Where to put your crash bungs???

A place for er.... useful information.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Where to put your crash bungs???

Postby mr sat nav » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 pm

I got some crsh bungs from JAWS and followed the instructions putting them at the top of the fairing. I have noticed that there is a member sellling his 2001 BB on this site and he has his crash bungs placed at the bottom of his fairing?

Further investigations have revealed that different people have put them at the top or the bottom (not seen a combination of both yet) so is there a right and wrong place to put them?

I also got told that it was pointless putting them on as the BB's original bolts are sunk into the fairing so that if there is an accident they do not push in and penetrate the frame. So by putting bungs on you are more likely to cause more damage as they will knacker your frame??

I don't know why I listen to these stories really, even though you know they are likely to be a load of rubbish you still feel obliged to double check!!

So, gulp, thoughts, views and advice gratefully received............................................
mr sat nav
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Purely personal- but I always thought me xx was a bad place to put 'em :wink) :mrgreen: Hope it helps (but doubt it very, very much :roll) :mrgreen: )
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby aj » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:28 pm

top fairing position little damage if it falls over...high speed slide yer frame is a write off :roll)

bottom fairing position you smash yer nose cone it it falls over :banghead)
...high speed slide and everything but the frame is a write off :oops)

your choice :P

regards :wink)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 pm

Personally I woudn't bother...but if I did decide to go that way I'd just say fook it and fit stabilisers.
:mrgreen: :wink)

Don't like them. ...but if I had had them on when my Bird fell on its side in a car park after a long day out, then it'd have saved me having to respray the panel.....I never learn tho..I still haven't and wont fit them to my sleek, streamlined beautiful Bird.... 8)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:49 am

i had the big bastid R&G bungs on my xx. they were the only intact bits after my off. even with stood a saxo being parked on em. i had been told they would defo ruin the frame in an off, didnt tho, and they stick out 2" from the side :-?

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:57 am

Tigger wrote:i had the big bastid R&G bungs on my xx. they were the only intact bits after my off. even with stood a saxo being parked on em. i had been told they would defo ruin the frame in an off, didnt tho, and they stick out 2" from the side :-?

:-? ...so , it's good then is it for the bungs to be O.K. but the Bird written off anyway?
Tim
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Tim wrote:
Tigger wrote:i had the big bastid R&G bungs on my xx. they were the only intact bits after my off. even with stood a saxo being parked on em. i had been told they would defo ruin the frame in an off, didnt tho, and they stick out 2" from the side :-?

:-? ...so , it's good then is it for the bungs to be O.K. but the Bird written off anyway?

Not good exactly :-? - but not unusual either :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby mr sat nav » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks, that was actually quite useful!

Mine are on the top, as I am more likely to drop the bike than anything else (I hope!) so the plastics will be protected.

If I crash it it is likely to be a write off anyway, its the stupid little drop that would p**s me off!
mr sat nav
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Duck n Dive » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:03 pm

Can't see myself why anyone would put them on the lower fairing mounting points.

The upper points are a bracket fixed directly to the frame behind the bracket and so will be supported if having to carry the bikes' weight.

The lowers are actually "L" shaped bits of lightweight metal with one end attached to the casing and the other end simply supporting (rather than providing any strength) the fairing.

Even a static fall with them on the lower position would simply bend the bracket in and crack the fairing surely ???

And it can't possible be one of three "fairing join" positions ... there's nothing at all behind them :P

The JAWS ones should go ont he upper position .. anywhere else is daft.

The R&G biggies of course do go lower down .. after you've drilled the fairing and fitted the mounting points ....
Last edited by Duck n Dive on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck n Dive
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Tigger » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:42 am

mr sat nav wrote:its the stupid little drips that p**s me off!

its a welsh thing, init timtvat :twisted)

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby malatay » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:40 pm

I have them mounted at the top,and due to my very short,fat n hairies :oops) :oops) have dropped it twice with no damage
malatay
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Where to put your crash bungs???

Postby Sircular » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Dear mr sat nav, I agree with everthing said before, So, just to clarify,-- If your `shrooms are from Jaws, best to mount them at top of fairing. If they`re the R&G one`s, You`ll have to cut a hole in each side fairing panel !(Sharp intake of breath !!) Coz the mounting bolts, of the R&G ones, replace the top engine mounting bolts.! ( I`ve done this on a previous xx I once owned, and looks great, if done properly).So, to get the afore mentioned holes in the right place -- Take off side fairing panels,Carefully remove any sound deadening foam.( WD 40 & a small scraper will help), (you can re-attach with carpet adhesive later )(available from most DIY stores), loosen top engine bolts,(Both sides),so they stick out a bit, dab some paint on ends of bolts,re-attatch side fairing panels, press panels against bolts,and hey-presto, you have the paint marks on the inside of the panels. and now know where to start drilling. Hope this helps,Kind regards, Len W. (Sircular)
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to Useful Information