Kwaka ZZR 1400

A place for er.... useful information.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Kwaka ZZR 1400

Postby barsteward » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:52 am

Just found this whilst browsing another forum.
I must admit I have been tempted to go for a test ride and its nice to get a balanced view from a pearson who actually own and rides one.

Ok folks, I have it a week now and I kindly ran it in. It passed the 800kms barrier Friday afternoon, so I've been working it a little harder today.

Comfort. Riding position is fractionally more forward than the BB, you would hardly even notice it. Rode it 2 up today, and the passenger (a 6ft 15 stone bloke who regularly was passenger on the BB) said that the ZZR was more comfortable. He reckoned there was more room, and the pegs were a bit lower. It will need a DB though, I'm 6' 2 and it hits me in the chest just round the nippley bits!

Luggage. No bother fitting the tail pack that I used on the BB. Just needs 2 more bungees. Haven't tried the tank bag yet, have a magnetic one, so shouldn't be an issue ( even though half the tank is plastic! See next point!)

General feel. Feels like the BB is a 10 year old design. The ZZR1400 is so much more flickable, more stable, more manoeuverable, and easier to act the maggot on. As someone mentioned earlier, the tank is somewhat under the seat. Forward of the filler cap is air box and ram ducts covered by a plastic fairing. The petrol tank is from the filler cap to back under the seat. This stabilises it unbelievably at slow speeds. You can easily ride it round a car park on full lock.

Performance. Phenomenal. The acceleration builds from 3kprm onwards. By 5krpm the real surge comes and I swear it is frightening. It hurtles forwards so quickly that getting to the clutch going from 1st to 2nd is a problem. You can NOT even let one finger off the bars as you WILL loose grip on it! It feels that someone has lit a jet engine under you when it takes off. It is just amazing. The power continues on and on, and on...... I have it capped at 7.5krpm for the moment to continue running in, and I reckon thats all I'll ever need. It really is scary the power.

The one I got has ABS fitted, that is a bit strange as when you are braking hard for a corner or a set of lights, the back pedal is tapping back as you loose traction when the rear lifts a bit. Your brain automaticaly says ease off the front as you're starting to skid, then you remember, it's the rear talking not the front.....! Will take getting used to.

It pulls like a train in any gear. The 60mph to 100mph in 6th is incredible too. 100mph is about 5200 rpm, goes red at 11000.

Daily use. Very usable. As the power kicks in above the 3k mark and then bursts in shouting at 5k rpm it is fine around town. You don't get sudden blasts, but you can if you want!

Digital dash. Full of info: Two trip clocks and a tacho, temp gauge in bars, fuel gauge in bars, average MPG, actual current MPG, battery voltage, gear postiion indicator, and tank range. It is fited with a programmable shift light too. Oh and if you want you can change the language of the display.

Fueling. With under 1000kms on the clock, I'm still running in, and at 90mph in sixth I was getting 47mpg (or so the bike said anyway), that will only improve as things get smoother inside.

Underseat storage. Next point please.!!! NONE! I had an alarm and a Scottoiler fitted and that's it. Might squeeze a Mars bar, but that's it. There is a cable for helmets that locks under the seat on one side, and a lock thing on the other side for another helmet.

Brakes. Radials up front, petal disks all round. One fingered stopping from any speed is instant. Incredible.

Suspension. Front; rebound, compression, and preload adjustable. Fine as stock fitting so far having used it on main roads (your equivelant of B roads) and our B roads (your equivelant of fookin Z roads or something!!)
Rear is Preload, rebound and compression adjustable too.

Service intervals are fine too. Oil and filter at 1000kms, and every 12000 after that. Air filter every 18000. Back tyre every day I reckon.......!

HOT PIPES!! The cans get extremely hot, and will burn you badly. I scratched my head after finding this and asked why. Of course.... It's fitted with a Catalytic converter.... what temp do they operate at?? That's right; silly degrees centigrade.

Lighting. Yes they work. Always on are the two closest to the nose, and two side lights up closest to the mirrors. Heads are the two between the others and damn they work!

Mirrors, slightly less of a view than the BB, but way more stable.

Rear lights are LED's and look like a devils frown. They should.... it is....

Looks. Initially I didn't like the looks in the mags, but in the flesh it's something to admire. It really looks fantastic. Pics just don't do it justice.

Altogether it is an extremely capable bike. Indecently fast, and will take time to get used to, honestly, I used to put the Bird to it's limits, but the ZZR1400 has moved those limits to another Continent. It is genuinely scary.
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby John » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:58 am

:D now post some of the replies Les :wink)
Mid life crisis in a 16v GTi
John
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby REEFER » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:27 am

well thats speedy up the kwaka dealer no doubt :bigcry: ..
any second hand ones about yet :oops)
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ladybird » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:17 pm

Thanks Les :clap: Must admit I sat on one the other day at our local dealers I cannot believe how light they are....
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

ZZR1400

Postby out of sight out of mind » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:58 pm

Had a blat! when in Tiwan, its the bizzzzzzzzzz felt like riding a 400, except quicker much. the display looked like Star ship stuff. Thumbs up by me. looks big clumsy but best thing yet, I still like what you get with a xx
out of sight out of mind
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Akuji » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:23 pm

and at the end of the day it's a kawasaki which means kawasaki build quality. When my mate had and 04 zx6r after less than six months the can hanger snapped and the exhaust fell off - nearly had him off as the linkpipe went under the back wheel. :roll)

But ya pays yer money etc....... :wink)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Thay don't last like a Honda

Postby out of sight out of mind » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:21 am

True thats why I still have xx as I use a bike. All other makes can't handle being used all year round. my one thrives on neglect! Loves it! :headbang)
out of sight out of mind
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby dufus » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:13 pm

I had one last october, for 7 weeks then sold it !

On the positives
it far outhandles/outbrakes and feels lighter than the bird, has the best mirrors I have ever had, the most usefull digital display I have ever used and it feels more like a 600 rather than a 1400, if it was just me I would have another one

On the negative, boot rubbing will remove the very thin black coating on the frame, the handling is helped by using sport tyres i.e. bt 014's, they won't last long. There is no underseat storage. givi do a pannier set but not a top box, kawasaki do a sw motech type top box plate but do not reccomend anything above a 35 litre, because they are not an everyday seen bike even some kawasaki dealers havn't seen them to service them yet. As it isn't just me then no bike yet has been able to beat the bird pound for pound
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to Useful Information