TO GEL OR NOT TO GEL

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

TO GEL OR NOT TO GEL

Postby pedal_pusher » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:12 pm

TO ALL xx
I THINK I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION TO PUT ULTRA SEAL IN MY TYERES :D USINGING MY BIKE DAILY AS TRANSPORT BACK AND TO WORK AND NOT EXPERSING ANY PROBLEMS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS I WAS NOT GOING TO PUT ANY IN THIS TIME WHEN I RENEWED MY TYERES. :eek) I CHANGED MY MIND AND PUT SOME IN AND I AM GLAD WHILE COMING HOME FROM WORK ON THURSDAY I CLIPPED SOMTHING ON THE ROAD AND THOUGHT NOTHNG OF IT.1 MILE DOWN THE ROAD IN A LEFT HAND SWEPPING BEND THE BACK END OF THE BIKE LET GO I MANAGED TO SLOW THE BIKE DOWN TO PUT IT DOWN WITH NO DAMAGE :D.HELP FROM A CAR DRIVER TO PICK THE BIKE OFF ME NO PAIN.I JUST THOUGHT I HAD GONE INTO THE CORNER TO HARD SET OFF AGAIN NEXT CORNER BIKE SLID AGAIN SO STOPPED TO CHECK WHAT WAS WRONG AND FOUND BIG BOLT IN MY TYERE :bigcry:.LONG WALK HOME HA HA TAKING IT TO GET IT FIXED THEY SAID IF I HAD NOT HAD THE GEL IN IT WOULD HAVE TROWN ME OFF WHEN IT WHENT IN THE GEL LET IT DEFLATE SLOWLY.SO IT WILL GO IN ALL MY TYERS FROM NOW ON P_P
pedal_pusher
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby jaspersarotty » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:11 pm

whats this gel , where do you get it from , does it effect the tyre when you change them, sounds like a bloody good idea.
jaspersarotty
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby XX-Bernie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:48 pm

More info please..........What is it and who makes it? :-?

More importantly, can a puncture be repaired after it has been applied? :-?

.....AND STOP SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYESIGHT AIN'T THAT BAD YET!!!! :mrgreen:
When opportunity comes knocking on your door.......
XX-Bernie
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

re gel

Postby pedal_pusher » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:53 pm

HIYA XX BERIE
THE GEL USED WAS ULTRA SEAL COST ME £25 YOU CAN GET IT FROM ANY MOTOR CYLE SPARE SHOP. :D IN THE BOTTLE THERE IS ENOUGH GEL TO DO BOTH TYRES.I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY WHEEL VIBERATING :clap: OVER THE YEARS I HAVE USED IT IT HAS SEALED ALL PUNCHERS BY NAILS AND GLASS :D .AS SAID IN FIRST MAIL IT WAS THE GEL THAT CONTROLED THE DEFLATION AS IT WAS TO BIG A HOLE TO HAVE REPAIRED SO NEW TYERE NEEDED :bigcry: WELL WORTH A TRY P_P
pedal_pusher
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Poacher » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:51 am

PEDAL PUSHER! Please switch CAPS LOCK OFF! as there is no need to shout.

Having had a rear puncture in Scotland and without any GEL in tyres, you notice the deflation straight away when you get the puncture, it does not throw you off unless you do something stupid. Whatever went in my tyre was thrown out, the remaining hole was so big it could not be plugged as temporary roadside repair measure as you have stated, the gel would not of controlled the deflation any better IMHO.

As we all know the tyres pressure is critical on the xx and as soon as you lose the 42psi in rear the handling goes to pot.

Only my opinion but I wont use anything in the tyres because of the chance of balance being put out as the gel flies around inside tyre.

:roll)
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby speedfreak » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:25 am

ultraseal is excellent and I would recommend it :thumbsup)

but.

Only put it in the back tyre as it can affect the front end under breaking and speeds.

And if you take into account 99% of punctures happen in the back tyre it makes sense.

Also if a tyre receives a dangerous wound, Ultraseal allows air to bleed, providing additional time for the driver to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop. This safety factor alone can prevent blowouts from becoming a dangerous situation. Many security and law enforcement fleets utilize Ultraseal for its ability to provide a high degree of safety and reliability rather than just Ultraseal's cost savings and tyre life extension qualities.

And this is a real puncture
An Army HUMMV tire treated with Ultraseal's Extra Heavy Duty (EHD) grade (combat formula) survived a shot through the sidewall with a 7.62 NATO round during the U.S. Army Combat Tire Survival Program at the Nevada Test Center. The bullet entered and exited through both of the tire's sidewalls and Ultraseal sealed the wound instantly, with no measurable air loss.

I swear by the stuff and it fix’s slow punctures that HID got in the new tyres on the beemer :banghead) :banghead) .

And the lawnmower :banghead)

And the Quad :banghead)

More info at

http://www.ultraseal.com/

Got my last lot from M&P :wink)
There is nothing wrong with the way I ride.

Just stay 15 feet in front or 15 feet behind. You need to be 15 feet to my left or right.

Any closer and your MINE all MINE
speedfreak
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby pmitch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 am

speedfreak wrote:ultraseal is excellent and I would recommend it :thumbsup)

but.

Only put it in the back tyre as it can affect the front end under breaking and speeds.

And if you take into account 99% of punctures happen in the back tyre it makes sense.

Also if a tyre receives a dangerous wound, Ultraseal allows air to bleed, providing additional time for the driver to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop. This safety factor alone can prevent blowouts from becoming a dangerous situation. Many security and law enforcement fleets utilize Ultraseal for its ability to provide a high degree of safety and reliability rather than just Ultraseal's cost savings and tyre life extension qualities.

An Army HUMMV tire treated with Ultraseal's Extra Heavy Duty (EHD) grade (combat formula) survived a shot through the sidewall with a 7.62 NATO round during the U.S. Army Combat Tire Survival Program at the Nevada Test Center. The bullet entered and exited through both of the tire's sidewalls and Ultraseal sealed the wound instantly, with no measurable air loss.

I swear by the stuff and it fix’s slow punctures that HID got in the new tyres on the beemer :banghead) :banghead) .

And the lawnmower :banghead)

And the Quad :banghead)

More info at

http://www.ultraseal.com/

Got my last lot from M&P :wink)

Living and working in Birmingham this could come in handy...I think I will get some :mrgreen:
pmitch
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby malatay » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:25 am

I used ultraseal for the first time on my last visit to the mainland and had no problems,But on returning had a slow puncture which neither i nor the garage could find :banghead) .All the ultraseal had to be removed and the tyre refitted before the hole could be found.It was all a bit of a pain so i won't be using it again
malatay
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby XX-Bernie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:03 pm

malatay wrote:All the ultraseal had to be removed and the tyre refitted before the hole could be found.It was all a bit of a pain so i won't be using it again

That's what I wanted to hear!!! :|
When opportunity comes knocking on your door.......
XX-Bernie
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:28 pm

...just checking the date here....Hmmm thought I was in a time warp.... :P

:mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:30 pm

speedfreak wrote:

:bigshock) ...they even practice friendly fire? :banghead)

...you can also get it at Halfords you know.... :roll)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby speedfreak » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Tim wrote: :bigshock) ...they even practice friendly fire? :banghead)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
There is nothing wrong with the way I ride.

Just stay 15 feet in front or 15 feet behind. You need to be 15 feet to my left or right.

Any closer and your MINE all MINE
speedfreak
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to And The Survey Said....