Oil Question

If your wondering what tyres to use or how long they last, or what type of brake pads to use etc. etc. then this is the place to look.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Oil Question

Postby Kempy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Went to my local dealer to get oil and air filter for service. Guy in the service dept said they recommend semi synthetic 10w 30 rather than 40. I don't know much about these things so I did query him but he was adamant that this is the oil that honda are recommending. So I bought some.

Question: have I been too hasty, should I take it back tomorrow and get 40?
Kempy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Oil Question

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:23 am

Never saw this Kempy and am well surprised that nobody else bothered you with an answer :-?

Late as it is though, don't worry about the 30 grade oil this change, no harm done as long as it's semi-synth, the world is at peace with itself. The 30 (or 40) is a viscosity rating measured at 100 deg C. The lower the number, the lower the viscosity. Therefore when you're engine oil and my engine oil hit that temperature, yours will be a bit 'thinner' or more 'watery' than mine. My wife's car runs on 10W30 and it's not a worry in the UK. The only realtime difference MIGHT be feint engine/mechanical noises being slightly more noticeable and again only POSSIBLY, a hint more smoke from the engine, depending on the age/condition of the engine's guts.

The two oils do mix fine, so next service go back to Honda's recommended rating and you don't need to do anything silly like flush the system, just oil/filter change and ride away :thumbsup)

Sorry for the delay pal and I hope you're thoroughly fookin ashamed of yourself paying someone to change the oil on your 'bird lol :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby barsteward » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:59 pm

MaXX2 wrote:Never saw this Kempy and am well surprised that nobody else bothered you with an answer :-?

Late as it is though, don't worry about the 30 grade oil this change, no harm done as long as it's semi-synth, the world is at peace with itself. The 30 (or 40) is a viscosity rating measured at 100 deg C. The lower the number, the lower the viscosity. Therefore when you're engine oil and my engine oil hit that temperature, yours will be a bit 'thinner' or more 'watery' than mine. My wife's car runs on 10W30 and it's not a worry in the UK. The only realtime difference MIGHT be feint engine/mechanical noises being slightly more noticeable and again only POSSIBLY, a hint more smoke from the engine, depending on the age/condition of the engine's guts.

The two oils do mix fine, so next service go back to Honda's recommended rating and you don't need to do anything silly like flush the system, just oil/filter change and ride away :thumbsup)

Sorry for the delay pal and I hope you're thoroughly fookin ashamed of yourself paying someone to change the oil on your 'bird lol :thumbsup)

Have to agree with Mick on this one.............why pay when you can get Mick to do it for fook all :clap: :wink)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:45 am

barsteward wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:Never saw this Kempy and am well surprised that nobody else bothered you with an answer :-?

Have to agree with Mick on this one.............why pay when you can get Mick to do it for fook all :clap: :wink)

Just very occasionally, someone buys the keys to a 'bird who is completely, utterly fookin useless. It's if nature has laughed at them and even evolution has forgotten to provide them with opposable thumbs. The position is so dire, so calamitous that any attempt at instilling common sense or rudimentary technical ability is a complete waste of time and effort.

Any of this ringing a bell Les :getthis) lol lol
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby barsteward » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:14 am

Haven't got a clue what yer on about Mick, by the way you know that nut thing underneath the bike, the one you take out and let all that excess gungie stuff out of during service?...I was wondering where you get a round spanner from to fit it. :oops) :roll) :wink)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:50 am

barsteward wrote:Haven't got a clue what yer on about Mick, by the way you know that nut thing underneath the bike, the one you take out and let all that excess gungie stuff out of during service?...I was wondering where you get a round spanner from to fit it. :oops) :roll) :wink)

Me toolbox usually :-? :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby barsteward » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:26 am

lol lol Have you got a spanner in your toolbox for fooked ignition wires? oh and one for re-mapping key to ECU? :D :mrgreen:
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Postby MaXX2 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:32 am

barsteward wrote:lol lol Have you got a spanner in your toolbox for fooked ignition wires? oh and one for re-mapping key to ECU? :D :mrgreen:

Alright, I"ll bite. Wassp??
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Simmo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01 am

barsteward wrote:lol lol Have you got a spanner in your toolbox for fooked ignition wires? oh and one for re-mapping key to ECU? :D :mrgreen:

All being well next Saturday :thumbsup) if the weathers shite I'll drive up in the car you'll need a couple of security bolts though

The barrel has the wires attached so it should just need re-mapping
Then just need maxx :mrgreen:
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Kempy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:20 pm

Been a long time since i got on the website and saw all these cheeky replies to my question!

The OP was about buying the oil, not getting someone else to put it in the bike...... that, i do myself thank you very much!!!

One year on, I am now redoing the oil and am going to get the 40. Cheers for the help
Kempy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby TRIPPO » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Good to hear from you Kempy

Halfrauds do a good deal on semi synthetic :thumbsup) :thumbsup) :thumbsup)
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby Kempy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Cheers, will check it out.
Kempy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Kempy wrote:Cheers, will check it out.

Hi again Kempy. As Trippo says...Halfrauds :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:59 am

MaXX2 wrote:
Just very occasionally, someone buys the keys to a 'bird who is completely, utterly fookin useless.

Never a truer word said :wink)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to Consumables