Motobatt - MBTX 12U. Any good ?

If your wondering what tyres to use or how long they last, or what type of brake pads to use etc. etc. then this is the place to look.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Motobatt - MBTX 12U. Any good ?

Postby Sircular » Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi all. Has anyone out there in Ixxra land , had, or has fitted a "Motobatt MBTX 12 U " ( which is the recommended upgrade for a xx ) to their B' Bird ? I've read a few reviews, ( both pro's & con's ) & would love to hear other xx owners opinions on this brand of battery. I' m thinking of getting one myself, to replace a knackered Yauasa. Thanks, kind regards, Len W. ( Sircular )
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Motobatt - MBTX 12U. Any good ?

Postby MaXX2 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:49 am

Don't know anything about that make Len, so wouldn't dream of bad-mouthing them.

Without being invited to, I would perhaps say though, that batteries are one of those things where saving cash may not be a good way to save cash! Yuasa are still the best out there that I know of. I only say that because Yuasa are OEM to the 'bird and at one point, I had 2 batteries, both well over a decade old and as good as new (Yes OB... really :wink) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ).

Some things are worth a gamble. If a cheap chain goes... replace it. If cheap brake pads are crap... replace them. If some make of HID unit doesn't do it for you... swap it. If a cheap battery goes though ... call the AA and an ambulance, coz you'll be at a cafe, on yoru own, in the arse end of nowhere and nothing will be working. :mrgreen:

The ambulance being for when you kick the shit out of youself, remembering this post lol lol
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Sircular » Sat May 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi Maxx 2. Don't know if you've googled "motobatt mbtx 12u", but they retail at between £45 & £50 online. So they're not cheap. They're manufactured in china for the american power sports market. and with 14 a/h, plus about 220 c.c.a.(cold cranking amps), should be more than able to handle the Bird's engine & electrics. On the motobatt website, they are the recommended upgrade for a xx . (Have a look) All I wanted to know is, has any Ixxra members got, or had one of these "motobatt" batteries. & what they think of it ! Coz I'm seriously looking to get one. Thanks, kind regards, Len W. (Sircular)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:05 am

Not trying to put you off in the least Len, it's always good to have these things tied and tested by a trusted source. Go where the urge takes you. Without even looking, I'm sure the website is truly epic (they all are after all), but I've no idea what the batteries are actually like.

Certainly the difference in price between them and Yuasa is quite small, so the decision is all yours to make... and let us know how you get on :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Sircular » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi All, Right, Recieved my new "Motobatt MBTX 12U" Battery, & had it on my `Bird about a month now. and I can highly reccomend this brand of battery. It has four posts, two poz & two neg` so you can fit it in any orientation. Great for adding extra electrics like heated grips or extra lights etc`without disturbing the poz` to the solenoid or the neg` to engine. Starts first time, every time. I tend to hook it up to my "Oxford oximiser" when the bike`s not being used for a few days. But i`m sure it (the Battery) doesn`t really need it. So, I can`t reccomend this battery highly enough. and would advise any xx rider who needs to get a replacement battery, to get one of these. One other thing - anyone know where I can get a battery strap ? Thanks. Stay upright, Len W. (Sircular)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Tazcbr1100xx » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:19 pm

My opinion, for what it's worth - not much usually - is that a month isn't that long to be able to fully test and 'recommend' anything which is designed and intended to last for a bloody long time :-? If you still have it up and running in 10 years time and you still recommend it, then maybe I'll buy one as the Yuasa I have on at the moment should be about ready for changing by then lol
Sorted!
Tazcbr1100xx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Mad Badger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Fer what it's worth. I've had a Motobatt gel battery on my Ducati 900SS for the last two years. The poor old gal don't get much use and spends most of the time in the garage. I used to get through Yuasa batteries on a regular basis and they always went flat and died. So, thought I'd give Motobatt a try and I have to admit it has been very impressive. The current OEM item on my xx is still going strong, probably because of regular use but as soon as it's time to buy a new one, I'll be buying a Motobatt for her too. Hope that helps?

Cheers 8)

Phil.
Mad Badger
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Sircular » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the positive info` about your "Motobatt" battery, Phil. I`d Just like to let you all know, I used my "motobatt" the other day to start a car, that hasn`t been started for about a year.(A mazda MX5) A guy who`s bought it, wanted to see the engine running, & (She who must be obayed,was out with our car) the only other battery was on my xx . So I took it off the bike, hooked it up to the mazda, & it done the job ! Cheers, Len w. (Sircular)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to Consumables