arguable one of the finest carbed bikes ever to come from the land of the rising sun..but turned into a asthmatic 600 upon reaching the summit of any col or decent size mountain in Europe, while my mate supposedly inferior TL when stumping on past..I prefer the FI to carbs as easier to tune with a power commander..I still rember my Y2K model in the kitchen stripped down to almost the frame just to dnyo jet the fucker..single chap then..as for that V&M Bird, dont get me going..love to own one, I believe their as rare as rocking horse [Why oh Why didnt Honda make one]..know wheres one MaXX?

S'not a fair comment at all Jezza, in fact, it's a load of old bollix :mrgreen: A 'bird's a 'bird and if the FI owners don't mind the extra cost of ownership, I'm certainly not bothered. Either way, on the road, neither of us is going anywhere quicker than the other... the engine performance isn't the problem with the XX. If you want to get ahead you'll be needing better handling, not more power :mrgreen:

As for the V&M... I'd have it as a toy if I were rich but it's a tad 'precious' for me. Little plates with numbers on welded to the top bridge make for a fine collector's bike, not necessarily the one I'd be riding around Europe on sorta thing :mrgreen:

Tigger wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:Rum---te---tum---te tum tum....rum te tum te tuuuuum tum :twisted)

Tune by axle rose? :) :-?

Slow it down and you'll find it's the theme tune from the Archers :wink) :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby jezza » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:16 pm

I agree with better handling [mine got revalved front, nitron rear] and better brakes..them stupid linked brakes had to go..bit more power be nice to..I tour on the V&M bird, MaXX dont believe in keeping bikes in glass cages..my biggest issue with the V&M 'Bird is the hideous paint job, way to much yellow,ok for the race bike, but for the road..you look like your riding a oversized HI VIS vest..uuugh!
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:41 pm

jezza wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys..think this a case of 'if it aint broke' ..I live with it, and manual override of the fan is temping..but best not, and whats that, Maxx.. ditch my beloved F1 model for a..what...carbs???..Dear Lord, did they bring out the bird with carbs??..gosh!.. that most be really old,..Iam sure the work fine..bless 'em.

Its not instead of Jezza, but as well as. The fan stat will work as normal wether the switch is on or off..

A lot of the TL lads in the states run one as they run hot as well
Last edited by Oldbull on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:08 pm

jezza wrote:I agree with better handling [mine got revalved front, nitron rear] and better brakes..them stupid linked brakes had to go..bit more power be nice to..I tour on the V&M bird, MaXX dont believe in keeping bikes in glass cages..my biggest issue with the V&M 'Bird is the hideous paint job, way to much yellow,ok for the race bike, but for the road..you look like your riding a oversized HI VIS vest..uuugh!

YELLOW :shock) Don't think they did 'em in yellow at V&M Jezza. Red, black and white, with silver badge work was the only standard colour scheme from recollection. Quite elegant (if a bit plain) I thought. What d'ya reckon :-?

Honda-CBR1200XX-2000-2.jpg
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby jezza » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Oops.. I stand corrected...mmm..yeah, a tad boring..never a fan of the honda red..one I seen was the V&M
colour scheme, and asumed they all like that.. like the white number board[ is it a numberboard? ] and the exhaust..hate the 'CBR' graphics, to much like the old
'blade..wouldnt stop me getting one mind.
Last edited by jezza on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby jezza » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks Outbull..must admit Iam paranoid about overheating..got any links or info on how to, fitting instructions etc?
jezza
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to Consumables