MAXTON SUSPENSION

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

MAXTON SUSPENSION

Postby ianblackbird » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:44 pm

I wanted to share a nugget with you all - Maxton, UK. After working their magic on an early Hinckley Triumph of mine many years ago I decided to send them my forks and (Ohlins) shock for similar treatment a few weeks ago. They didn't disappoint. The shock was supposed to have been supplied set up for me - but it wasn't until they fitted a new spring to it that I felt the difference. Also new springs and a cartridge conversion to the forks. Latter gives rebound and preload adjusters. The bike now flies around on rails and if you think your standard set-up does too - it doesn't! Short of potholes, no road surface has thus far unsettled the bike at all and I've ridden it hard (I do trackdays on a gsxr1000) and soft. Incidentally, the fork bottoms were - as they are wont to get - pretty ugly so Maxton sent them for powder-coating while they had them in. Better than new now. It's also on Dunlop Roadsmarts which I also recently fitted after reading throe' the forums. No idea how long the back will take to square but they're fantastic right now. The ride is also far more compliant, softening the bumps and jolts I and pillion used to get but without rolling about or diving under braking. I think it's the single biggest difference you can make to the bike; that and steel lines/HHpads so the damn thing stops properly with minimal effort at the lever. Thanks for reading.
ianblackbird
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: MAXTON SUSPENSION

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Nice one Ian :clap: :clap: How much :-? :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Very interesting Ian. Nice one..and like Maxx2....a break down in costs if ya can.

:clap:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:18 pm

I must be really bad.

I can never trust someones first post when they are blowing smoke up a suppliers ring piece. Always makes me think it's a setup.

Forgive me forum for I have sinned. :oops)
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Not sinned at all Scotty

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Scotty wrote:I must be really bad.

I can never trust someones first post when they are blowing smoke up a suppliers ring piece. Always makes me think it's a setup.

Nah, totally agree with you Scotty. Always find that strange. Straight in and all that. but any info is better than no info aint it. It's just reading material.

You have to remember also that there is a hell of a lot tried and tested stuff and info on all aspects of the Bird on Ixxra , the Dark Side and other BB forums, so we're all pretty wordly wise and don't take any old stuff lightly.

..and he did wait about 15 minutes from joining before posting. lol

Anyrode ian. welcome to Ixxra . :thumbsup)

What bike you got then..that you did this suspension stuff to?

:mrgreen:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Not sinned at all Scotty

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:30 am

T.Murphy wrote:
Scotty wrote:I must be really bad.

Nah, totally agree with you Scotty. Always find that strange. Straight in and all that. but any info is better than no info aint it. It's just reading material.
You have to remember also that there is a hell of a lot tried and tested stuff and info on all aspects of the Bird on Ixxra , the Dark Side and other BB forums, so we're all pretty wordly wise and don't take any old stuff lightly.

..and he did wait about 15 minutes from joining before posting. lol

Anyrode ian. welcome to Ixxra . :thumbsup)

What bike you got then..that you did this suspension stuff to?

:mrgreen:

+1. Rather know and forget something useless, than never have been told in the first place :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby ianblackbird » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 am

Morning ye doubters! No worries, I thought it looked a bit like an ad' for Maxton but didn't quite know how to avoid it! I have a '98 carb model in black; Givi system; you know about the brake lines and tyres; also have a Corbin Gunfighter which weighs a ton and looks pretty ugly from anywhere but the profile but stops the otherwise crampy/achy leg syndrome I get with the standard seat - weird though because it closes the gap between knee and tank rather than opens it; it also means I can flat-foot really easily too. I did make enquiries of a Brit which the forums here mentioned was good for gel/non-gel seats but haven't progressed it though his seats looked pretty good..

Maxton's fork conversion cost thus :
Service £100
Seals £25
GP20 Cartridge Conversion £395
Powder coat sliders £80
Rearspring for Ohlins unit £70
Plus vat

I think this is pretty amazing considering the results - cost of a race rep' RX7 lid? I haven't ridden a bike yet which came out of the crate with suspension that worked as well as a personally tailored set-up from the people who do nothing else and work with topflight race teams. It's just not practical for a manufacturer to hit this level and stay competitively priced. Also you don't have to have the cartridge conversion; if you're not bothered about having preload and rebound adjustment then I think you'll save a couple of hundred quid and still have a fabulous ride tailored to your weight and the riding circumstances you most use - i.e. whether solo, 2-up, track, road etc.. Bear in mind the rear shock makes the biggest overall difference. Maxton do a complete replacement unit but I can't remember cost - look them up. I figured the Ohlins really should be good enough it just needed their expert intervention. If you're still on the OE get a Maxton unit and you'll never look back. I ought to be on commission didn't I?!

Hope this lot is of some help. I'll try to post a couple of pictures if I can work out how it's done!
ianblackbird
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby ianblackbird » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 am

..err btw I've had the bike 10yrs/22k miles ; I know that's not a lot compared with you interstellar types but it's enough to get an idea for its personality positives and defects. I've been riding for 32yrs - since 16. Many thanks for the welcome signs - always nice to 'belong'!

One for you guys - I put LSL bar risers on a few years ago but noticed a lot of stuff written about using VFR bars - do they come up higher than simple risers and without snagging?
ianblackbird
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm

The VFR bars lift an inch over standard Ian and don't snag on the brake/clutch hoses.

Nice write up on the Maxton conversion as well. I was due a service on the Ohlins this year but let it slide given the low(ish) milage during the three-season monsoon we've just had. I may just pitch it to 'em next winter and the fork conversion is almost a certainty as well me thinks. :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Scotty » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 pm

ianblackbird wrote:Many thanks for the welcome signs - always nice to 'belong'!

oops

A genuine welcome :thumbsup) .... now explain why you're so late arriving? :smile:
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby aj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:53 pm

done 50k miles on my ohlins... haven’t noticed any degradation in ride, comfort, handling or
any other performance criteria come to that... :P :roll)

can't think of a reason to have em striped for a rebuild :-? ...may be in another 50k perhaps lol

regards
aj :wink)

oh.. and welcome ironlackturd .. have fun 8)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Scotty wrote:
ianblackbird wrote:Many thanks for the welcome signs - always nice to 'belong'!

oops

A genuine welcome :thumbsup) .... now explain why you're so late arriving? :smile:

If it's the warm, loving feeling yer after Ian, nip up to the New Members section and stick a post up introducing yourself mate :thumbsup) You'll be swapping warm kisses a hot shower in no time at all :mrgreen: Down here in the 'Survey' section, stuff's a bit more businesslike :thumbsup)

You are more than welcome though :)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby ianblackbird » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks MaXX2; v helpful & noted. Know what you mean; I haven't had opportunity to do more than 4k on the road during the past couple yrs - little down time; as for rain/snow - been there, done that, don't need/want to anymore. I guess I went ahead because I like things to perform at 100% when I do get the chance to ride and I knew from past experience how it would make the whole experience more rewarding.. Cheers Scotty - just not enough time. Thanks for the New Member advice - given the option you present businesslike will do fine! aj - excellent to find a rider satisfied with his lot. As Dave Allen might have said, 'Goodnight, thank you and may your 50k mile suspension go with you' :)
ianblackbird
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to And The Survey Said....