sprocket sizes

A place for er.... useful information.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

sprocket sizes

Postby dodger » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi tempted to play with sprocket sizes want to improve the low speed acceleration but dont want to make the bike unrideable anybody dropped a tooth or two on there bird that can advise me? xx xx
dodger
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: sprocket sizes

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 am

Thought about it but never bothered. If you fancy it though- have a look at this link it's the anorak's proactive guide to set up and adjustment and once you get the hang, it's a really handy piece of software.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

As a "Rule of thumb" sorta thing--- one at the front=3 at the rear ie if you drop one front tooth it's the equivalent of losing 3 rear teeth and the same applies to adding them. Losing a single rear tooth makes no real difference to the xx but do remember to check the accuracy of your speedo after making changes- it CAN have an significant adverse affect :wink) :mrgreen:

Enjoy your tinkering :clap: :clap:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby aj » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 am

dodger wrote:Hi tempted to play with sprocket sizes want to improve the low speed acceleration but dont want to make the bike unrideable anybody dropped a tooth or two on there bird that can advise me? xx xx

mornin bodger... 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds is toooo slow then :-? ... solution... fit a turbo or the like :ride)
but if you have an injection model try a power commander first. and a good service and tune up. 8)
probably not what you wanted to hear. :roll)

... personally i can't imagine wanting to get to 60 in 2 seconds or 100 in 5 seconds :P :P :P or do the standing 1/4 mile in less than 10 seconds :shock)

thought about converting it to a dragster..??? lol ..
or.. betterer still.. sell it and buy a tvatanium one... kinell are they fast off the mark :clap: :ride) lol

regards :mrgreen:
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Noooo---Noooo---Noooo don't knock it. It's a safe, very cheap and very effective way of tailoring the bike's performance to what you want. In California apparently, a huge number of riders (of loads of types of bikes) drop a front tooth to bring the bike up to pace, because they're so heavily down-tuned for emissions there.

To be honest, I don't know why I haven't done it meself. Drop a front tooth, gain a second or two up the 100 but lose a few mph off the top end, where I'll never use it anyway :wink) Actually, the reason I haven't done it is the speedo thing, it would pss me off even though I have sat nav which is always there.

T'other question I suppose, might be--- IF I had a bump away from the lights (SMIDSY or similar) AND (whilst it's unlikely)the insurance assessor noted the mod- would I be insured? Personally I think probably not :|

Anyhow, nuff bollixx--- there's more threads to fck up than this one rofl rofl
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby aj » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

MaXX2 wrote:Noooo---Noooo---Noooo don't knock it. It's a safe, very cheap and very effective way of tailoring the bike's performance to what you want.

:shock) ... never... i don't knock anyone with a spanner... 8)
yer never know when they may come in useful lol

regards :mrgreen:
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby dodger » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 pm

thanks for your advice the speedo issue is something to consider :P , not sure that a power commander will help with the bikes tall gearing and dont think the other half is likely to buy me a turbo anytime soon :( .sure the bike is more than fast enough being as its in the fastest colour( black) but by the time its over seven thou in third or above keeping my licence becomes a concern . :clap: :clap:
dodger
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:34 pm

Just to spit out the very last of what I've sort of picked up over the years :roll) :oops) - if you go for a smaller front sproc, you may want to order one off a VFR800A VTEC (Honda part no: 23801-MCW-D00). It's identical to the 'bird stock item, including the sound damper BUT- it carries 16 teeth rather than 17.

Who knows- for the sake of £30 quid, I may just ring Mister Silver lol lol
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby dodger » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:02 am

thanks maxx2 for the very useful link for sprocket and gearing setup info i found this very informative, also the vfr800 sprocket sounds like it might be worth a try still not sure wether i can get away without changing my chain if i lose one tooth at the front . :clap: :clap: :clap: :ride)
dodger
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 pm

No fixed answer to that. If your chain is in good nick and well up the adjustment scale, it should be fine and no worries. If it's worn and near the 'Outer Limits' you may need to replace it :mrgreen: Over to you really.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to Useful Information