Autocom information

A place for er.... useful information.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Autocom information

Postby zorroe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:26 pm

I'm looking for an autocom system that will cope with a pillion and music. They all look good on paper, but any suggestions as well as a rough guide to pricing would go down well.

If you know the best place to get your hands on one please fell free to pass on any info.

Cheers
zorroe
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:44 pm

I use an Autocom Smart 7 Zorroe. It's about the size of a cigarette box, permanently bike mounted and currently it deals with pillion, mp3, mobile phone, sat nav and 2 way rad without problem. The whole Autocom range has been updated around 6 months or so ago and it's easy now to pic up a full kit off ebay for a few quid.

BUT-they also do a larger version, the name of which escapes me. Barsteward has one and the main difference seems to be that the unit itself can be battery powered and a 2 way radio can be powerd from the Autocom itself. You can't do these things via the smart 7.

The setting up is the key thing with any Autocom. The electrical connections and mounting for the Smart 7 are childs play, but when I piled on the phone, music etc all at once I couldn't get anything to work right :banghead) :banghead) The art of it was easy enough though- Take yer time. I unplugged everything and put em back on one at a time until they were right.

All instructions and manuals for wiring and set-up of Autocom units are available to download from here:

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

along with the prices for their latest units. Always your call m8, but have a serious look at ebay, the units on there are very cheap at the moment for the older S 7 and pro units but the quality is still up there with the best of 'em

Last thing m8- you may have to buy various cables as extras from Autocom depending on what you're wiring in to it but- whatever else ya do try and make sure you get two helmet kits with yer system, to buy a helmet kit for the pillion is the best part of £100 (or was when I had to get one) so get everything ya can with the unit itself.

Good Luck- any probs ya know where we are :wink) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Re: Autocom information

Postby natrebben » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:31 am

zorroe wrote:I'm looking for an autocom system that will cope with a pillion and music. They all look good on paper, but any suggestions as well as a rough guide to pricing would go down well.

If you know the best place to get your hands on one please fell free to pass on any info.

Cheers

Zorroe,

I see you are in Coleraine me too i have a super pro avi which is fitted to my bike and runs the intercom Sat-Nav which runs off the bike power and bike to bike system you are welcome to come up and have a look give me a call my number is 70354272.
Steve
Avoid Fruits and Nuts you are what you eat!
natrebben
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby zorroe » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Cheers for the information. Managed to get a good deal on an Autocom Active plus unit from a chap in Wales (of all places). Looking forward to christening it on a tour of the highlands next month.

Good to see another sensible soul from the great North West has the xx bug too :clap: .

Zorroe
zorroe
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Return to Useful Information