Quickshifter,Powershifter,gear indicator

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Quickshifter,Powershifter,gear indicator

Postby FIREDRAGON » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:20 am

Blackbird Quickshifter and Powershifter. Thanks aj, I had a language expert lend me a book "Teach thysen aj"

The Translogic system comes as a quickshifter gear lever switch and controller which is used to momentarily (virtually unnoticeable) cut the signal to the Injectors or coils. There are two types of switch, race pattern or road pattern. The race pattern could be fitted inside the fairing cowl with a bit of cutting but I had the road pattern bought from e-Bay.
Dscf1400.jpg

Quickshifter 1

I mounted the controller above the bike ECU in the tail. This kept the wires to the injector signals very short.
Optional extras are the diode cluster shift light (bttm left pic) and the digital display (bttm middle) which has gear indictor, lap timer and rev bar display. The gear indicator and rev bar require connecting to the ECU also and again the wires are very short.
The wiring takes about one hour or so to do – seat cowl off etc.
I did not want to drill any holes anywhere for the installation so the gear lever connection took a little while to work out as the operating rod has to move through the correct distance and angle and the bird gear lever is tiny with a bend just where I needed to fix the homemade mounting.
The programming allows the identification of the gears and the shift light-on rpm.
Once installed, the unit allows full throttle up changes without rolling off the throttle or using the clutch. It also makes up gear changes at lower revs without the clutch consistently smooth.
dash.jpg

Display 1
dash2jpg.jpg
dash2jpg.jpg (5.91 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

Display 2

translogic 003.jpg

Quickshifter 2

Phase two.

I had been so pleased with the quickshifter unit that when I saw a used Translogic Powershifter advertised I bought that. This has the same digital readout etc but incorporates a linear actuator so that gear changes can be carried out by pressing two buttons (up and down) on the bars. I have Gilles bars and I think the buttons could be a tight clearance to bodywork on standard bars. Mounting the powershifter to the gear lever needs to be more precise than with the quickshifter but the overall fit is very neat and is all within the curve of the gear lever.
1fbd_1.jpg

Buttons 1
PS.jpg

Powershifter 1

Apart from the full throttle, no clutch up changes at the touch of a button, the controller can be programmed to automatically select up changes at a predetermined rpm. This is really a bit more drag strip than road but can be fun. Normal foot gear changes if required are not affected.
Legal riding makes a clutchless button gear change at say 4-5k almost undetectable.
The used quickshifter e-Bay price is around the same as a new gear indicator price and incorporates the gear indicator so you are actually saving the planet. The used powershifters are pricier and rarer but cost an awful lot less than the eyeball melting price new.
FIREDRAGON
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: Quickshifter,Powershifter,gear indicator

Postby dufus » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:30 am

Good write up and thanks for the pictures

mind you lose the kankles and fat wrist's and old eyes and your gear change time will be just as fast
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to And The Survey Said....