Galfer Semi-Metallic

If your wondering what tyres to use or how long they last, or what type of brake pads to use etc. etc. then this is the place to look.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Galfer Semi-Metallic

Postby JayB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:41 am

Has anyone used these pads before?

I bought them under the impression that they were an HH pad, (sintered like SBS / EBC) but they are not.

I have already installed them in the rear brake but I am a little unsure about using them on the front.

I can be quite an aggressive rider when solo - my blast to work this morning was pretty full on, only 6/7 miles or so, but with a mixture of 70mph+ potential and traffic-filled single carriageway roads to leap-frog cars, I do use the brakes quite hard at times.

Wondering if I should just stick with sintered pads on the old girl rather than try these now thay have arrived.
2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Galfer Semi-Metallic

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 pm

JayB wrote:Has anyone used these pads before?

I bought them under the impression that they were an HH pad, (sintered like SBS / EBC) but they are not.

I have already installed them in the rear brake but I am a little unsure about using them on the front.

I can be quite an aggressive rider when solo - my blast to work this morning was pretty full on, only 6/7 miles or so, but with a mixture of 70mph+ potential and traffic-filled single carriageway roads to leap-frog cars, I do use the brakes quite hard at times. Wondering if I should just stick with sintered pads on the old girl rather than try these now thay have arrived.

:shock)

Our resident expert will be along soon JayB to offer words of wisdom.

I bet ya tyres soon get warmed up :D I'd warm them up first as I'm a bit of a wimp

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 am

Never used Galfer pads before and to be honest, the only way you'll ever know whether they're any good for you or not, is to give them a try. The only thing we can say with accuracy is that they're tested and safe (otherwise they wouldn't be for sale). Unlikely that Galfer make them so the question is; I wonder who does? Anyway, if they're crap you can replace them at no extra cost (bearing in mind you're already thinking of slinging them untried anyway) and a pad change on the 'bird takes all of what... 30 minutes or so :-?

Must be worth a go rather than just binning them. You know your worries so you can run them in and test them yourself under partially controlled conditions which should give you a fair insight as to whether you can live with them of not :-?

Just one opinion though :smile:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby JayB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 am

Ha ha, yeah the tyres do get warm, it's a great blast to work, the first couple of miles are 30mph then 50mph single carriageway, but with loads of bends and overtaking opportunities, then the last bit is a nice straight A-road which turns into a dual carriageway.
So it does get progressively quicker. Bike has BT023s on, first Bridegestones I've run for years, they feel good from the off.

Even compared to my old 2003 R1 and SP-1 - the 'Bird cuts the mustard and has me smiling equally by the time I arrive. :thumbsup)

It's turned out that I have cocked up anyway and they don't even fit the 'Bird! duh - they are for a 2006 on VFR800, when I bought them I thought, ah VFR800, same pads.... no.

So all I can do is comment on how the rears feel, once bedded in I'm afraid.

Really need to do the fronts and bleed the brakes, the fluid isn't looking great. Think it's going to be SBS or EBC HH now.
2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Return to Consumables