Headlight...

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Headlight...

Postby MaXX2 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Just for info.

As many of you will be aware, I've had to sort a new headlight for the bike after my recent off. First thing I did was price up a new one from David Silver which was £277+VAT (£55.44) + P&P (£15) = the princely sum of £374.44. Bollox to that.

Next fleabay. A second hand unit, with 2 broken/ plastic repaired mounting points was on at £200 BIN or best offer. I tried £150 which was rejected and I wasn't even tempted to pay more for a 12 year old damaged/repaired unit, so I took a chance and bought this-

Headlight

Risky really, but at a cost of less than £98 all in, it had to be worth a try. It's now arrived (16 days)-

The general build quility seems the similar to the original. I can't see any gaps or weaknesses that stand out. I scratched the lens plastic on the new one and the original Honda unit (across the very top edge and therefore invisible) and couldn't tell any difference in the pressure needed to mark it (for what such an unscientific test is worth)-

The lens is of the 'flat beam' type and legal here and on the continent without modification.

front.JPG

The rear of the unit is much the same. The small rubber vent is fitted on the new one, the adjusters are loose and easy to use and the bulbs fitted neatly, if a little more tightly than with the standard unit. I'm sure the ad said the new unit came with the bulb rubber covers, but this one definately didn't-

rear.JPG

Finally the under side. I didn't know before, but the sidelight reflector on the standard unit is a bayonet fitted plate affair, so even if you damage your original one, make sure you FULLY strip the useful parts before binning it! The original plate slotted home without a problem and all the bulbs, rubbers and mount plate are now mounted and the unit is ready for fitting when the nose comes back from painting.

The only possible downside, is I don't know about the fit until the nose comes back. I've compared the mount points to those on my OEM unit and they look identical. Bottom line----- I have a new headlight with change from £100, and if I'd have gone to the cheapest Honda provider, it would have cost £350.

I also refused to pay £430 + VAT + P&P for a nose fairing, buying one in from Poland for £134 all in. I'll write up about that once me spray fella has given me the benefit of his knowledge :thumbsup)
Attachments
under.JPG
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Re: Headlight...

Postby aj » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:12 pm

nice 1... will you be fitting the HIDS.. :-? :-?

regards 8)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:57 pm

No 62,

looks like its fitted :P
Last edited by Mister Majestik on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:32 pm

aj wrote:.

nice 1... will you be fitting the HIDS.. :-? :-?

regards 8)
aj

Fitted. Headlight only. Useless in main beam (100W)

ramo wrote:No :P 62,

looks like its fitted

What's No :P 62 Steve :-?
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby aj » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:40 pm

MaXX2 wrote:
What's No :P 62 Steve :-?

chicken stirfry...with fried lice lol

regards
aj :wink)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Oldbull » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:49 pm

look at it this way Mick, the bird light has got to be the worst performing headlight ever fitted in a motorcycle,
so anything else you put in CANNOT be any worse :D

looks like youve scored a winner with a great find mate :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:08 pm

mick,

AJ, now belives he's 62, bless him,

nice blackbird mirror for someone -

Item number: 260790345889

your new headlight looks good, mick
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 am

Oldbull wrote:look at it this way Mick, the bird light has got to be the worst performing headlight ever fitted in a motorcycle,
so anything else you put in CANNOT be any worse :D

looks like youve scored a winner with a great find mate :thumbsup)

Many a true word Dave----many a true word :mrgreen:

ramo wrote:mick,

AJ, now belives he's 62, bless him,

nice blackbird mirror for someone -

Item number: 260790345889

your new headlight looks good, mick

Ahaaa!! :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:39 pm

For the record, the fit is excellent. It slotted straight in and filled the nose fairing cut-out perfectly. All-in-all, if I ever need a new headlamp, I'll just buy one of these because I can destroy 3 of them for the price of one Honda unit and still be £80 in profit! :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Oldbull » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Result Mick well done pal, got to save this as a sticky or the like :thumbsup) :rockon)

I can destroy 3 of them for the price of one Honda unit and still be £80 in profit

was gonna say two down and one to go then,, but thought the better of it while your not feeling at your best :P :wink) :wink) :mrgreen:
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:04 pm

Oldbull wrote:Result Mick well done pal, got to save this as a sticky or the like :thumbsup) :rockon)

I can destroy 3 of them for the price of one Honda unit and still be £80 in profit

was gonna say two down and one to go then,, but thought the better of it while your not feeling at your best :P :wink) :wink) :mrgreen:

Bollox Dave-- you say whatever takes yer mind, I'm as happy as the sandman up 'ere :D If I wasn't, I'd do something about it :wink) :thumbsup)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:23 am

MaXX2 wrote:For the record, the fit is excellent. It slotted straight in and filled the nose fairing cut-out perfectly. All-in-all, if I ever need a new headlamp, I'll just buy one of these because I can destroy 3 of them for the price of one Honda unit and still be £80 in profit! :mrgreen:

..and you probably will moosh, probably will.

Good thinking. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:11 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:For the record, the fit is excellent. It slotted straight in and filled the nose fairing cut-out perfectly. All-in-all, if I ever need a new headlamp, I'll just buy one of these because I can destroy 3 of them for the price of one Honda unit and still be £80 in profit! :mrgreen:

..and you probably will moosh, probably will.

Good thinking. :thumbsup)

:wink) :D
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to And The Survey Said....