bike alarms in france

A place for er.... useful information.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

bike alarms in france

Postby wade » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Just got back after a 3000 mile trip around europe, but on three different occasions the bike alarm would not turn off. I have a Datatool 433 fitted, after the first time a two hour wait for the breakdown truck i was informed the certain places in france used a signal that blacked the signal from the fob, i had to ride about 3/4 of a mile and then turn off the alarm.
riding with your horn sounding and flashers going no one even turned to look ,so if it happens to any one hope this post helps .
wade
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: bike alarms in france

Postby Oldbull » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for sharing this Wade but if you do a quick search you will see that we a well aware of this......

happened to me as well first time abroad on my Bird, didnt know untill after why it happens :banghead) :bigcry:

MY advice would be.... put the alarm in the bin asap :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:10 am

How do you get it started if you can't turn the alarm off? Doesn't it have an immobiliser?

Also my alarm (and I'm guessing most as my old one also did) has a process where I can turn off the alarm by doing a sequence on the ignition just in case a fob dies whilst out for a ride. Admittedly I do have to let the alarm run for 30 secs to do it.
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 am

Scotty wrote:How do you get it started if you can't turn the alarm off? Doesn't it have an immobiliser?

Also my alarm (and I'm guessing most as my old one also did) has a process where I can turn off the alarm by doing a sequence on the ignition just in case a fob dies whilst out for a ride. Admittedly I do have to let the alarm run for 30 secs to do it.

Scotty, you wont be able to do any sequence or any process as the alarm will be froze and imobilised..

again do a quick search and you will find all the answers to your questions to save typing it all out again... :thumbsup)

Honda spent hundreds of thousands of pounds developing an ignition system and then you put a £300 made in tiwan peice of shite alarm in circuit to interfere with it screwy get the pile of crap took off and put in the bin... If the scrotes want your bike they will have it, alarm or no alarm ... not to mention the battery woes they provide as well

Took mine off the day after I got back from France , plenty of alternatives to secure it without using a crap alarm :wink) :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm

I'm intrigued. Any idea what to search on?

I tried these without success :

+France +alarm
+alarm +arm
+alarm +issue
+alarm +problem
France
alarm

I also tried various on Google and haven't turned up anything. :|
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby yorkiebiker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I agree with odbull my mate has had same probs in france and HERE last week olivers mount outside cafe on top there is a big mast it was said you are going to have probs sure enough had to free wheel it quite a way away from the mast before he could get his alarm off and start the bike,same alarm datatool but havin said that my wifes alarm is datatool no probs ????
yorkiebiker
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Scotty wrote:I'm intrigued. Any idea what to search on?

try the search button at the top of the page on here at Ixxra... also some info on the darkside as well...

heres one link to get you started.... well documented on the bikeforums

http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/f ... arm+france

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5477

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl ... 80&bih=857

Edit: mine was a meta alarm, I thought it had over heated at first but I was wrong, I used the spare key for the petrol tank and left the ignition on as I darent dis arm the alarm to fill up ... took the edge off my trip :evil)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:09 am

Cheers.

Seems from your links it is just the radio waves stopping the fobs being received and that the manual over ride still works ... or shielf the fob and alarm and try again.

Great to know about otherwise it could causes a lot of confusion.

:thumbsup)
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Scotty wrote:Cheers.

Seems from your links it is just the radio waves stopping the fobs being received andthat the manual over ride still works... or shielf the fob and alarm and try again.

Great to know about otherwise it could causes a lot of confusion.

:thumbsup)

Not everytime it doesnt pal.... people have been stranded ... personally I wouldnt risk it ... you have been warned ....

Get the piece of crap in the bin , your new switchgear would have been sorted and up and running by now if it wasnt for the crappy alarm ... :wink) wait till it starts killing batteries and generator windings :shock)

8)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Oldbull wrote:Not everytime it doesnt pal.... people have been stranded ... personally I wouldnt risk it ... you have been warned ....

Get the piece of crap in the bin , your new switchgear would have been sorted and up and running by now if it wasnt for the crappy alarm ... :wink) wait till it starts killing batteries and generator windings :shock)

8)

I appreciate the warning as mentioned above :thumbsup)

My switchgear's up and running (200+miles on Sunday). It simply means I flip between side and dipped instead of off and dipped.
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Return to Useful Information