VFR handlebars/clip-ons

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

VFR handlebars/clip-ons

Postby MaXX2 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Some folks will already know this some not, may save some money though.

Following the last off I had, I was left with a knackered rt side VFR VTEC bar and a bill of £150 to replace it, which I simply wasn't inclined to bother with. I had a look at alternatives for a better price and bought a pair of VFR800Fi (1998-2001) bars for £40 the pair (plus delivery) off fleabay, to see what the score was. There are 3 principle differences, two of which are academic-

- The VFR units are for a 41mm fork top, the XX being 43mm
Take them to an engineering co and ask them to wire 2mm out of there. My neighbour's an engineer and scotched it for me for nothing. At 'shop rate' he reckons £30 would do it, but only if the shop has a wirer, coz apparently the shape of the bars makes them a right cow to jig to a grinder/milling machine.

- The VFR units locating tags are in the wrong position to seat properly on the XX design
Up to you is this. They can simply be ground off or, if you're minded to (as I was) leave them on. When fitted the tabs sit on top of the upper fork clamps and add an exact 5mm further raise

- The VFR unit's mounting bolt is at the front rather than the rear
Couldn't give a fook personally, can't even notice, but at least you're aware of it

Other than that, they're the same design (neat Honda cast alloy) with the same inch rise over stock XX units. Dealing with the issues was easy, low cost (free if you know a dude) and does the same job as the VTEC jobbies and just to take the pss a while, my remaining VTEC lft hand bar sold on ebay today for £97 - enough to do another XX conversion and have change.

If you want raised bars to look like OEM, it may be a way forward for ya :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Re: VFR handlebars/clip-ons

Postby Tigger » Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 am

Kept falling asleep during that, can you mill the text down a bit too? Just so i can make it alive to the end? :thumbsup) :P

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 am

Nice one Maxx2. :clap: :clap:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Tigger wrote:Kept falling asleep during that, can you mill the text down a bit too? Just so i can make it alive to the end? :thumbsup) :P

Can't be arsed and besides, it's your money yer wasting sleeping through it, so why would I bother :wink) :mrgreen:

T.Murphy wrote:Nice one Maxx2. :clap: :clap:

As always for the good folks in here, my pleasure ol' fruit :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Oldbull » Mon May 14, 2012 6:39 pm

while we are on the subject, Ive been trying to sorce a set off the new 1200 vfr to give them a go, they are taller than the old vfr and are 43mm :)

rare as rockin horse at the minute tho,, but that stupid bike mite be good for somthing afterall :D

not sure they will work on the bird or not so dont go buying a set if your not prepared to gamble :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Cool--- Not exactly a cheap option (same price as VTEC's within a buck or two), but let us know how ya go Dave :thumbsup)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Wed May 16, 2012 3:34 am

Oldbull wrote:while we are on the subject, Ive been trying to sorce a set off the new 1200 vfr to give them a go, they are taller than the old vfr and are 43mm :)

rare as rockin horse at the minute tho,, but that stupid bike mite be good for somthing afterall :D

not sure they will work on the bird or not so dont go buying a set if your not prepared to gamble :thumbsup)

If they are taller, pipes might not reach, the pipes are a strectch as it is when u do the mod? :-?

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to And The Survey Said....